British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

dontheturner Jun 24th 2011 5:46 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9451233)
For warm clothing you need to go to one of those shops that sell hiking kind of gear, they sell all kinds of warm jackets, fleeces and hiking boots, I can't remember where I bought my jacket from in The Lake District but at times it got too hot to wear. :eek:

Like anything it's just a matter of knowing where to look. ;)

Barbara, Blacks are a very good company, with lots of heavier warmer clothing - Study Yellow pages, for the nearest. Don

islandwoman120 Jun 24th 2011 11:38 am

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956 (Post 9453096)
I have lived in Tampa, Fl for the last 23 years. I will be living in Durham.

Well stone the crows (not really) - I was in Sarasota two winters ago - my 92 yr old mother lives there, and has for years. You WILL notice the first winter here, so pack a few long sleeved items, then you can stock up once you are here.

Victor Meldrew Jun 24th 2011 11:43 am

Originally Posted by dontheturner (Post 9453913)
Barbara, Blacks are a very good company, with lots of heavier warmer clothing - Study Yellow pages, for the nearest. Don

In addition, don't just focus on getting outerwear/topwear. More important/useful are 'base layers'.

These are thermal vests/t-shirts/long johns for wearing under your clothes. Either get proper hiking ones or good quality such as from M&S.

They can seem quite expensive (ie about £12-15 for a t-shirt) but can be a greater benefit than a top coat.

Maybe wait for the summer sales and buy then.

Don't be fooled into thinking cheaper versions from the market or cheap clothing shops like Primark will be as good, as they aren't.

I have gradually stocked up on these over the last 3 or 4 trips back to UK and keep them at home for when I come back to UK for holidays.

cheers Jun 24th 2011 1:59 pm

I'm relaying this

I don't doubt that my mother would be alive today if she had been in this country an being cared for by the NHS. It sounds a bit emotive for me to say that, but I think she had just about given up on trying to get the care she needed (proper meds, oxygen machine, all the other things that she wasn't entitled to under whatever stop gap measures were in place for her).

Even the people with good insurance in the States are at risk of having something refused despite being appropriate for treatment. I wouldn't live back there if you paid me, at least not until the healthcare system is properly fixed (and I don't mean requiring people to buy broken coverage).

islandwoman120 Jun 24th 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9454566)
I'm relaying this

I don't doubt that my mother would be alive today if she had been in this country an being cared for by the NHS. It sounds a bit emotive for me to say that, but I think she had just about given up on trying to get the care she needed (proper meds, oxygen machine, all the other things that she wasn't entitled to under whatever stop gap measures were in place for her).

Even the people with good insurance in the States are at risk of having something refused despite being appropriate for treatment. I wouldn't live back there if you paid me, at least not until the healthcare system is properly fixed (and I don't mean requiring people to buy broken coverage).

OK buddy - you have me really confused here. You are talking about two countries and two Heathcare systems. So: where did your mother live: US or UK? and where are you referring to in your text in the red colour?

cheers Jun 24th 2011 4:16 pm

Got this. Older couple 53/72 from Scotland spend 5 weeks in Texas jail coss their visa wasn't stamped correctly.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/06/2...usaolp00000008

Mummy in the foothills Jun 24th 2011 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9454791)
Got this. Older couple 53/72 from Scotland spend 5 weeks in Texas jail coss their visa wasn't stamped correctly.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/06/2...usaolp00000008

Oh I read that one. It was pretty bad, but they tried to skirt around the rules, they thought they had pulled a fast one. Their visa was stamped correctly on arrival in the US from the UK. They Arrived on the VWP (giving them 90 days in US) and went to Canada and back assuming that coming back from Canada to the US border checkpoint would automatically give them another 90 days VWP. (it doesn't) so they continued their extended vacation only to find out at a check point in Texas they had overstayed.
No different than if they were from South America and found to be out of compliance really, they get detained and deported.

The sad one was all the people in LA at the port on a cruise being made to stand for hours waiting to be processed. There was no need for that one. Many were elderly and unable to stand there so long waiting.

sallysimmons Jun 24th 2011 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9454819)
No different than if they were from South America and found to be out of compliance really, they get detained and deported.

Exactly, are we supposed to treat them differently because they're Scottish and not Mexican? Why? Visa rules are visa rules - even for Scottish people :lol:

Gabgoeshome Jun 24th 2011 5:06 pm

Was it found that they did this, to try and get away with something?

