Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Oct 29th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Oh joy... to be asked for ID when buying booze
Better than being searched by the police with metal detectors because you decided to be in the clutches of British Transport Police:

Henry Porter

Is stuff like this going on in NZ?

K.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:08 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Thats it. Now I have to
Well you can't say we didn't warn you , I thought it must be divine the way some of the locals go on about it so had a go at making it and honestly I have never tasted anything so wrong in my life!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:18 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kt0157
Better than being searched by the police with metal detectors because you decided to be in the clutches of British Transport Police:

Henry Porter

Is stuff like this going on in NZ?

K.
Probably is but on a smaller scale
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:41 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
I have never tasted anything so wrong in my life!
Like the saying. Its cool
Old Oct 30th 2006, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Amanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Genesis
Shall we start a joke thread? How do you tell a plane load of Brits has landed at Auckland? The whining continues after the engines are off.
You've got the ending of the joke wrong.

How do you know when a plane load of Brits has landed in Auckland? The GDP of NZ has increased by 50%.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 9:10 pm
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by soulflour
The commissions are high because REAgents work purely on comission, they're not salaried like in the UK.
That isn't the reason, salaries in the UK are still paid out of the commissions, and NZ houses sell just as quickly and for similar multiples of average income. Estate agents operate an informal cartel to keep prices up, and that's easier to maintain in a small population. The Internet will change this but broadband takeup needs to be higher first.

By international standards NZ is not too bad (see here for example), commissions in the UK are among the lowest in the world (makes up for the 3% stamp duty I guess). In the US there are usually two agents per transaction, one for the buyer and one for the seller, which can drive commissions as high as 6-7%. Australian agents are on about 2.5% but then there's the horrific stamp duty to pay as well.

Last edited by cypherpunk; Oct 30th 2006 at 9:25 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2006, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by soulflour
The commissions are high because REAgents work purely on comission, they're not salaried like in the UK.
i should jolly well hope so too!!.... i mean... those cheesey photos on the business cards, ads, sides of cars, billboards dont pay for themselves do they?
Old Oct 31st 2006, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I've really enjoyed reading through this thread
Just want to clarify a couple of things, when sandflies were mentioned, are they the same as mozzies? Just that the only time I thought we saw sandflies was in the south island. We do however, have plenty of mozzies in the summer.
Dog food in the same fridge as normal meat...not sure about other towns but in Foodtown etc where I live it is completely seperate, so maybe there were a few complaints and the supermarkets sorted it out.
After 4 years I think the only negative for me is the distance to my family. And bacon. Suprised that one hasn't already come up, sausages are nasty wherever you get them, do you actually know whats in a sausage? But last time I went to UK I realised how different the bacon is here.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jude J
I've really enjoyed reading through this thread
Just want to clarify a couple of things, when sandflies were mentioned, are they the same as mozzies? Just that the only time I thought we saw sandflies was in the south island. We do however, have plenty of mozzies in the summer.
Dog food in the same fridge as normal meat...not sure about other towns but in Foodtown etc where I live it is completely seperate, so maybe there were a few complaints and the supermarkets sorted it out.
After 4 years I think the only negative for me is the distance to my family. And bacon. Suprised that one hasn't already come up, sausages are nasty wherever you get them, do you actually know whats in a sausage? But last time I went to UK I realised how different the bacon is here.
have yet to encounter sand flies, but been nobbled by a few mozzies....

the bacon is very salty here, different to uk but ok

sausages, i prefer them from a butcher rather than the ones from the supermarket..sizzlers yeuch,

no negatives except for distance to family in uk...newcomer to emigrating so only a 7 month stretch for me so far
Old Oct 31st 2006, 1:28 am
Memetchi

cypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to allcypherpunk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jude J
Just want to clarify a couple of things, when sandflies were mentioned, are they the same as mozzies?
Sandflies are a different insect. They're called blackflies in other countries. They're a bit bigger and slower than mosquitoes but their bite can be just as nasty and you can't hear them coming.
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:44 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Bungalow living
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:48 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Not many houses have baths (thay have showers though)
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Bungalow living
Yes I agree bungalow living, but 4-5 bedrooms, large rooms, detatched with large garden. What would you pay for that in the UK. As OH says even the poor live in 4 bedroom detached bungalows.

Rob
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:43 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Yes I agree bungalow living, but 4-5 bedrooms, large rooms, detatched with large garden. What would you pay for that in the UK. As OH says even the poor live in 4 bedroom detached bungalows.

Rob
most large gardens in nz have a new house built on them now (but not a bungaloid because there isnt room)
Old Nov 1st 2006, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mazi
Not many houses have baths (thay have showers though)
Think that may have changed with newer houses/renovations - in Wellington, would probably only be smaller starter homes/units/apartments that would have showers only.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.