Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Nov 29th 2020, 3:37 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Danny B
I had a joke about the monolith, but then it was gone.

It will reappear. Someone's prank. Not that original really.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 3:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

We've had no problem with Amazon deliveries either and yes, we are Prime members.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 4:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Prime makes no financial sense when living in Kelowna, there is no 2 day or 1 day delivery even with Prime it would take at least a week. Upside is I hardly use them now, downside when I can find something locally it takes 1-2 weeks. Only reason I dropped Prime was I saw no benefit to it, certainly doesn't speed up delivery, I did have the first few months we were here.

I guess it's just from not living in a large metro area, closest fulfillment centers are in Vancouver and Calgary.

I just found it interesting that as soon at is it "ships" they have been putting the "your package may arrive late" message before it's even picked up by the courier.

This message, shows up by default these days. For the record on this one still in transit, Canada Post tracking shows its been processed in Richmond (near Vancouver) and is in transit, with an estimated delivery day of December 4, just the way Amazon has been defaulting to this late message caught my eye, as Amazon surely isn't using Canada Post tracking to determine this.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 29th 2020 at 4:40 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 5:18 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Amazon's new thing is having delivery dates 1-2 weeks out, shipping 1-2 days after ordering, and immediately updates that the parcel will be delayed. None have been delayed yet, but I guess they just want people to be prepared. Still taking 1-2 weeks for things to arrive though, downside I guess of not being in a large metropolitan region anymore.
Originally Posted by mikelincs
My last amazon order, three thins, had delivery dates from next day to 4 days. all arrived the next day. I do use prime.
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I use Prime too and haven’t had any problems with delivery.
Originally Posted by Rete
We've had no problem with Amazon deliveries either and yes, we are Prime members.
I'm a long standing Prime subscriber and I've had some items delayed by days and some delivered to the wrong house - delivery is often showing as 'next day' - and then not turning up for almost a week. I'm actually wondering if Prime is worth paying for at the moment, I haven't had a 1 day or even 3 day delivery since last year! They seem to use 2 different shipping / delivery agents in my area - one is excellent- an email saying 'delivery within 3 hours' and telling you what number you are on the route - and what number they are currently delivering to.. they take a photo and ring the bell, usually within an hour of the email. The other absolutely abysmal - the 'updates' are wrong, saying out for delivery - and then not being delivered at all - with an update the following day stating 'out for deliver' again.. and no show, they are the ones that often deliver to the wrong address (they show a map on the update for 'delivered' - and it clearly shows the wrong house!). I had to argue with Amazon customer care for 30m (5 different customer service peeps) to get a refund on the last item that was delivered to the wrong address - they wanted me to wait to see if it showed up, well duh, if it shows it was delivered to the wrong address hours ago, I don't think it is likely to 'show up' now! They said that often delivery services mark things as delivered early, before delivering.. well if that's the case, what is the point in showing proof of delivery!

Walmart is the same of late. I ordered a few small items for Christmas on 20th November.. they were supposed to be delivered by 23rd.. with updates "it's on it's way!" -except it wasn't. On the 25th I received an email saying 'delivery delayed'.. then on 27th another email saying 2 items were 'out of stock'. Then yesterday I received another email saying 'delivery delayed' - I'm waiting for the 'out of stock' email to come. So far out of 9 items ordered (all on the same order), I've received 4.
Normally I wouldn't care too much, I'd just pop out and pick up replacements.. but this year is different, I haven't been into a store since February.
Old Nov 29th 2020, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was having issues in Vancouver last year from about this time until middle of April, so the issues predate COVID but COVID certainly exacerbated the problem.

Staffing is also probably an issue, Amazon fulfillment centers are horrible places to work, and Amazon has unrealistic speeds people need to meet to stay employed. A little over 50% of my old co-workers at the airport had at some point worked in one of the local Amazon centers and they did not have good things to say, and Amazon has gained a bad reputation, doesn't pay enough, and then they act perplexed why they have trouble staffing.

Old Nov 30th 2020, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Would be interesting to have an air quality test done in the apartment in winter. I suspect my throat, cough and chest congestion I often get in the winter months with no known cause that lingers for months, is connected to indoor air quality.

Apartments don't have the best ventilation to begin with, open windows is the only option, but in winter its generally too cold to keep the windows open for long enough periods.

