Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 24th 2020, 9:11 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

[QUOTE=BristolUK;12857392]

But roast them to get them at their best.

The one’s in your picture are the look I always go for in a roast...I just find them just a bit too sweet for me. I have been sitting here giggling about a ‘carrot gone off’. I don’t mind them in a big stew, the sugar is less intense. I’m not keen on the habit over the last 15 years or so of substituting sweet potato into a recipe that would normally have had potato either, it goes from being savoury to an unwanted sweet. Canada does use a lot more root vegetables than I am used to...quite a lot of them I rather like...golden beets was a new, and pleasant discovery...they also eat the leaves of beet, which makes sense, but I’d never had them before - l’m feeling Farmers Market withdrawal !

Old May 24th 2020, 9:17 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The stepkids take great delight in reminding their grandmother that she used to throw parsnips away, believing them to be carrots that hadn't turned out right..
That gave me a good laugh
Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I always thought they were white carrots, I actually had to look up parsnips in google to get a picture, and what I always thought were white carrots appear to be parsnips.
So did that

Old May 24th 2020, 9:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of vegetables, I was always mystified when scouse mentioned mashed carrot and turnip as one of the apparently must have side dishes to a Christmas roast dinner. Didn't sound too appetising to me, I like turnip in soup but mashed?

Anyway, one Christmas I thought I'd make it for him as a surprise. Boiled the carrots and turnips in salted water, mashed them with butter and a bit of cracked pepper. Waited for the applause.

He looked like he was sucking a lemon and asked 'what's this?' It took a while to work out, what he calls turnips are in fact swedes God knows what he calls turnips, I didn't want to get into it.
Old May 24th 2020, 9:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheltonian
I find that when cooking frozen oven fries (especially the coated ones) in the Actify it is best to use the snack basket, the fries dont get "tumbled" so the coating stays intact and no extra oil needed.
I didn't know there was such a thing.

Thanks.
Old May 24th 2020, 9:46 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Speaking of vegetables, I was always mystified when scouse mentioned mashed carrot and turnip as one of the apparently must have side dishes to a Christmas roast dinner.
I'm always amazed at the number of people who have mash with roast turkey. It's got to be roast potatoes and then there's no point in another version of spud.

Having said that, having convinced the others that roast turkey is actually very good and needn't be dry and that it's very good with roast parsnips, my homemade cranberry and orange sausagemeat stuffing it's now one of the family favourites and we have t at least three times a year.

Two of them are Canadian and American Thanksgiving - not that we're religious or anything, the turkeys are available for a decent price beforehand - and because that's close together I make some variation to what we have. Mashed spud (likely with carrot and rutabaga, just to avoid similar confusion ) replaces the roast spuds.
Old May 24th 2020, 9:53 pm
Concierge

I'm always amazed at the number of people who have mash with roast turkey. It's got to be roast potatoes and then there's no point in another version of spud.

Having said that, having convinced the others that roast turkey is actually very good and needn't be dry and that it's very good with roast parsnips, my homemade cranberry and orange sausagemeat stuffing it's now one of the family favourites and we have t at least three times a year.

Two of them are Canadian and American Thanksgiving - not that we're religious or anything, the turkeys are available for a decent price beforehand - and because that's close together I make some variation to what we have. Mashed spud (likely with carrot and rutabaga, just to avoid similar confusion ) replaces the roast spuds.
There will never come a day when I serve a roast dinner without roast spuds. I've tried to like turkey but can't quite manage it, even a nice juicy one. It's not even as if I don't like the taste, I think it's more that if I'm going to go to the trouble of cooking a roast dinner I'm going to do our favourite, lamb. Next on the list is beef, then pork, then chicken. Poor old turkey languishes at the bottom. It's probably because I live on the wrong side of the world

I had to look up rutabaga
Old May 24th 2020, 10:07 pm
Oscar nominated

I'd never heard of it until I came here. Of course I had to get used to zucchini instead of courgette too.
Old May 24th 2020, 10:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

