Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The negative New Zealand thread

The negative New Zealand thread

Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:25 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The negative New Zealand thread

Originally Posted by Batty
Hiya. I've an ear infection and on antibotics and thought I'd it wouldn't do any harm to 'just have one wee vodka before going to bed' and 'I'll just have a lookesee at BE for a minute' Bad call. You've all got an extra hour this morning haven't you? Lucky - I could do with an extra hour today seeing as I only woke up at 12!!!!
Aww sorry to hear that. Hope you feel better soon. Yes an extra hour today. Might start to feel a little long by the end of the day since youngest managed to wake up at the early end of normal according to the OLD time, despite keeping her up a bit later thinking it would be alright. Speaking of whom, have to go and finish the pumpkin outfit for Halloween now that I have been putting off and off and off. She's so full on active raring to go in the way that a 5 year old is in the mornings, we're still on the first cup of coffee. Sadly can't think of any more excuses. Catch you later.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 7:27 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

You can't buy a decent wooly pully/ sweater/jersey for love nor money. I have been looking since we got here as I misjudged the weather and the washing machine (NZ one with is agitator in the middle) ruined my one and only sweater.
I have read this quite some time ago (months) but didn't think about it when I packed. By the time my stuff getes here hopefully I won't need them for a while
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:03 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karonious
You can't buy a decent wooly pully/ sweater/jersey for love nor money. I have been looking since we got here as I misjudged the weather and the washing machine (NZ one with is agitator in the middle) ruined my one and only sweater.
I have read this quite some time ago (months) but didn't think about it when I packed. By the time my stuff getes here hopefully I won't need them for a while
Ah yes, those funny top loading washing machines that don't wash
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:04 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by soulflour
I was replying to Jackdaw's 'new career' comment.
Ah! not clear - think he's joking anyway
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Batty
No worries. I understand what you're saying actually. Only too well. I used to feel like this about Ireland. I couldn't wait to leave it - the first time was in 1987. I went back in '90 - still hated it - left again in '93 and back again in '99. The first couple of years I really felt we'd made an awful mistake but things changed (mainly our location) and it got a lot better. Now, I look back with some fondness but I don't want to live there again. And yet, my family adore it. Different strokes etc.

Hahaha - I work for an estate agent one of the biggest ones. I hated it when I started then it got a lot better but lately it's gone downhill again. When I start dreaming about work I know it's time to go! I have made a very good friend so I wouldn't write it off as being a total loss but once Christmas is over I'm outta there! I've got the 'Kiwi experience' now and there's loads of jobs for administrators so........ watch this space
Do you work for the blue boys? You haven't got your photo on a business card, have you?! Or on your car???????? I hope you find something more to your taste after Christmas.

Funny, I really like ireland. Saying that I'm not sure I could live there - makes me think of NZ a bit with all that green and no people! But you do get some great characters about the place - we spent a marvellous evening with an old guy in a pub there a few years ago. We laughed all night long and got very drunken. No idea what he was talking about, couldn't understand a word.

Hope your ear and head are better.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:10 am
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Ah! not clear - think he's joking anyway
I never joke
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

The 4% commission they charge you to sell your house - 4%!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that's after the marketing fees which is a separate charge, and after the auction fees (which they will sell their granny to make you do - because you don't get the money back if no one comes to the auction)
Not 4% in Wellington!!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Originally Posted by soulflour
The agents don't get to keep the 4% for earnings, of that they'd get maybe 2% (less tax) if they've both listed AND sold the property, or 1% if they've listed or only sold. The commissions are high because REAgents work purely on comission, they're not salaried like in the UK. The office I work in has looked into this, but there just isn't the stock levels/buyer levels that there are in the UK (surprising, but then we have to remember that NZ ISN'T THE UK) ha ha ha

So all real estate agents are self-employed working under the banner of a branded business.

I'm lucky enough to be sat in a real estate agency right now, on a sunday, lucky lucky lucky ( )
Unless they're Remax - then they pay a desk fee per month but get to keep up to 90% 'ish of the fee.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Five Three
Your new life in Italy must be fantastic that you've posted an average of 90+ posts a day on here!!

