Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Nov 19th 2006, 7:18 pm
  #376  
Member of Mumo-land
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: DownUnder
Posts: 771
mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Yes I heard about that when down in Melly, very odd.

It did strike me strange as my car insurance does cover the car against damage from hailstones, which, apparently, are common phenomena in Queensland.

Earlier in the week there were some hailstones in the GC and everyone rapidly took their cars to a safe refuge...........must have been an exciting drive on the motorway!
Was walking on the beach in Oz one day and heard this roar coming across from the ocean; looked behind us and saw a wall of hailstones coming. I ran for cover. Silly sod of a hubby says, 'Wow I wanna see what they feel like'. can you guess the next bit?
mumomonty is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 8:48 pm
  #377  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,094
Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Get back to whinging!
Jack The Lad is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 9:41 pm
  #378  
sky
Banned
 
sky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,467
sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Was walking on the beach in Oz one day and heard this roar coming across from the ocean; looked behind us and saw a wall of hailstones coming. I ran for cover. Silly sod of a hubby says, 'Wow I wanna see what they feel like'. can you guess the next bit?
I once stood at the door in the summer in the uk with my young son catching huge hail stones during a freak storm and there was this huge explosion and we both were thrown backwards and the tree across the road had been hit by lightning :scared: Our central heating boiler broke, our tv went green and every house alarm and car alarm went off in the area ... it was very scary!!!! so I will never ever go out willingly in a hail storm or stop to stare at the size of the hail ever again!!!
sky is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 10:03 pm
  #379  
By name and by nature
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,852
Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by sky
I once stood at the door in the summer in the uk with my young son catching huge hail stones during a freak storm and there was this huge explosion and we both were thrown backwards and the tree across the road had been hit by lightning :scared: Our central heating boiler broke, our tv went green and every house alarm and car alarm went off in the area ... it was very scary!!!! so I will never ever go out willingly in a hail storm or stop to stare at the size of the hail ever again!!!
Never answer the phone if it 'rings' during a lightning storm. it's not quite a proper ring - more a tinkle - but I've known of people who've done it and been thrown across the room :scared: My sister's fax blew up once too
Batty is offline  
Old Dec 1st 2006, 11:31 pm
  #380  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a large village called Auckland
Posts: 5,249
Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

My whinges relate entirely to food and the oddities that occur:

The 'gourmet' delights people dare to bring to your house and they have the bloomin cheek to oooh and arrr and say how lovely they are, sometimes I feel I have been transported to war time cuisine:

Cheerios - Bright Red and Purple 'Sausages' dipped in Tomato Sauce
Potato salad, made with mashed up boiled egg
Leftovers from last weeks dinner
Onion Dip - made from tinned condensed milk and onion soup mix
Sausage rolls, that taste of lamb
Spring rolls that taste of lamb
Beef sausages that taste of lamb
Pork sausages that taste of lamb

For a country so famed for it's BBQ lifestyle, how is it that a BBQ can consist entirely of flame grilled pre-cooked sausages, wrapped in a slice of white bread?

BYO - means Bring Your Own (two beers )

All the embarrasing kerfuffle and shuffling when it comes to divvying up the bill so that everyone gets to pay for their own bit.

People invite or take you out for coffee and you have to pay for your own.

Buying a sandwich made to order is almost impossible, you get to choose from a selection of pre-filled day old rolls, wrapped in clingfilm and no matter what the filling they always contain grated carrot, a slice of cucumber and a slice of boiled egg. FFS all I want is a cheese sandwich.

Bacon and fried egg sandwiches (cold)
Bo-Jangles is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:36 am
  #381  
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0
 
uk+kiwi's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,606
uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Onion Dip - made from tinned condensed milk and onion soup mix
Oh I love this, except have only had it made with sour cream mixed with the onion soup mix, not condensed milk which sounds awful. Have also served it as a dip in the UK a couple of times and my friends seem to like it too. There are of course always other options if people really didn't like it!
uk+kiwi is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 9:29 am
  #382  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,010
kt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond reputekt0157 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
All the embarrasing kerfuffle and shuffling when it comes to divvying up the bill so that everyone gets to pay for their own bit.

People invite or take you out for coffee and you have to pay for your own.

Buying a sandwich made to order is almost impossible, you get to choose from a selection of pre-filled day old rolls, wrapped in clingfilm and no matter what the filling they always contain grated carrot, a slice of cucumber and a slice of boiled egg. FFS all I want is a cheese sandwich.

Bacon and fried egg sandwiches (cold)
Sounds just like the Isle of Wight..