I think it was terrible, what they had to go through;if it was an innocent mistake?

Actually, even if it *was* intentional,why not just send them home?:)

Mummy in the foothills Jun 24th 2011 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9454896)
Was it found that they did this, to try and get away with something?

I think it was terrible, what they had to go through;if it was an innocent mistake?

Actually, even if it *was* intentional,why not just send them home?:)

The did just send them home and also they did know what they were doing, they tried to get a new 90 days by going to Canada for a couple of days and crossing the border. Many people assume this is allowed, but it isn't and so they should have checked their passports after re entering to see what the date to leave by was.
Lots of people ask if they can do this on the USA section here.
They happened to be in Texas they are used to shipping all the detained illegals south of the border, so they had to wait and then be transported and sent where there is a direct flight back to UK. Red tape and paper work takes time everywhere.

jasper123 Jun 24th 2011 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9453598)
I thought of you today. I got back into the car after being in the doctors for about 2 hours and I looked at the temp and it was 104. Your kind of weather, not.:D

Cheers I know you told me a while ago that your Son lives in Vegas but cant remember where (you) live? --- your profile just says USA --- yes I feel very happy that I no longer ever again have to endure and suffer through temps in there hundreds every day for months and months, :eek: ---
Its my Nephews wifes 40th Birthday on Sunday and her hubby has rented this huge open grounds in Netley just outside Southampton, this big field is supplied with a couple of HUGE BBQ grills, and they have invited all there family and friends up there for a nice open air party, My Nephew pays £150 rent for the grounds from 12 noon till 8pm, he has bought all the food for the BBQ, just hamburgers and hot dogs, and buns & other stuff, a friend of his is supplying a live band for free, theres around 100 people invited (including little ole me and Mum :)) it should be fun, my nephew and his wife did the same thing last year they said, me and mum are taking the train up to Netley from Portsmouth just a 35 minute trip and costs me and mum £4.80 each for a round trip ticket, ---- and guess what the weather forecast said that Sunday its gonna be dry and very warm 32c -- around 85f
See ya later cheers,
Rodney :) ----- Oh everyone brings there own booze and beer:) :thumbsup::beer::drinkwine::beer::cool:

jasper123 Jun 24th 2011 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9454392)
Well stone the crows (not really) - I was in Sarasota two winters ago - my 92 yr old mother lives there, and has for years. You WILL notice the first winter here, so pack a few long sleeved items, then you can stock up once you are here.

Rosie both our Mums are 92 :)

Gabgoeshome Jun 24th 2011 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9455148)
The did just send them home and also they did know what they were doing, they tried to get a new 90 days by going to Canada for a couple of days and crossing the border. Many people assume this is allowed, but it isn't and so they should have checked their passports after re entering to see what the date to leave by was.
Lots of people ask if they can do this on the USA section here.
They happened to be in Texas they are used to shipping all the detained illegals south of the border, so they had to wait and then be transported and sent where there is a direct flight back to UK. Red tape and paper work takes time everywhere.

Thanks:) I see...I was wondering ...They were a bit :sneaky:then!

cheers Jun 24th 2011 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9455179)
Rosie both our Mums are 92 :)

&&& my MIL is 92

cheers Jun 24th 2011 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9455174)
Cheers I know you told me a while ago that your Son lives in Vegas but cant remember where (you) live? --- your profile just says USA -
See ya later cheers,
Rodney :)

Do you remember Mesquite, NV? Well we are 30 minutes north of there. We are are about 5 degrees cooler than LV and the good thing is it cools off at night which is different than LV.
I lived in Henderson for about 5 years by the Henderson airport or up in the hills above it.
So you get on Interstate 15 and drive for about 2 hours and eventually pass through Arizona and then into Utah and we are on the state line. It is much better than LV but not as good as some parts of the UK.

Climate

Because of the city's low elevation and southerly location, St. George is the hottest part of the state and has a mid-latitude arid climate (Koppen BWk), with maximum daily July temperatures averaging about 102 °F (39 °C). The hottest temperature ever recorded in Utah, 118 °F (48 °C), was recorded as being in a place south of St. George, near the Arizona border, on July 4, 2007.[citation needed] T
St. George lies in a desert and averages 8.25 inches (210 mm) of precipitation annually.as April 11 (in 1927).[citation needed] The record single day snowfall is 10.0 in (25.4 cm), set on January 5, 1974.