And comments (not necessarily you) like "bad haircuts," "bad shirts" aren't really relevant to someone trying to get a balanced view of a country as a whole when making the biggest decision of their lives?!
My life in Italy is great - the reason I am on this bloomin forum so much the last couple of days is because I am a proofreader and have a lot of work this weekend so I'm sat at the computer for about 16 hours a day - and as I have pointed out it's all that Jack daws' fault for enabling me to vent about NZ. I couldn't remember how I ended up on here as I didn't search for it but it came to me in a flash last night when i realised i hadn't done what I needed to do for the research i'm doing into the number of ex pats in the north of Italy - I'd googled british expats to try to get some stats and lo and behold I ended up here. I will be billing Jack daws for the time lost on here rather than doing my proofreading and research, so Jack, if you're reading...

And no, those comments weren't necessarily me, though i have to say I was offended by the bad haircuts and bad shirts and together with all the other things they did play a small part in my decision to leave NZ (yeah ok, only a small part, but lots of little things add up to a great big fat thing).

Also, do people REALLY make their decision to emigrate based on these forums? Maybe they do, this is a genuine Q, I'm not trying to be contentious. It's just that I've always found most people make a decision then ask others for their advice about it, knowing full well they have made their decision already but just wanting some confirmation that others think like them. Look at jack daws - he's asking for the good and bad points about NZ but really he made his decision 4 years ago and doesn't look like he's going to change it, but he has to convince his wife so he needs to present a balanced view to her. He also seems like a guy who just likes a good laugh so i suspect his threads are also for his amusement (nothing wrong with that!).

I could be very wrong , so apologies to you, and to Jack if I am. these are just the things i think about when I should be working.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel
... the jobsworth staff at "super"markets that ask people in their mid 30s for ID if they want to buy some booze....
Oh joy... to be asked for ID when buying booze
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
I never joke
Oh crikey - I thought you were a bit of a larf meself. So these threads aren't for amusement purposes as well as for a balanced view?? bugger Sorry
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
Not 4% in Wellington!!
I believe they have started to come down with their commissions now as so many people complained and they also got scared of that co. that charges the flat rate.

I beat our agency into submission - they didn't end up charging us 4% either, but every agency in the town was officially charging 4%. They're all in cahoots with each other, the buggers
Old Oct 29th 2006, 8:40 am
Account Closed

aplogies, Batty, for the 'in cahoots' comment
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Five Three

And comments (not necessarily you) like "bad haircuts," "bad shirts" aren't really relevant to someone trying to get a balanced view of a country as a whole when making the biggest decision of their lives?!
depends on how you feel about mullets .... :scared:
Old Oct 29th 2006, 12:40 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Also, do people REALLY make their decision to emigrate based on these forums? Maybe they do, this is a genuine Q, I'm not trying to be contentious. It's just that I've always found most people make a decision then ask others for their advice about it, knowing full well they have made their decision already but just wanting some confirmation that others think like them. Look at jack daws - he's asking for the good and bad points about NZ but really he made his decision 4 years ago and doesn't look like he's going to change it, but he has to convince his wife so he needs to present a balanced view to her. He also seems like a guy who just likes a good laugh so i suspect his threads are also for his amusement (nothing wrong with that!).

I could be very wrong , so apologies to you, and to Jack if I am. these are just the things i think about when I should be working.
No need to apologize to me

About the decision making. New Zealand appears to be the right place for us, from what I have read about and heard from others that have been (we havent yet). However I am a realist and know that the only way to find out if a place is for us is to visit several times ect. But finances wont allow us to visit that many times. So the only other way of getting as much info and feel of a place is to ask you lot that have already done it

In the process of asking all these questions and getting all of these answers is to try and enjoy it. I do try to be serious when needed and have a laugh and joke when not. The thing about the forum is that its hard to tell if/when someone is being serious or joking. I try to use smilies to indicate which I am trying to be. It doesnt always out though.

PS I hardly ever get offended by post but may sometimes may offend by my posts. This is not intentional.

Anyway up your

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.