K.
kt0157 is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:29 am
  #383  
sky
Banned
 
sky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,467
sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Oh I love this, except have only had it made with sour cream mixed with the onion soup mix, not condensed milk which sounds awful. Have also served it as a dip in the UK a couple of times and my friends seem to like it too. There are of course always other options if people really didn't like it!
Now that sounds nice but the cook on a kiwi cookery programme said use reduced cream and honestly when I made it up and tasted it, it made me gag :scared:
sky is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 2:07 pm
  #384  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: East Ilsley, Berkshire.
Posts: 64
Amanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant future
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
My whinges relate entirely to food and the oddities that occur:

The 'gourmet' delights people dare to bring to your house and they have the bloomin cheek to oooh and arrr and say how lovely they are, sometimes I feel I have been transported to war time cuisine:

Cheerios - Bright Red and Purple 'Sausages' dipped in Tomato Sauce
Potato salad, made with mashed up boiled egg
Leftovers from last weeks dinner
Onion Dip - made from tinned condensed milk and onion soup mix
Sausage rolls, that taste of lamb
Spring rolls that taste of lamb
Beef sausages that taste of lamb
Pork sausages that taste of lamb

For a country so famed for it's BBQ lifestyle, how is it that a BBQ can consist entirely of flame grilled pre-cooked sausages, wrapped in a slice of white bread?

BYO - means Bring Your Own (two beers )

All the embarrasing kerfuffle and shuffling when it comes to divvying up the bill so that everyone gets to pay for their own bit.

People invite or take you out for coffee and you have to pay for your own.

Buying a sandwich made to order is almost impossible, you get to choose from a selection of pre-filled day old rolls, wrapped in clingfilm and no matter what the filling they always contain grated carrot, a slice of cucumber and a slice of boiled egg. FFS all I want is a cheese sandwich.

Bacon and fried egg sandwiches (cold)

Your observations are so accurate and true - it just makes you laugh.

The word "gourmet" is used too much in NZ. When they say it, I think they mean that it is basically any food that is edible. Who uses that word anywhere else? A gourmet kitchen - that's another silly thing estate agents say.

I think when they divide the bill it is only us watching that are embarrassed (or any Brits who happen to be part of that group) the Kiwis are not at all embarrassed about it. My husband gets annoyed when they do it when he is waiting to pick up a takeaway and it is just sitting there, getting cold, whilst they first try and divide the bill into who had the starter, who had the glass of wine, and then they start counting out the coins. meanwhile the poor Thai/Indian/whatever waiter is waiting for them and rolls his eyes whilst they sort the cents out between them.

Morning tea!!! Ahhh!!!
Amanda is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 8:36 pm
  #385  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: In a large village called Auckland
Posts: 5,249
Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Amanda

Morning tea!!! Ahhh!!!
Ha ha ha! The elaborate office breakfast rituals at 8am, morning tea at 10am, followed by lunch at 11 am do my head in. Do they not eat at home? OOh here we go, another opportunity to fit a meal in the day and not do any work. My office fridge is a toxic no go area as far as I am concerned, too many buckets of slop and mixed up shite that looks like it belongs in a student house of the 'Young Ones' ilk. Some days there's even full on plated up roast dinners in there.

... not to mention the opportunity to fill your boots when there is free food laid on, goodness me you would think they had queued for days with the starving kids in Africa, like vultures around a carcass. I'm clearly too polite and English.
Bo-Jangles is offline  
Old Dec 2nd 2006, 11:01 pm
  #386  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,094
Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Ha ha ha! The elaborate office breakfast rituals at 8am, morning tea at 10am, followed by lunch at 11 am do my head in. Do they not eat at home? OOh here we go, another opportunity to fit a meal in the day and not do any work. My office fridge is a toxic no go area as far as I am concerned, too many buckets of slop and mixed up shite that looks like it belongs in a student house of the 'Young Ones' ilk. Some days there's even full on plated up roast dinners in there.

... not to mention the opportunity to fill your boots when there is free food laid on, goodness me you would think they had queued for days with the starving kids in Africa, like vultures around a carcass. I'm clearly too polite and English.
Sounds like Hobbit-dom
Jack The Lad is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 12:30 am
  #387  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Those stupid effing bi-fold doors that people always leave open in their kitchen so you can see all the tins of Wattie's crap they own.
mazi is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 1:16 am
  #388  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,094
Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by mazi
Those stupid effing bi-fold doors that people always leave open in their kitchen so you can see all the tins of Wattie's crap they own.
Welcome back. I have missed your whinging
Jack The Lad is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 6:15 am
  #389  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,585
mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad
Welcome back. I have missed your whinging
mazi is offline  
Old Dec 3rd 2006, 6:19 am
  #390  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,094
Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by mazi
Have you seen what I am being blamed FOR
Jack The Lad is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.