British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Over 40's Moving Back and Catching Up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/over-40s-moving-back-catching-up-701116/)

ehl250 Dec 26th 2011 4:57 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's Chit-Chat & Daily Catch-Up Thread

Originally Posted by islandwoman120 (Post 9800801)
Almost Christmas! Where has everyone gone - this is the most silent thread ever. All the best to everyone, where ever you are. :D

Some of us are eating Turkey & other good things.
Happy 2012.

dunroving Dec 26th 2011 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9806371)
You can get small lights that attach on though so they can be read in lowlight or in the dark :) Amazon have several on the site.

Yes, I have one of those, built into the leather cover. I don't recommend them for several reasons:

It makes the cover much heavier/thicker than the Kindle alone - there are lots of basic protective covers that are much lighter.
They suck up the juice and reduce battery life considerably.
They are too expensive (at least the ones built into the cover are - about £50!).
You rarely need them - how often do people really read in the dark?

For situations where you might need extra light (camping, in the bedroom if you wake up in the middle of the night and don't want to wake the missis, etc.), there are other/cheaper ways of finding light - a cheap head torch, a mini-reading light attached to the headboard, etc.

I've never used the mini-light in my Kindle cover, ever. :o

mikelincs Dec 26th 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9806706)
Yes, I have one of those, built into the leather cover. I don't recommend them for several reasons:

It makes the cover much heavier/thicker than the Kindle alone - there are lots of basic protective covers that are much lighter.
They are too expensive (at least the ones built into the cover are - about £50!).

For situations where you might need extra light (camping, in the bedroom if you wake up in the middle of the night and don't want to wake the missis, etc.), there are other/cheaper ways of finding light - a cheap head torch, a mini-reading light attached to the headboard, etc.

I had a battery operated one that clips to the kindle, but I now have a 'light snake' which is 2 lights at either end of a flexible tube, you can bend it so it goes round your neck, the lights at the end are, each, 2 leds, one for focussed light and one for a diffused light covering a larger area, either one, or both, lights at each end can be on at the same time as can both ends. Got it cheap, £1 for 2, from one of the shopping channels, but have seen them in places like Poundland.

dontheturner Dec 26th 2011 12:33 pm

Yes, I have one of those, built into the leather

Hello Dunrovin. Took your advice, and went to Currys, as we are friends with the manager, this Boxing Day morning. On his advice, and with a suitable discount, came home with a Kindle (although he has Sony, Binatone, Kobo and others), as he gave us a three year extended warranty. and, as they have no ebooks - anywhere near as reasonable as ebay. - I have now ordered from there. Thanks for your welcome help. Don

Pollyana Dec 26th 2011 3:54 pm

Mine's not one of the built-in ones, its an add-on one, has its own battery (like a watch battery) so it doesn't drain the Kindle itself. When not using it simply detatch it - and leave it at home if you wish. I often read in the dark - its handy when sharing a room while staying with friends for instance, or on Brisbane buses which are often dimly lit.
This kind of thing :)

mikelincs Dec 26th 2011 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 9806906)
Mine's not one of the built-in ones, its an add-on one, has its own battery (like a watch battery) so it doesn't drain the Kindle itself. When not using it simply detatch it - and leave it at home if you wish. I often read in the dark - its handy when sharing a room while staying with friends for instance, or on Brisbane buses which are often dimly lit.
This kind of thing :)

That's what I started with, cheaper on Ebay though. This is what I now use.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-lis...W&linkCode=asm

bandrui Dec 27th 2011 3:25 am

Originally Posted by sallysimmons (Post 9806168)
You're going to have to learn to say stuffing :lol:

Like many other words, I use them interchangeably. Sometimes I cna't remember which is English and which N. American. :D

dunroving Dec 27th 2011 10:30 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9807319)
Like many other words, I use them interchangeably. Sometimes I cna't remember which is English and which N. American. :D

I find a lot of Americanisms have been either adopted or accepted in the UK. I hear "math" instead of "maths" and "period" instead of "full stop" regularly, in everyday life and from TV presenters.

Bevm Dec 27th 2011 12:03 pm

Since you're talking about Kindle, today's deal is the Guiness Book of Records for 99p. I'm not sure how it'll work on an e-reader as one can't flip around easily, but I bought it.

There are quite a lot of free books, and sometimes they're good ones because authors or publishers sometimes put a book up free for a short time to get a buzz before returning it to the regular price.

There are a lot of bad free books, though, self-published badly.

Bev

Derrygal Dec 27th 2011 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 9807560)
I find a lot of Americanisms have been either adopted or accepted in the UK. I hear "math" instead of "maths" and "period" instead of "full stop" regularly, in everyday life and from TV presenters.

I spoke to my niece by telephone on Christmas Eve (she lives in the Inverness area of Scotland). I hadn't talked to her for a while so asked her how she was doing - her response "I'm doing good"! It sounded so American, yet she has never lived here. If I had asked her that question a few years ago, she would probably have answered "I'm very well".

2aT Dec 27th 2011 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9807319)

This one confused me for quite a few years. In the UK I always called it stuffing and cooked it separately outside of the turkey. Then I learned that it is stuffing if it is cooked in the poultry cavity and dressing if cooked separately. Makes sense to me.

Mummy in the foothills Dec 27th 2011 7:39 pm

All you kindle users, if you google Free books for kindle you can get all sorts. Plus there are free ones on Amazon. Theres also a way to share, if you have lots of books you can share with friends and send them to each other,

windsong Dec 28th 2011 2:19 am

Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by cheers (Post 9056223)
Attachment 97779

I'm much more handsome that this:lol:

Cheers

LOVE it, Cheers! :D :D

windsong Dec 28th 2011 2:22 am

Originally Posted by bandrui (Post 9805975)
I'm still cleaning for friends coming tomorrow and still have dressing to make :eek: but wanted to wish everyone here a very Happy Christmas and Peace, Health, Freedom and Prosperity in the New Year! (Hope it's less challenging than the last one :(.)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Linda!! :)

bandrui Dec 28th 2011 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Bevm (Post 9807610)
Since you're talking about Kindle, today's deal is the Guiness Book of Records for 99p. I'm not sure how it'll work on an e-reader as one can't flip around easily, but I bought it.

There are quite a lot of free books, and sometimes they're good ones because authors or publishers sometimes put a book up free for a short time to get a buzz before returning it to the regular price.

There are a lot of bad free books, though, self-published badly.

Bev

There are HEAPS of free books available for download on the internet from obscure classics to current books.

I have worked in the computer industry most of my adult life. I love technology and wouldn't mind a Kindle or similar device but I have to say, as a confirmed bookaholic, that nothing replaces the feeling of holding a wonderful book in my hand. It is something of a sensual experience for me.;) ... so much more than just the text it contains. About 90% of the books I own are non-fiction and I consider them my reference library. On occasion I go to look up something in one book and hours later have pulled out many books that I want to keep in my current pile.

I am terribly sentimental about my books. I have the first book my Grandmother ever bought me when I was about 7 years old "Wild Flowers of Wayside and Woodland", the books she bought me when I passed the 11+, the books about horses and ponies, that my father bought me, etc. etc. I bring home or order on the net probably around 100 books a year if not more and everytime I try to cull them, I have a really hard time finding a few.

I would sell all of my other things before my books and when I go to England, my books are going with me.