Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old May 23rd 2020, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Teaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond reputeTeaandtoday5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Danny B
Thank you, I think I have figured it out. Can you test for me?
can’t believe I fell for that
Old May 23rd 2020, 8:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I like french fries, well some french fries namely the kind you get at fast food places, haven't ever been able to make a french fry I like myself or the store frozen variety.
These come highly recommended. By none other than me.
They work well in the actifry although some of the crispy coating comes off. Great in the oven. Best. oven. fries. ever.

Old May 23rd 2020, 9:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I wonder if the 'list' price in this case is a previously listed price on Amazon - possibly by a third party seller.

Some years ago I contacted them about what I thought was an error - someone was asking several hundred $$ for something that should have been about $15. Their response was that sellers could ask what they like.

The reviews are okay apart from the one that said "I think it turned some of my plants brown"
Ah yes that might be it. Some of the list prices are just insanely high you almost want to laugh. I hate 3rd party sellers, they end up causing prices to increase, 3rd party seller up's their price on something to say $33.99 then Amazon will up their own price to something like $33.98, really is a stupid system, but then I guess majority using Amazon are doing so for convenience, they are rarely the best value, but some of the pricing is just insane. Another product on Amazon $37 and some change, average retail price is around $15 at most independent pet stores.

These come highly recommended. By none other than me.
They work well in the actifry although some of the crispy coating comes off. Great in the oven. Best. oven. fries. ever.
I will have to see if the store has this brand, usually get McCain but haven't found any of theirs to be that good.
Old May 23rd 2020, 10:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes that might be it. Some of the list prices are just insanely high you almost want to laugh. I hate 3rd party sellers...
It's the obvious price fixing that gets me. I was looking at something last week - don't recall what.
Price $8 and free delivery
Price $5, shipping $3
Price $1, shipping $7

I will have to see if the store has this brand, usually get McCain but haven't found any of theirs to be that good.
Both brands do a good potato wedge but Cavendish is king for fries. Usually cost a bit more but note the size of the bag in the pic. Works out much cheaper.

In my early days in Canada, my wife told me that 'oven' chips weren't available yet. In the supermarket one day I saw some. We bought them, ate them and they were very good. But it turned out they were not oven chips after all.

In the freezer, the wrapper was a bit crumpled and I had read vendish believing it was Ovendish with the O part obscured. That's when I discovered Cavendish.

Old May 23rd 2020, 10:39 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

In the freezer, the wrapper was a bit crumpled and I had read vendish believing it was Ovendish with the O part obscured. That's when I discovered Cavendish.
Kind of like mistaking original for virgin.
Old May 23rd 2020, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the obvious price fixing that gets me. I was looking at something last week - don't recall what.
Price $8 and free delivery
Price $5, shipping $3
Price $1, shipping $7
Ah yes the ebay model, that was popular on ebay (maybe still is? I never use ebay) for awhile, very low price but high shipping.

But some airlines do it as well, namely the super low cost ones, Spirit in the US will advertise some low $1 fare but then add on fees after fees, and end result basically paid the same price as any other airline unless you travel with nothing but the clothes on your back.

Old May 24th 2020, 1:24 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

How sad am I...I've never tried these in the Actify! I only ever make crunchy potatoes in it...but I do so probably four times weekly - the best bit of kitchenalia I've ever bought. I will give them a try.

The funny thing about living in NB is you realise the 'full' potential of the potato. Both McCain and Cavendish are massive employers in Atlantic Canada...obviously along with Irving, but coming from 'away' I hadn't fully understood the importance of these companies - terrifying really.
Old May 24th 2020, 1:28 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
How sad am I...I've never tried these in the Actify! I only ever make crunchy potatoes in it...but I do so probably four times weekly - the best bit of kitchenalia I've ever bought. I will give them a try..
The wedges kind work better as there's no coating to come off.

Do carrots too. And parsnips but they're quite quick.
Old May 24th 2020, 1:46 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I do my own wedges, chips, square cut things...I sometimes wonder what I did in NB in my spare time other than cut up, soak and dry potatoes for the Actifry

I hate parsnips...but my husband loves them. We all like carrots- thank you...I will give them a try.
Old May 24th 2020, 4:25 am
Account Closed

You would think carrots in a bag would cost more vs those not in a bag, just because it seems it would take more effort and cost to bag carrots vs the bulk carrots not in a bag.

But then the dog food from New Zealand costs less vs the dog food made 45 minutes away from us, and it has to cost a heck of a lot more to ship dog food from NZ to BC, but I guess costs must be lower in NZ, and oranges too, the 3 and 5lb bags are cheaper than buying the bulk per pound.

All looks and tastes the same to me, but maybe technically the bulk is a better grade of produce?
Old May 24th 2020, 2:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MillieF
I hate parsnips....
The stepkids take great delight in reminding their grandmother that she used to throw parsnips away, believing them to be carrots that hadn't turned out right..
Old May 24th 2020, 5:38 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The stepkids take great delight in reminding their grandmother that she used to throw parsnips away, believing them to be carrots that hadn't turned out right..
I don't care for parsnips roasted but use them sliced and cubed in my soups and am fine with that. Husband, the Canuck, loves roasted parsnips.
Old May 24th 2020, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

I always thought they were white carrots, I actually had to look up parsnips in google to get a picture, and what I always thought were white carrots appear to be parsnips.

I have however never tried them, they never looked appealing to me.
Old May 24th 2020, 7:19 pm
Oscar nominated

I always thought they were white carrots, I actually had to look up parsnips in google to get a picture, and what I always thought were white carrots appear to be parsnips.

I have however never tried them, they never looked appealing to me.
They're delicious with turkey and chicken. Just a good idea not to cook them with the bit in the middle, but sometimes they're small enough for that not to matter.

But roast them to get them at their best.

Old May 24th 2020, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

The wedges kind work better as there's no coating to come off.

I find that when cooking frozen oven fries (especially the coated ones) in the Actify it is best to use the snack basket, the fries dont get "tumbled" so the coating stays intact and no extra oil needed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.