Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Oct 28th 2006, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by mazi
yes i know this - but my gripe was that the home owner still has to pay the 4% - it makes no difference where it goes in the end - the home owner still loses a wad of dosh
I was replying to Jackdaw's 'new career' comment.
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:09 pm
Five Three

Probably not the ideal career, no
Your new life in Italy must be fantastic that you've posted an average of 90+ posts a day on here!!

And comments (not necessarily you) like "bad haircuts," "bad shirts" aren't really relevant to someone trying to get a balanced view of a country as a whole when making the biggest decision of their lives?!

Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:28 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Afternoon (UK time). Nora why aren't you in bed? Have you been out/entertaining and having fun in NZ?? Or did the sandfly itch wake you up?
Hiya. I've an ear infection and on antibotics and thought I'd it wouldn't do any harm to 'just have one wee vodka before going to bed' and 'I'll just have a lookesee at BE for a minute' Bad call. You've all got an extra hour this morning haven't you? Lucky - I could do with an extra hour today seeing as I only woke up at 12!!!!
Old Oct 28th 2006, 11:42 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
Hiya. I've an ear infection and on antibotics and thought I'd it wouldn't do any harm to 'just have one wee vodka before going to bed' and 'I'll just have a lookesee at BE for a minute' Bad call. You've all got an extra hour this morning haven't you? Lucky - I could do with an extra hour today seeing as I only woke up at 12!!!!

Got some Nurofen if it'll help , or try a hot water bottle for the ear!!!

Hope you feel better
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:25 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with much of what you're saying - but remember I am basing what I think on my experiences there too, how I was treated, the things I saw etc. I think it's wonderful that you like it there - and I have apologised in advance for offending anyone in other areas of this site. Many people don't like pizza, I think they're mad, but I don't care if they tell me they don't like it, even when they say they hate all pizza and they clearly haven't tried all pizzas. Similarly, I wasn't too bothered when everyone I met in NZ told me how cr*p England was, until I started discovering they had never been there. Having been to NZ (for a long time) I am qualified to talk about the things that annoy me.

I have a couple of Kiwi friends who didn't mind me not liking sport too - I have mentioned one of them on the 'great' thread. No one's life is 100% perfect (well, i don't think - maybe there are people out there who think theirs is) but it so happens that my life was about 99% away from being 100% in NZ so I had to leave - I stuck it for three years as I would hate to be someone who didn't try, but for three years (barring the odd day here and there of course) I was miserable and as a result, ill.

Yes I am enjoying talking about all the bad things - you will see from my first entry the relief I expressed about finally being able to say these things when i have previously had to keep my mouth shut. If you don't want to read bad things, don't look at the neg thread. I have added some positive things too on the "everything's great' thread- I also like to think I am fair and when i see/experience something good I make no bones about saying I think it's good. But ditto bad.

I have added a nice photo for you to look at on the 'great' thread. Actually it's not one of our best of that particular view but I can't be bothered to trawl through them all to find a better one.

We'll have to agree to disagree about our feelings about NZ, but truly, I am happy you are happy. It's nice to hear.

Get a new job! What do you do?
No worries. I understand what you're saying actually. Only too well. I used to feel like this about Ireland. I couldn't wait to leave it - the first time was in 1987. I went back in '90 - still hated it - left again in '93 and back again in '99. The first couple of years I really felt we'd made an awful mistake but things changed (mainly our location) and it got a lot better. Now, I look back with some fondness but I don't want to live there again. And yet, my family adore it. Different strokes etc.

Hahaha - I work for an estate agent one of the biggest ones. I hated it when I started then it got a lot better but lately it's gone downhill again. When I start dreaming about work I know it's time to go! I have made a very good friend so I wouldn't write it off as being a total loss but once Christmas is over I'm outta there! I've got the 'Kiwi experience' now and there's loads of jobs for administrators so........ watch this space
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:26 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Got some Nurofen if it'll help , or try a hot water bottle for the ear!!!

Hope you feel better
the hangover head is sort of negating the earache
Ah no, I do feel a bit better actually - sometimes you just need a good blowout!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:30 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
the hangover head is sort of negating the earache
Ah no, I do feel a bit better actually - sometimes you just need a good blowout!

Listen if you fancy hair of the dog we're in the bar......
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:08 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Sounds like we will be losing plenty of weight in NZ , then. I will probably start dreaming of the Cote D'Or and Neuhaus delights of Belgium after ooooo 24 hours. Does anyone else think the chocolate in NZ is poor ? Do they put loads of sugar and vegetable fat in it like in England ?
Whittaker's choc is lovely. It's NZ made. It smells just like Easter Eggs!

As is negative thread, .... it might make your teeth fall out and you might get chubby.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:14 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

And what the hell do they cook the chips in? I am not being dramatic when I say I almost vomited the first time I tried them. I tried them several times after too, from different dogburger-beetroot shops and they were always the same. I did stop eating them in answer to those of you who may be about to ask me why I continued in vain to stomach the things. And what kind of devil's stomach lining is that fish terakihi?

like the snapper though - I'll get me to the positive things thread right away!

\BEEF FAT! Ugh it's foul. It's lard and it's awful. It also stinks. Why would you cook a fish in beef fat? or chips for that matter. Can't stomach it and the smell makes you reach...

Last edited by mumomonty; Oct 29th 2006 at 3:15 am. Reason: sounded insane (nothing new)
Old Oct 29th 2006, 3:37 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Onion dip
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sky
Onion dip
done that one already sky (they called it kiwi dip in the circles i mixed in)...... but your are dead right - it is just wrong isnt it?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:50 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soulflour
The agents don't get to keep the 4% for earnings, of that they'd get maybe 2% (less tax) if they've both listed AND sold the property, or 1% if they've listed or only sold. The commissions are high because REAgents work purely on comission, they're not salaried like in the UK. The office I work in has looked into this, but there just isn't the stock levels/buyer levels that there are in the UK (surprising, but then we have to remember that NZ ISN'T THE UK) ha ha ha

So all real estate agents are self-employed working under the banner of a branded business.

I'm lucky enough to be sat in a real estate agency right now, on a sunday, lucky lucky lucky ( )
I thought it would workout something like that. Or that the agent owners are canning it

Back here a lot are now doing fixed fee sale or not
Old Oct 29th 2006, 6:53 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
done that one already sky (they called it kiwi dip in the circles i mixed in)...... but your are dead right - it is just wrong isnt it?
Mmm.. I wanna try this
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:11 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
Mmm.. I wanna try this
Don't do it :scared:
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by sky
Don't do it :scared:
Thats it. Now I have to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.