Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

hubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nicehubbard is just really nice
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

This thread was brilliant and had me in stitches Mazi and secret Squirrel were so spot on with their observations, some tongue in check, but all (in my eyes) with some truth. We lasted 3 years in NZ and then also left.

Good on you for loving it Batty but I'm in the 'it kinda sucked' camp.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:39 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hubbard
This thread was brilliant and had me in stitches Mazi and secret Squirrel were so spot on with their observations, some tongue in check, but all (in my eyes) with some truth. We lasted 3 years in NZ and then also left.

Good on you for loving it Batty but I'm in the 'it kinda sucked' camp.
You wanna be in our gang?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
I had to get on a motorbike to get my post the end of the drive was that far away!

Buzzy
WHATTTTT???????!!!!!!!!!!!
Nightmare
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:36 pm
Account Closed

More:

The obsession with cheap stuff - now I like a good bargain, when Prada has a sale, I'm there! (titter, titter, that was a little joke) - buy why do Kiwis think that if they buy a set of saucepans for $10 down the local red shed they are saving money? You daft buggers, the things will break in two months (or less if they came from the bargain bin as well as the red shed) and you'll have to get another set by which time you've spent about $120 in two years when you could have bought a decent set that would last maybe 10 years! This is but one measly example - cheap seems to be the order of the day for most things there. see next item.

Polyester

The fake English pubs - Do they really believe we spend our time in places like that?! No wonder the untravelled Kiwi has a warped opinion of Blighty. By the way, I do not spend my time in other countries seeking pubs which remind me of home, but i do like to enter the odd one to see what their idea of English is.

Baches - the word, the buildings. They smell of feet (sorry, too general - the ones I went in smelled of feet).

Hunting wild boars, and complaining when their manky dog gets injured or lost

Walking around supermarkets BAREFOOT

Muffins (as in those seen on 'ladies' with a little too much weight around the middle) - I don't care what size you are, I'm way off perfect myself most of the year, but wear the correct sized clothes! ta-da. They make you look slimmer! Admittedly you may have to buy a size 16 if you are a 14 when shopping at the red shed because cheap shops skimp on the polyester, sorry, material.

Dairies - has anyone ever bought any milk in them?

Supermarkets not selling spirits. Yet curiously they sell beer and wine...which are not at all alcoholic

Trundlers - they're trollies!
Old Nov 1st 2006, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Kerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really nice

Originally Posted by sky
They already have home delivery from supermarkets but bet you already knew that didn't you lol.
Originally Posted by Batty
I always get my shopping delivered - it's cool and no having to listen to my husband moan about being in a SHOP either

My apologies, as I said it has been 14 years

Last edited by Kerry & Dirk; Nov 1st 2006 at 10:46 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mazi
Walking around supermarkets BAREFOOT
spot on!!! its just wrong isnt it.... worse still walking around supermarkets barefoot + warehouse surfy shorts IN THE WINTER (when it is NOT - contrary to popular myth - warm).
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

WHATTTTT???????!!!!!!!!!!!
Nightmare
our postbox was stolen
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:00 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
our postbox was stolen
Our one was run over. She also ran over our rubbish on 3 occasions and now - get this - I'm fuming btw - she's asked me to move my fruit stall! They really cannot drive here especially the rural delivery drivers!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:02 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I love home cooking though. Mmmmm coconut cake. All stoggy and takes forever to eat cos its 9 inches high

Bugger a positive post. Must delete...
Yeah but when you're here you'll feel like you are drowning in a sea of W.I.
It all sounds nice going back in time to a less stressful era when you are sat in blighty and 3 yr olds have IPods and smoke joints but we are programmed in the UK to expect certain standards of livingand when you get it boy it is lower!
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:05 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Yeah but when you're here you'll feel like you are drowning in a sea of W.I.
It all sounds nice going back in time to a less stressful era when you are sat in blighty and 3 yr olds have IPods and smoke joints but we are programmed in the UK to expect certain standards of livingand when you get it boy it is lower!
I've lived in Cornwall before, so I have training
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:05 am
Member of Mumo-land

Well it certainly changed in my house - out came the upstairs (note: STAIRS) shower within two days of moving in and in went a lovely big bath. I knew people from all sorts of socioeconomic backgrounds (including some of the richer ones) and none of them had baths - how come it's different in Wellington? In fact, I knew of some who took their baths out and replaced with a shower! WEIRD.
Totally get what you mean. Our bathroom's coming out this summer and we're going to have a bath as well as a shower! I mean in winter you come in frmo the cold to a cold house.How are you s'posed to get warm apart from goign staight to bed?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:08 am
Member of Mumo-land

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I've lived in Cornwall before, so I have training
You think you do. Honest we all think that.
Okay it's November now so what you n eed to do is turn off your heating and rely on an open fire to heat the whole house. If you have double glazing I want you to leave the fanlights open day and night to accentuate the cold! Or, better still, go out and live in your shed and it will give you a real taste of 'kiwiana' - or you coudl pretend it's your Bach. If you do pretend it's your Bach, get a good supply of mouse poo and chuck that about too and get that mousey smell (I thik this is what Mazi thought was the feet smell).

Have you got enough cash to buy a nice new house with underfloor heating or install central heating?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:12 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Dont forget to hose down the inside walls every morning to simulate the condensation!

Buzzy
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:19 am
Member of Mumo-land

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Dont forget to hose down the inside walls every morning to simulate the condensation!

Buzzy
Just the windows? Let's be generous. i hate those 'crying windows'. You don't know whether to leave it until summer finally comes for a week or two or madly clean the windows every morning so you don't ge the mould which gives my OH asthma. Been on steroids since got here! Argggggggggggh why am I still here?
Old Nov 2nd 2006, 7:33 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Been on steroids since got here! Argggggggggggh why am I still here?
I must admit after reading your posts for the last year or so, I have to wonder the same thing!
Mind you, you have chosen to live in Hamiltron...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.