Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jul 3rd 2019, 5:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by caretaker
Former premier of Saskatchewan Brad Wall cancelled our provincial film tax credit, killing the movie business here. Some of the industry professionals sold their houses and moved their families to places that were still welcoming Hollywood money, and some changed careers. Wall's stupid move isn't something that can be easily corrected.
Netflix and the CW have kept TV production pretty busy in Vancouver, and of course various movies, and Hallmark movies, especially Christmas ones. Hallmark usually does their Christmas movie filming around this time of year.

I know we have lost some TV series to California in the last couple years as they changed their tax credits to make California more attractive, but still busy in Vancouver.

Rete- I only share because that is what the books, websites and gov't pamphlets say to do to try and find help, one of the most common things listed on such resources is to reach out to others.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jul 3rd 2019 at 6:02 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2019, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not everyone wants to share their personal struggles with others and remain rather private. My daughter never told any of her friends that she was battling stage 3 breast cancer for the last 9 months.

Hi ............. I can well understand her.

Some people who have breast cancer find it easier to talk about it and that it helps them, while others don't, are maybe more private a person.

Old Jul 3rd 2019, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Some people who have breast cancer find it easier to talk about it and that it helps them, while others don't, are maybe more private a person.
Yes, it's an individual thing. Here in Cayman (in the Caribbean) there is an active cancer-survivors group that meets once or twice a year for a (sponsored) hotel breakfast, and most members' photos are on a wall inside the entrance to our government hospital. There's not much shyness here, for some reason.

And, these days, a large proportion of cancer-patients are being prescribed cannabis-oil, either as a supplement to chemo or instead of chemo. The demand for it is very high, and it's been very useful for patients to openly discuss the whole issue.

(Unfortunately, our supply from Canada has become rather irregular in recently weeks because of the huge demand up there. Overseas patients are less of a concern for the manufactures than domestic ones, naturally enough!)
Old Jul 4th 2019, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Robin233 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Not everyone wants to share their personal struggles with others and remain rather private. My daughter never told any of her friends that she was battling stage 3 breast cancer for the last 9 months.
Some breast cancer patients can easily become victims of depression, which will make breast cancer treatment more difficult. I recommend joining a forum or self-help group, which will work with many people to fight breast cancer.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
Yes, it's an individual thing. Here in Cayman (in the Caribbean) there is an active cancer-survivors group that meets once or twice a year for a (sponsored) hotel breakfast, and most members' photos are on a wall inside the entrance to our government hospital. There's not much shyness here, for some reason.

And, these days, a large proportion of cancer-patients are being prescribed cannabis-oil, either as a supplement to chemo or instead of chemo. The demand for it is very high, and it's been very useful for patients to openly discuss the whole issue.

(Unfortunately, our supply from Canada has become rather irregular in recently weeks because of the huge demand up there. Overseas patients are less of a concern for the manufactures than domestic ones, naturally enough!)

I was actually one of the talkative ones, and am not shy about talking about the two separate and different breast cancers that I've had! It helped me, and I hope, did not bother others.

I was lucky, didn't have chemo or radiation, so never had to try cannabis in any form, but I do know it works.

But I never felt the need to join a group, and heaven forfend that I tell anyone else what they must do! It is a very personal decision.

Last edited by scilly; Jul 4th 2019 at 2:57 am.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 2:57 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robin233
Some breast cancer patients can easily become victims of depression, which will make breast cancer treatment more difficult. I recommend joining a forum or self-help group, which will work with many people to fight breast cancer.
Horses for courses really, forums and self-help groups can be great if people want to use them, but if people aren't comfortable with it they shouldn't feel they need to do it as part of their treatment Whatever works for the individual is my motto.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

6.4 earthquake hit California today, centered in a fairly sparsely populated area 121 miles NE of Los Angeles. Some reports of damage in the small towns closest to the epicenter. (there was a 5.8 off the coast of BC last night as well.)

https://ktla.com/2019/07/04/6-6-eart...n-4th-of-july/
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow

Cannabis-oil can only help with pain and may stimulate the appetite of cancer patients. But it can't help cure breast cancer, and the concept of Cannabis-oil cure breast cancer is a falsified concept.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yeah stress is the # 1 trigger for me for psoriasis, the higher the stress the worse the outbreak.