Just a connection I made when bored last night. Smaller space the poorer the ventilation the less time it takes for air quality to gown down. I doubt the very dry heat electric heat provides helps either.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:00 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Would be interesting to have an air quality test done in the apartment in winter. I suspect my throat, cough and chest congestion I often get in the winter months with no known cause that lingers for months, is connected to indoor air quality.

Apartments don't have the best ventilation to begin with, open windows is the only option, but in winter its generally too cold to keep the windows open for long enough periods.

Just a connection I made when bored last night. Smaller space the poorer the ventilation the less time it takes for air quality to gown down. I doubt the very dry heat electric heat provides helps either.
Perhaps buy a humidifier? It might be the dry air that increases your cough.. although allergies can have similar effects, my son has suffered from allergy issues from the age of 8 months to now, although since moving to Canada he only usually reacts in the fall (autumn) when leaf mold is prevalent. .
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps buy a humidifier? It might be the dry air that increases your cough.. although allergies can have similar effects, my son has suffered from allergy issues from the age of 8 months to now, although since moving to Canada he only usually reacts in the fall (autumn) when leaf mold is prevalent. .
We are looking at humidifiers. Just haven't gotten one yet.

I am not sure if its allergies, the doctor pumped me on allergy medications last winter and none worked, it generally comes out of the blue, gets worse and worse then one day after weeks or a couple months vanishes without a trace. I had 2 chest x-rays last winter and both clear, and so doctor had no idea, and nothing OTC or RX helped.

It's perplexing, but I do notice the years I am not working outside its always worse vs the years where I was working outside at the airport, so I kind of think it's air quality related. I do have all the windows open today and ventilation fans on to try and draw out old air and bring in outside air, it's a little chilly and the dog isn't thrilled but eh only way to ventilate. But I can handle 60-65F indoors with a sweater on, now if my home were she could not and would have everything closed up.

If I ever can, I am going to have an air quality test done, I really think its indoor air quality related, just don't know what exactly.
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:15 pm
Banned

I am not sure if its allergies, the doctor pumped me on allergy medications last winter and none worked, it generally comes out of the blue, gets worse and worse then one day after weeks or a couple months vanishes without a trace. I had 2 chest x-rays last winter and both clear, and so doctor had no idea, and nothing OTC or RX helped.

It's perplexing, but I do notice the years I am not working outside its always worse vs the years where I was working outside at the airport, so I kind of think it's air quality related. I do have all the windows open today and ventilation fans on to try and draw out old air and bring in outside air, it's a little chilly and the dog isn't thrilled but eh only way to ventilate. But I can handle 60-65F indoors with a sweater on, now if my home were she could not and would have everything closed up.

If I ever can, I am going to have an air quality test done, I really think its indoor air quality related, just don't know what exactly.
Would one of these help, for getting better air circulation? https://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdg...fan/1001094738
Old Nov 30th 2020, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I take one Costco equivalent of Claritin in the morning for allergies when necessary. I have to be careful of chest congestion...anything containing Guaifenesin helps with this...ie Benylin, Mucinex. Nasal congestion...Afrin or equivalent.

Old Dec 1st 2020, 3:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

My thoughts exactly. If you don't have the money to buy a humidifier, then sit in the bathroom for 5 minutes with the hot water only running. The steam will help a great deal.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 3:53 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete

My thoughts exactly. If you don't have the money to buy a humidifier, then sit in the bathroom for 5 minutes with the hot water only running. The steam will help a great deal.
I've been leaving boiling pot of water on the stove, can get it up to 25%-30% range doing that.

I do the shower running with door closed as well.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 12:18 pm
Concierge

I've been leaving boiling pot of water on the stove, can get it up to 25%-30% range doing that.

I do the shower running with door closed as well.
It does help to moisten the throat and nasal passages. Glad you have been doing this.
Old Dec 1st 2020, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

BC has a new health gateway site, it's not the most informative, only info it has is my recent COVID test and the last 12 years of prescriptions per month, but the graph for the medications is interesting.

That big spike in 2013 was when I had an awful bacterial infection, its all antibiotics. Can also kind of tell when I had a GP who did 3 month refills and when I had a GP who required monthly visits.

Old Dec 3rd 2020, 10:14 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Market trends in the arms industry vis a vis China and the United States demonstrated by two contemporary celebrities:
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetb...eb2x&context=3

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.