British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

bandrui May 30th 2011 4:22 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9395671)
Most definitely!

You will probably want to get a new British passport when you get there and use that from then on so no problem.

Hey thats what I'm going to do except I don't want to spring for a new passport. Economics and all.

That's what I'm thinking :thumbup:. May as well use that Canadian passport one more time since I just renewed it too.

I'm off to Friday Harbour this weekend... the US half of the group of islands I live in. Haven't found someone to watch the dog yet :eek:.

jasper123 May 30th 2011 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9396593)
How can they kick me out of my own country? I do have a birth certificate. Others on here have talked about not renewing their UK passport until they got there. Was hoping to hear from someone who has experienced doing this.

I realised just how much I have to do and it is my busy time right now, gardening, so I just can't do everything at once. So, I am just doing things as I can, sorting through clothes, papers, etc., getting the garden round, planting my veggies. I think it won't be until next year. Would be nice to put the house on the market in the Spring.

bandrui your quite right they cant chuck you out of your own country, and of course your birth certificate proves your British,
All I was really thinking was this, ----- if you enter UK on a canadian passport with a (one way ticket) the UK authorities at airport will not let you in period!!!! but of course if you buy a round trip ticket then you will be alright,

cheers May 30th 2011 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9398456)
bandrui your quite right they cant chuck you out of your own country, and of course your birth certificate proves your British,
All I was really thinking was this, ----- if you enter UK on a canadian passport with a (one way ticket) the UK authorities at airport will not let you in period!!!! but of course if you buy a round trip ticket then you will be alright,

I think she will be OK if her birth certificate is shown or it shows on her passport.
Lets see if they throw her out of Heathrow then she will end up in London.
I don't think the one way ticket will be an issue either.
Hey what do I know? A lot of strange things are coming up at the Border Control in the last few years.

aries_bird May 31st 2011 6:59 am

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9395431)
Well I wonder if there is anyone that has already taken the plunge and are already over here in UK,
Its about steaks, I have bought steaks 3 times so far from three different places ---- last one was lidle ---- anyway each time I cook it in the pan it comes out as tough as leather, the one I cooked today was sold as a top sirloin, now we all know in America that top sirloin steak is so tender when fried,
This one bought over here was absolutely full of gristle and the little meat that you could actually kind of chew OMG it takes about 100 chews to just chew a little piece of meat, tough like leather,
Any comments from anyone about British Steak meat would be welcome.
Rodney.

The very best steak here IMHO is that from the Aberdeeen Angus cow. The sirloin and rib eye is to die for. It IS expensive but when cooked properly and preferably on an outdoor grill you will be transported back to the US. We don't eat much because of the cost, but it is worth it for a treat. Supermarket meat tends to be rubbish so I agree with others, buy from a good butcher.

islandwoman120 May 31st 2011 7:18 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9398492)
I think she will be OK if her birth certificate is shown or it shows on her passport.
Lets see if they throw her out of Heathrow then she will end up in London.
I don't think the one way ticket will be an issue either.
Hey what do I know? A lot of strange things are coming up at the Border Control in the last few years.

When you travel to the UK on a non-UK passport, you need a round trip ticket - the travel agent won't sell you any other kind in any case, if you do not hold a passport for the country to which you are travelling. When you arrive in the UK, you have to complete paperwork for immigration, and one of the questions is - what nationality are you. So let's say that you are travelling on a Canadian passport - that makes you a Canadian citizen. The fact that you are also a UK citizen does not count at that time, as you are not travelling on a UK passport. So you enter on one passport, then as soon as you are able to, apply for and get your UK passport. It IS cheaper to do that from here, but you need an address to which it can be sent. And when it is sent to you, you will need to be at that address to sign for it's receipt, and show other identification that you are who you say you are, because passports are delivered by courier now, not in the Royal Mail.

How do I know all this: I just had to do this myself last year. Substitute the Canadian passport for a US passport.

If you apply from overseas, the paperwork needed, and the application form are different to the form you get once you are here - you get the form from the Post Office, and can get that by mail by going onto the internet site, or just from the Post Office counter. Each form has a unique barcode on it for tracking purposes. If you need Nationality papers, duplicate birth certificates etc, they can be obtained form the National Archives at Kew - you can do that on line too, and the Copying Service is also good at answering emails. But, and this is a pain - they follow protocol to the T, so even the simplest paper takes approximately one month to get from them.

cheers May 31st 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks Rosie.