I haven't found any solution to the stress yet.
Tea tree oil can help treat psoriasis, which has many uses, especially skin problems.E.g psoriasis, cold sores and fungal infection.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:48 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Tea tree oil can help treat psoriasis, which has many uses, especially skin problems.E.g psoriasis, cold sores and fungal infection.
Jsmth321 is like me. He does not do smells and that stuff stinks

Anyway....

6.4 earthquake hit California today, centered in a fairly sparsely populated area 121 miles NE of Los Angeles. Some reports of damage in the small towns closest to the epicenter. (there was a 5.8 off the coast of BC last night as well.)

https://ktla.com/2019/07/04/6-6-eart...n-4th-of-july/
Well. My best wishes to all those in that area. I loathe the bluddy things. Can never be blythe about them.

Anyway. Random Stuff.

Today we have winter sunshine.
Today I will be mostly outside, painting fences and decks.

Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

I don't care for them at all. California has gotten lucky the last few times a larger one has hit it has done so in a sparsely populated area.

The one today was the largest since 1999.

Originally Posted by BEVS
Well. My best wishes to all those in that area. I loathe the bluddy things. Can never be blythe about them.

Anyway. Random Stuff.

Today we have winter sunshine.
Today I will be mostly outside, painting fences and decks.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

Yeah stress is the # 1 trigger for me for psoriasis, the higher the stress the worse the outbreak.

I haven't found any solution to the stress yet.
I like massage, which can help relieve my stress, it is very effective for me, but this is an expensive treatment method and may not be within your budget.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by scilly
I have osteoarthritis which has led to degeneration of the spines on several vertebrae at the base of my spine and 3 or 4 more in the lumbar area (just above the waist). That leads to improper muscle attachments to the hips and pelvic girdle, pulling everything out of alignment. The lumbar degeneration means that I can no longer just turn and look behind me, I have to physically change position. Good job that I don't drive!!

I can handle the OA in my knees, hands, etc, but it's pretty hard when the hips act up ......... it actually becomes a bit like that old Jazz song "Dem Bones"! I can definitely tell that the ankle bone is connected to the knee bone, the knee bone is connected to the hip bone, but in reverse!

A couple of finger joints are also showing signs of OA, and I can no longer straighten either thumb out flat and level with my palm. I have no strength in my hands, though I try not to give a "wet fish" handshake. I've also had to give up knitting, which was one of my favourite hobbies.

So far I'm managing the pain with Tylenol, with Tylenol3 as the strongest and on an "as needed" basis, plus regular physio and exercises given me by the physio.

My mother had OA, but her hands were quite distorted. She lived on Codis ........ used to get large boxes of it on prescription from the doctor.

Both sides of my family going back to the grandparents kindly made me liable for heart problems, hence I'm on 3 medications to try to prevent either stroke or heart attack!

I can't blame them for having 2 different types of breast cancer or skin cancer though!
Treatment of osteoarthritis and arthritis is actually not as difficult as you may initially think. Some people rely on drugs to cure osteoarthritis and arthritis. while drugs only can temporarily relieve symptoms, often this does nothing to treat the root cause of the disorder. when people stop taking medication there is a risk that their symptoms will return.

In contrast, natural treatments do not work instantly; in fact, natural treatments are only beneficial with long-term therapy. However, they are safer and effective. Just came across this article from a Google+ group:

NATURAL HEALTH & MEDICINE

This article can guide you through getting to know more about arthritis and how to get rid of osteoarthritis and arthritis, over the past few years, more and more people have been choosing natural remedies methods over modern medicine due to their simplicity and effectiveness.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 10:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I don't care for them at all. California has gotten lucky the last few times a larger one has hit it has done so in a sparsely populated area.

The one today was the largest since 1999.
Ugh! Yes. I just looked it up.
Tremours and aftershocks expected. Double ugh!
Plus on their 4th July thing too.
Old Jul 4th 2019, 11:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cannabis-oil can only help with pain and may stimulate the appetite of cancer patients. But it can't help cure breast cancer, and the concept of Cannabis-oil cure breast cancer is a falsified concept.
You might think that.

I might think that.

But it is not for you or me to say that to anyone else.

It is up to the patient to discuss with medical staff and family.

As a veteran of 2 different breast cancers and 2 separate mastectomies, I know how my body responds, and what I needed at the time, as well as what I need now.

I wouldn't have thanked any non-medical person giving that kind of advice, and certainly not on an internet forum that is not directed to medical matters.

I do truly hope that anyone who decides to go that route has researched the matter thoroughly and is not just avoiding medical treatment or in denial.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.