British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

cheers Jun 24th 2011 9:53 pm

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9454718)
OK buddy - you have me really confused here. You are talking about two countries and two Heathcare systems. So: where did your mother live: US or UK? and where are you referring to in your text in the red colour?

Rosie, I think you know I was just relaying this posting that I got from somewhere.
The person was saying her mother died in the US because they couldn't afford medical treatment. I think that is what they said.

jasper123 Jun 24th 2011 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9455346)
Do you remember Mesquite, NV? Well we are 30 minutes north of there. We are are about 5 degrees cooler than LV and the good thing is it cools off at night which is different than LV.
I lived in Henderson for about 5 years by the Henderson airport or up in the hills above it.
So you get on Interstate 15 and drive for about 2 hours and eventually pass through Arizona and then into Utah and we are on the state line. It is much better than LV but not as good as some parts of the UK.

Climate

Because of the city's low elevation and southerly location, St. George is the hottest part of the state and has a mid-latitude arid climate (Koppen BWk), with maximum daily July temperatures averaging about 102 °F (39 °C). The hottest temperature ever recorded in Utah, 118 °F (48 °C), was recorded as being in a place south of St. George, near the Arizona border, on July 4, 2007.[citation needed] T
St. George lies in a desert and averages 8.25 inches (210 mm) of precipitation annually.as April 11 (in 1927).[citation needed] The record single day snowfall is 10.0 in (25.4 cm), set on January 5, 1974.

Yes Cheers I remember mesquite Nv. I have been there several times and I liked it there too, so your really close to there, thanks buddy, so you can give me your daily temp and all I have to do is add say 5 degrees :)

jasper123 Jun 24th 2011 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9455320)
&&& my MIL is 92

92 seems like a real popular age, I hope I get close to that age:)
Peter Falk (Colombo) died today aged 84 :( Ive always liked him, real take me as you see me kind of actor:( good character actor,

cheers Jun 25th 2011 12:24 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9455352)
Rosie, I think you know I was just relaying this posting that I got from somewhere.
The person was saying her mother died in the US because they couldn't afford medical treatment. I think that is what they said.

OK I found out this came from UKYankees Forum.

Re: Healthcare in the US
« Reply #12 on: Today at 06:10:51 AM »
I don't doubt that my mother would be alive today if she had been in this country an being cared for by the NHS. It sounds a bit emotive for me to say that, but I think she had just about given up on trying to get the care she needed (proper meds, oxygen machine, all the other things that she wasn't entitled to under whatever stop gap measures were in place for her).

Even the people with good insurance in the States are at risk of having something refused despite being appropriate for treatment. I wouldn't live back there if you paid me, at least not until the healthcare system is properly fixed (and I don't mean requiring people to buy broken coverage).

The first line she is referring to the UK when she says this country. She is an American living in the UK.

cheers Jun 25th 2011 12:28 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9455320)
&&& my MIL is 92

on July 7th to be accurate.

islandwoman120 Jun 25th 2011 4:43 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9455352)

No I didn't realise you were doing a cut and paste. Problem solved. :)

DDL Jun 26th 2011 6:46 pm

Cheers, mate, I like you - I really do - but one of the first rules on any online forum is that a person really shouldn't be cutting-and-pasting from other forums as you are using someone's information without their consent.

You've actually posted one or two of my comments (regarding failing my driving test) that you lifted from the UK-Yankee forum. Because I know you and know that you were just sharing in order to update everyone, I didn't say anything but really, people shouldn't be doing this on forums.

I'm surprised the mods here haven't picked up on this because I've seen posts from you on more than one occasion that you've taken from UK-Yankee ... and I know that for a fact because I participate over there and have, for years. (And I know that you are over there under your pseudo 'Cheers'.)

Not having a go at you Cheers, but it's not good practice to cut-and-paste comments w/o permission - especially from a different website altogether - especially ones that cover issues that tend to stir the pot.

In kindness and respect,

Denise

Sue Jun 26th 2011 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by DDL (Post 9458430)
Cheers, mate, I like you - I really do - but one of the first rules on any online forum is that a person really shouldn't be cutting-and-pasting from other forums as you are using someone's information without their consent.

You've actually posted one or two of my comments (regarding failing my driving test) that you lifted from the UK-Yankee forum. Because I know you and know that you were just sharing in order to update everyone, I didn't say anything but really, people shouldn't be doing this on forums.

I'm surprised the mods here haven't picked up on this because I've seen posts from you on more than one occasion that you've taken from UK-Yankee ... and I know that for a fact because I participate over there and have, for years. (And I know that you are over there under your pseudo 'Cheers'.)

Not having a go at you Cheers, but it's not good practice to cut-and-paste comments w/o permission - especially from a different website altogether - especially ones that cover issues that tend to stir the pot.

In kindness and respect,

Denise

Thanks Denise, that's a great point. I know not everyone is familiar with online forums, but as Denise has so eloquently put it please don't cut and paste content from other forums onto BE.

The best thing is if you feel a topic from elsewhere is relevant then post a link to it instead. :)

cheers Jun 27th 2011 3:06 pm

Monday Report

The price of gasoline/petrol is down in price

The value of the dollar is way up

The price of crued oil is way down

The price of housing is falling fast in the UK

and it goes on and on................:)

Mummy in the foothills Jun 27th 2011 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9459869)
Monday Report

The price of gasoline/petrol is down in price

The value of the dollar is way up

The price of crued oil is way down

The price of housing is falling fast in the UK

and it goes on and on................:)

:D:D

cheers Jun 28th 2011 2:27 pm

Yay its raining in London. Real live as it happens and up to the minute rain.

http://www.abbeyroad.com/visit/

cheers Jun 28th 2011 7:26 pm

Rodney, Its 104 in Las Vegas but no worry it will get warmed for you. I know you miss being warm;)

Here is today's news in the Review Journal. Its the usual stabbings etc.

http://www.lvrj.com/

aries Jun 29th 2011 5:09 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9462519)
Yay its raining in London. Real live as it happens and up to the minute rain.

http://www.abbeyroad.com/visit/

Looks dry now apart from a small puddle . . . and not one Beatle crossing the road :blink:

cheers Jun 30th 2011 12:43 am

I bought something today for $9. 2 weeks ago I bought the same thing at TARGET and paid $30.
Buyers beware.

Mummy in the foothills Jun 30th 2011 1:11 am

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9466041)
I bought something today for $9. 2 weeks ago I bought the same thing at TARGET and paid $30.
Buyers beware.

Now I want to know what?
I bought gas today for $3.49 a gallon, that has been a long time coming. I was paying well over $4 a gallon for a while