British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

trottytrue Jun 6th 2011 1:36 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Thankyou Mummy in the foothills and Beedubya...The funny thing is that I really dont feel ill If I hadnt noticed the bulls-eye I wouldnt have thought anything. But like you say I am glad I caught it but even catching the bulls-eye doesnt mean you have the desease. The bloodwork is not back yet but they take a precautionary view and think it better to take the medicine early than not.
Someone left a screen open the other night so the house was full of Mosquitoes we spent the evening killing them I really do hate them. :frown:

My neighbour is so excited about selling her house, she moves on the 23rd June. She had the well test done and the radon test. They found Radon in her basement so she had to give $1,000 towards treatment for it.

islandwoman120 Jun 6th 2011 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by trottytrue (Post 9412481)
Anyone been in touch with Charlygirl I have called her but got no reply hope shes alright.

Charley girl wrote me last night - she is on the move. She is fine, but I will leave it to here to write her news.

islandwoman120 Jun 6th 2011 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56 (Post 9412395)
Wow I used to live near Vernal...
Mr West may have been upset but he did pay his bill, to involve the police is stupid, they should have more important things to do, to fine him another 14.000 pennies is ridiculous.

I am guessing it is the fact that he made a commotion when he paid the pennies. I worked for attorneys in Illinois who paid their parking fines in pennies - I used to take the rolls of coins to the parking fine location (which was a post with a central hole into which you pushed your fine + paperwork) peel the paper off the rolls, and shove the coins into the hole in the post! The Traffic Warden used to scowl when she saw me coming :)

trottytrue Jun 6th 2011 6:36 pm

third time lucky....I got a laugh out of this...

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...rt&FORM=IDFRIR

cheers Jun 6th 2011 7:34 pm

Another budget I found on here.

Our joint income is £45.5. We live in SE London (Crystal Palace). We are in a lot of debt so don't manage that well, but if we weren't in debt we would be fine. We have two extra mortgages and pay about £950 mortgage altogether per month. I spend £120/month on my travel card (goes up to £128 when I renew next month), this is deducted out of my salary (many employers do season ticket loans). DH gets the bus to work - he works one week (7 days)on and one week off, nights, so buys a weekly bus pass every other week at £18, he uses Oyster pay-as-you-go for any odd bus rides the week he isn't working.

We only have a one-bed flat. They are currently about £150K in our area. Our council tax is £100/month, gas/electric £70, water £36, phone (landline £25), my mobile £22, DH has pay-as-you-go mobile, £10 lasts him a year! We pay £40 ground rent, £12 contents insurance, £50 to the vets (we have an arrangement because we have small pets but for cat or dog you can get insurance for much less), food £400, the rest goes on personal loan/credit card/catalogue payments, without which we'd be much better off.

As a rough guide, after my season ticket loan is taken from my salary, I get £1561/month for a £29K salary (but I buy 10 days extra annual leave/year or it would be more, and I pay pension, charity conts and union). DH takes home £1160 on a £16.5K salary (no pension, just tax and NI).

Mummy in the foothills Jun 6th 2011 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9413519)
I am guessing it is the fact that he made a commotion when he paid the pennies. I worked for attorneys in Illinois who paid their parking fines in pennies - I used to take the rolls of coins to the parking fine location (which was a post with a central hole into which you pushed your fine + paperwork) peel the paper off the rolls, and shove the coins into the hole in the post! The Traffic Warden used to scowl when she saw me coming :)

I love it :thumbsup:

islandwoman120 Jun 6th 2011 9:52 pm

New pics of flowers on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/islandw...7626777564581/

Some are my own arrangements which I do for the apartment building where I now live - they go in the public area each week. Some go in the main room, and some go to individual residents who want them.

cheers Jun 7th 2011 12:38 am

Thank you. Pretty!

cheers Jun 8th 2011 11:23 pm

Where is everyone? Gone fishing? or shopping or napping?

cheers Jun 9th 2011 12:43 am

Name all the people who are missing from here and not heard from in the last 7 days.

Easterndawn
dontheturner
dunroving
ldyinlv
windsong
fulwood
englishmom
sentosa

to name a few

cheers Jun 9th 2011 12:50 am

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...bFls3FCw&pli=1

Beedubya Jun 9th 2011 6:08 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9420508)
Name all the people who are missing from here and not heard from in the last 7 days.

Easterndawn
dontheturner
dunroving
ldyinlv
windsong
fulwood
englishmom
sentosa

to name a few

Jackie
Dunrovin'
Highspeedgrandma (though she has posted elsewhere)
Oldbritgirl
WAWA
Hightide

and the list goes on.........:(

Gabgoeshome Jun 9th 2011 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9420903)
Jackie
Dunrovin'
Highspeedgrandma (though she has posted elsewhere)
Oldbritgirl
WAWA
Hightide

and the list goes on.........:(

I'll say hello then ;)

We have a date now,mid February for sure :fingerscrossed:

Time to get cracking on our passports!

Beedubya Jun 9th 2011 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome (Post 9421436)
I'll say hello then ;)

We have a date now,mid February for sure :fingerscrossed:

Time to get cracking on our passports!

Oh I forgot about you because you are so young compared to us old fogies. :lol:

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS, the time will fly now you have a date to work with. :thumbsup:

Gabgoeshome Jun 9th 2011 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Beedubya (Post 9421468)
Oh I forgot about you because you are so young compared to us old fogies. :lol:

Wow, CONGRATULATIONS, the time will fly now you have a date to work with. :thumbsup:

Thanks Bee.:rofl:

I *have* been reading though,I am glad you are continuing to settle 'back home' and well done with the job too :)