British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Jun 30th 2011 3:39 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 9466076)
Now I want to know what?
I bought gas today for $3.49 a gallon, that has been a long time coming. I was paying well over $4 a gallon for a while

The eye drops.
That was a very good price for gas in California because I paid $3.619 yesterday and today they are at 3.599

islandwoman120 Jun 30th 2011 10:26 am

Tesco discussion carried over from the regular Over 50s site:

If everyone took such a defeatist attitude, nothing would get done. Citizens groups form and make waves, sometimes huge waves. I decided to step aside from the Frome group as I have enough on my plate now, and there are people in the group who are well informed and have connections, whereas I am neither of those. I could be more informed, but I choose not to take on all that crosses my path.

That said, in 2004 - 2006, I was part of a citizens group in southern Wisconsin who took on a huge Ethanol facility which was inserted into cornfields at the whim of Milton City hall to make tax monies, and which was all done behind closed doors. The facility was built, causes endless pollution problems, has huge EPA fines many months, citizens downwind are ill - BUT because of the citizen action, two laws in WI were changed: Open Meetings, and Open Minutes. We were publicly praised by the Freedom of Information Council. And - there were only 5 of us in the end, from an initial meeting of 50 citizens.

Remember Margaret Mead:
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.Margaret Mead
US anthropologist & popularizer of anthropology (1901 - 1978)Now chin up, Cheers.:)

sallysimmons Jun 30th 2011 10:54 am

It's interesting who is for and who is opposed to these things - there is a big debate in one of the northern towns I've been looking at (Hebden Bridge) over whether a new supermarket is a good or bad thing. They currently don't have a big supermarket at all. The nearest one is miles away.

Many of the long-time locals - the people who were born in the town to parents who were also born there - want the big supermarket. They're not rich, so they can't afford the prices in the local shops, and there's high unemployment among their kids, most of whom don't have degrees, so they want the extra jobs.

But Hebden Bridge is a magnet for artists, yuppies from Leeds, weekend home owners, and retirees, all looking for the cute cobbled streets and the unspoilt scenery. They have pushed up the price of housing, which is a source of resentment, and they have now organized themselves to fight the supermarket and other development projects. They say they don't want to lose the independent spirit of the town.

The locals roll their eyes at the 'off-cumdens' lack of concern for their community. They say joining the community means mixing with the real locals, not the other 'off-cumdens,' and the resentment grows. And of course, the locals aren't as well-educated or politically savvy, so their voices tend to get drowned out.

I see both sides, and reading the debate on the local website has made me much more conscious of fitting in properly wherever I move to next.

islandwoman120 Jul 2nd 2011 5:31 pm

New photos on Flickr - they are of the garden where I live, and show my tender care since March: http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...626974697863/:)

sallysimmons Jul 2nd 2011 7:41 pm

It's all beautiful but I especially like the East Border. Great work!

islandwoman120 Jul 2nd 2011 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9471141)
It's all beautiful but I especially like the East Border. Great work!

Thanks! I have been putting in many hours recently, and am exhausted from it all. However, the worst is over and I can look forward to getting back to normal life in two weeks time! Open Garden week July 7th - 17th. Eeeek. Visitors...:)

quoll Jul 2nd 2011 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9471005)
New photos on Flickr - they are of the garden where I live, and show my tender care since March: http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...626974697863/:)

Wow, fabulous! You definitely do have green fingers!

Beedubya Jul 3rd 2011 7:38 am

Rosie what a fantastic job you have done, absolutely beautiful, hope the Open Day goes well and everybody gets to delight in your hard work, well done. :thumbsup:

ANGIE1956 Jul 3rd 2011 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9471149)
Thanks! I have been putting in many hours recently, and am exhausted from it all. However, the worst is over and I can look forward to getting back to normal life in two weeks time! Open Garden week July 7th - 17th. Eeeek. Visitors...:)

Your yard looks enormous.

Beedubya Jul 3rd 2011 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by ANGIE1956 (Post 9472461)
Your yard looks enormous.

It is a communal garden not all of it Rosie's own. :D

islandwoman120 Jul 3rd 2011 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9472921)
It is a communal garden not all of it Rosie's own. :D

Too right - there are 17 tenants here, but most of them are frail and don't use the garden, more's the pity. They do watch me from the windows, so I am never alone :) The main garden is about 1.5 acres, and there is a woodlot behind the East wall that is about .75 acres, then there is the front area, which is about .5 acres, but mostly paved, so only borders. To get around the entire place each week takes me 6 days, with spending an hour in the morning, and about 2 hours each evening. On the seventh day - I rest :) and only water the greenhouse plants. The Open Week is actually 10 days during the annual Frome Festival, and that begins next Saturday. There will be lawn sculptures here for the duration, and those start arriving on Thursday, so I am on call from then until July 17th. Only because I asked that the sculptures not be put in the flower borders like in past years, so I got drafted into being on duty when they arrive - so much for my big mouth. When it is all over, I shall take a coach trip all on my own - not sure where, but I am aiming for a beach!!

islandwoman120 Jul 5th 2011 1:51 pm

Some photos I recently took whilst on a walk around Frome:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7627122145144/

Fish n Chips 56 Jul 5th 2011 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9466685)
Tesco discussion carried over from the regular Over 50s site:

If everyone took such a defeatist attitude, nothing would get done. Citizens groups form and make waves, sometimes huge waves. I decided to step aside from the Frome group as I have enough on my plate now, and there are people in the group who are well informed and have connections, whereas I am neither of those. I could be more informed, but I choose not to take on all that crosses my path.

That said, in 2004 - 2006, I was part of a citizens group in southern Wisconsin who took on a huge Ethanol facility which was inserted into cornfields at the whim of Milton City hall to make tax monies, and which was all done behind closed doors. The facility was built, causes endless pollution problems, has huge EPA fines many months, citizens downwind are ill - BUT because of the citizen action, two laws in WI were changed: Open Meetings, and Open Minutes. We were publicly praised by the Freedom of Information Council. And - there were only 5 of us in the end, from an initial meeting of 50 citizens.

Remember Margaret Mead:
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.Margaret Mead
US anthropologist & popularizer of anthropology (1901 - 1978)Now chin up, Cheers.:)

I think the People of Wisconsin could use someone like you right now... they are getting beaten to a pulp by the Governer and others of a like mind... Very Sad...

Good for you being on the right side of the Ethanol arguement...
Fish

islandwoman120 Jul 5th 2011 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9476997)
I think the People of Wisconsin could use someone like you right now... they are getting beaten to a pulp by the Governer and others of a like mind... Very Sad...

Good for you being on the right side of the Ethanol arguement...
Fish

Thanks Fish. I keep abreast of the WI goings on, and am fed up with the government of that state. Back in 1994 I was involved in an attempted union formation in that state - was a Union Organizer for a summer - but the company pulled the fast ones they usually do, and stayed in control. That state has serious labor issues - it has a mandatory overtime law which is the pits. I always vowed I would never work in WI again - time things got seriously changed there. :frown:

Beedubya Jul 5th 2011 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9476460)
Some photos I recently took whilst on a walk around Frome:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7627122145144/

Here's some I have taken last weekend at Dunham Massey, off to check out your pics Rosie. :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/barbwin...7627108113304/