As has been mentioned round trip tickets are cheaper than one way.(thats a blanket statement, huh)

cheers May 31st 2011 2:55 pm

I was looking at an old post and it said that chocolate is 76p for 200g so what does a chocolate bar cost? (how long is a piece of string?) So we will ask about a small bar. I understand that they have shrunk the size of the bar so the owners of the confectioner companies can buy their £4,500,000 mansions that are all over the English countryside.:frown: Thanks Kraft!

http://www.google.com/search?q=cadbu...w=1440&bih=779

Tell me about the bread that sells for 29p which is awful cheap.
On the subject of bread I was talking to the cashier who seems to know a lot about bread and he picked up a loaf and read the ingredients-molasses to make the white bread brown and then the biggy they put an item into the bread to hold it together and it is the same ingredient they put into plaster of paris. Good to know, right?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...s-1801591.html

jasper123 May 31st 2011 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9399147)
When you travel to the UK on a non-UK passport, you need a round trip ticket - the travel agent won't sell you any other kind in any case, if you do not hold a passport for the country to which you are travelling. When you arrive in the UK, you have to complete paperwork for immigration, and one of the questions is - what nationality are you. So let's say that you are travelling on a Canadian passport - that makes you a Canadian citizen. The fact that you are also a UK citizen does not count at that time, as you are not travelling on a UK passport. So you enter on one passport, then as soon as you are able to, apply for and get your UK passport. It IS cheaper to do that from here, but you need an address to which it can be sent. And when it is sent to you, you will need to be at that address to sign for it's receipt, and show other identification that you are who you say you are, because passports are delivered by courier now, not in the Royal Mail.

How do I know all this: I just had to do this myself last year. Substitute the Canadian passport for a US passport.

If you apply from overseas, the paperwork needed, and the application form are different to the form you get once you are here - you get the form from the Post Office, and can get that by mail by going onto the internet site, or just from the Post Office counter. Each form has a unique barcode on it for tracking purposes. If you need Nationality papers, duplicate birth certificates etc, they can be obtained form the National Archives at Kew - you can do that on line too, and the Copying Service is also good at answering emails. But, and this is a pain - they follow protocol to the T, so even the simplest paper takes approximately one month to get from them.

Rosie,
Thats what I was saying, thanks for explaining it all in detail,
When I came back home 6 months ago I still had 4 weeks validity on my UK Passport, and so there were absolutely no questions asked and no complications at all, so when you enter UK on a British passport its so much easier, for starters its a much faster line that you go in ---- the EU or British passport line, you just WIZZ through in no time, --- but if you are traveling on a NON UK passport you have to go into the LINE FROM HELL, and you get your passport stamped with a limited short stay time as a tourist:eek:
So I was lucky, I was able to enter UK on a UK passport keeping life very simple, thats how i like things, ---- and I just applied for my British Passport in UK, ----- BUT had I not had a valid UK passport, I would have most certainly have made sure I got it renewed before I left U.S. even though it would cost a little more from U.S. ---- but thats just me ----- why put yourself through all that hassle?
Just saying :)

jasper123 May 31st 2011 4:56 pm

check this out, a town in England is fineing people for swearing in public £80 for first offence:eek:
Good news is that its just going to be in force for the entire month of June:)

cheers May 31st 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by jasper123 (Post 9400239)
check this out, a town in England is fineing people for swearing in public £80 for first offence:eek:
Good news is that its just going to be in force for the entire month of June:)

So Rod how much does bread cost?

jasper123 May 31st 2011 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9400308)
So Rod how much does bread cost?

Well we buy a very nice and tasty wholemeal (wholewheat) 24 Oz loaf for
85p at the Co-Op or Iceland,
Im going to bed now, goodnight Cheers.

cheers Jun 1st 2011 3:20 am

Barbara, good luck on your first day of work on Wednesday, we will all be thinking of you.:thumbsup:

The other week one of the employers phoned and offered me a position to start on June 1st, they will review my pay after 12 months, so it can be hard in your 50's but not impossible. Also DDL who used to post on the over 50's thread was a legal secretary in the US and is now working as a PA at a University in London........

she posted this on another part of the forum.

Englishmum Jun 1st 2011 3:43 am

Oh yes, Beedubya (Barbara) - wishing you warm wishes for much success and enjoyment in your new job :thumbsup:

(It's my daughter's birthday too, my youngest sister's 20th wedding anniversary....and my son is going for a 5 hour job interview on 1st June too...poor kid, it's his first ever proper job interview in the NYC financial district near Wall Street, he's just graduated from uni and got the phone call a few hours ago calling him in so he hasn't had much time to prepare).

It's a big day on June 1st this year for quite a few people! Hope it's a wonderful day for all...:thumbup:

Beedubya Jun 1st 2011 5:01 am

Thanks for the good wishes Cheers and Englishmum and good luck to your son too. :thumbsup:

The weather has been not very nice oop North for the past 3 weeks while I have been sitting idle at home, mightn't you know it, this morning the sky is blue and the sun is shining. :ohmy:

jasper123 Jun 1st 2011 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9401761)
Thanks for the good wishes Cheers and Englishmum and good luck to your son too. :thumbsup:

The weather has been not very nice oop North for the past 3 weeks while I have been sitting idle at home, mightn't you know it, this morning the sky is blue and the sun is shining. :ohmy:

Barb good luck on your first day at your new Job ---- Opps its already June 1 today and its 5.30pm English time so your first day is probably over, well hope it went well for you:)
PS did you like the Job?
Rodney.