There will never come a day when I serve a roast dinner without roast spuds. I've tried to like turkey but can't quite manage it, even a nice juicy one. It's not even as if I don't like the taste, I think it's more that if I'm going to go to the trouble of cooking a roast dinner I'm going to do our favourite, lamb. Next on the list is beef, then pork, then chicken. Poor old turkey languishes at the bottom. It's probably because I live on the wrong side of the world

Totally agree with you. Turkey is overrated to me. You never see turkey done up in any unusual ways do you. A few years ago we spent Christmas at a french ski resort had a lovely christmas lunch done by my cousins and there wasn't a turkey in sight. It was great. Roast lamb, lots of lovely cheeses, charcuterie, fancy sandwiches, lots of wine and even french and english beer.

For me the hierarchy is lamb, seafood, chicken, beef, pork and way way way down turkey.
Old May 24th 2020, 10:13 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Totally agree with you. Turkey is overrated to me. You never see turkey done up in any unusual ways do you. A few years ago we spent Christmas at a french ski resort had a lovely christmas lunch done by my cousins and there wasn't a turkey in sight. It was great. Roast lamb, lots of lovely cheeses, charcuterie, fancy sandwiches, lots of wine and even french and english beer.

For me the hierarchy is lamb, seafood, chicken, beef, pork and way way way down turkey.
That Christmas lunch your cousins did is my idea of perfection, all my favourite things!
Old May 24th 2020, 10:18 pm
Concierge

I'd never heard of it until I came here. Of course I had to get used to zucchini instead of courgette too.
I had to look up courgette too It's zucchini here as well. 'Scallions' was a puzzle until I discovered they're spring onions. And we're eggplant, not aubergine. I could go on forever!
Old May 24th 2020, 10:20 pm
Oscar nominated

I had to look up courgette too It's zucchini here as well. 'Scallions' was a puzzle until I discovered they're spring onions. And we're eggplant, not aubergine. I could go on forever!
Do you have orange coloured cheese like they do here or do you have cheese coloured cheese?
Old May 24th 2020, 10:23 pm
Concierge

Do you have orange coloured cheese like they do here or do you have cheese coloured cheese?
Cheese coloured, thankfully. Except for the red leicester I get for scouse, that's orange (I wonder why it's not red!)
Old May 24th 2020, 11:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of vegetables, I was always mystified when scouse mentioned mashed carrot and turnip as one of the apparently must have side dishes to a Christmas roast dinner. Didn't sound too appetising to me, I like turnip in soup but mashed?

Anyway, one Christmas I thought I'd make it for him as a surprise. Boiled the carrots and turnips in salted water, mashed them with butter and a bit of cracked pepper. Waited for the applause.

He looked like he was sucking a lemon and asked 'what's this?' It took a while to work out, what he calls turnips are in fact swedes God knows what he calls turnips, I didn't want to get into it.
Ah - the way I was taught to cook turnip (rutabega) the 'Canadian way' - peel turnip, cut into 1 inch squares, cook in salted water until tender and 'orange'.
Mash and add lots of salted butter and some brown sugar, a little pepper.. keep mashing (and adding butter) until it comes together... surprisingly it's not bad!
https://thecookiewriter.com/mashed-r...mashed-turnip/
:0
Old May 24th 2020, 11:42 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Ah - the way I was taught to cook turnip (rutabega) the 'Canadian way' - peel turnip, cut into 1 inch squares, cook in salted water until tender and 'orange'.
Mash and add lots of salted butter and some brown sugar, a little pepper.. keep mashing (and adding butter) until it comes together... surprisingly it's not bad!
https://thecookiewriter.com/mashed-r...mashed-turnip/
:0
You make it sound very appetising! I'd say that I'll give that a go but I probably won't Only because I'm too lazy to cook something that I might not enjoy.
Old May 25th 2020, 6:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

The protesters were out today, they want medical freedom, and wont be tracked, vaccinated, tested or masked and they wont be property of Canada.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c..._this_time_at/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.