Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jun 24th 2019, 9:29 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

During an early visit to New Zealand we booked an internal flight from Auckland to Nelson . Waited on the tarmac for a couple of late arrivals who promptly told us we were sitting in their seats. Ums nopes & produced our boarding passes , which had been inspected all the way through and on entering the aircraft . Oops. We were on the wrong plane . It was headed for somewhere else entirely.

No mouse in this house . The cat sees to that. When next door was being demolished though , she did have a habit of bringing the odd one in & introducing us to her new friend.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Buckingham Palace has an infestation of mice on the "lower levels". They have had to call in the exterminators.

The only place we have had mice over here was in the cabin up north. We had to buy a trap, OH baited it with a small piece of bread (no cheese in the place), and set up on the tiles near the wood stove where we'd seen traces. Blighter got the bread off AND move the trap but got off scot-free

The previous owner left a couple of sofas for us to use .......... no thank you!! Mice had burrowed into the seats and made lovely nests in the filling. So out went the furniture!

Then we started to replace panelling so we could insulate ................ turned out there were already old pink batts of insulation in there, riddled with mouse nests. We found one or two nests that had been left, with dead young in them. How on earth did those naked animals survive in a nest made out of fibreglass??????

We used to get field mice in the house in England almost every fall .................... only one or two would come in, and we'd find the traces under the kitchen sink. Dad would deal with them. There some fields close by, and I guess they wanted to get inside for warmth.

We regularly got pack rats in the attic at the cabin, luckily only one at a time. We always knew when one had got in because s/he would start to run around and bounce about right over our heads at night time. They have incredibly heavy feet and make the most tremendous noise. But they are like mice in their ability to get through small places, even though they are 2 to 3 times larger than a true rat ........... OH saw one trying to get down the space between the upper cupboard and the wall in the bathroom one day. Thye are actuallly quite cute looking, with a pink nose .......... but they make one heck of a mess!

We knew one had built a nest up there while the cabin was empty before we bought it, because the guys who cleared the place for the previous owner found a 12' long nest, built mainly out of arctostaphylos (bearberry) ................ the material they took down filled 1½ pickup truck loads to take to the dump. We didn't want that.

We had to resort to putting down poison for over the winter, much as we hated doing it for fear of what could happen if the rat died outside the cabin and was eaten by a predator, 'cos the poison for them is pretty strong.

Last edited by scilly; Jun 24th 2019 at 10:07 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 4:15 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

1971 nationwide sent nicky wood head out to pinch men's bottoms

Old Jun 25th 2019, 8:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

end of the road. But would be nice to live in those apartments with a western facing unit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7464...7i16384!8i8192
Old Jun 25th 2019, 2:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I just threw out the old advent calendar, all the little doors were open and there was no chocolate left, after all. Checked the wall calendar; it says Feb 2019. I can deal with that another time. The sound of plastic advent calendar crackling in the trash made me think there was another mouse, until I realised what it was. I gave one mouse a burial at sea this morning.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:09 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
end of the road. But would be nice to live in those apartments with a western facing unit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7464...7i16384!8i8192
I'd be happy in one of these gaffs
https://www.google.com/maps/@50.1492.../data=!3m1!1e3
Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:55 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
You're both way off. One of these would be nice.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ni...28!4d7.2619532
Old Jun 25th 2019, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I think I went basically past there a few years ago..we took the bus along the coast to Monaco from Nice..beatiful journey to see how the rich and famous play. Ended the day at the AS Monaco vs Lyon game.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:11 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by BristolUK

I grew up in Windlesham, Surrey which is home to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Updown_Court
I'd be happy in the staff house.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...0.644602?hl=en

Old Jun 25th 2019, 7:31 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
I grew up in Windlesham, Surrey which is home to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Updown_Court
I'd be happy in the staff house.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/51...0.644602?hl=en
Rubbish view though.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 9:13 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a 3 disc box set of Dad's Army at Cashopolis for $1.99 today. I already have most of the 18 episodes in this set, but for the price it seems well worth it for better resolution. 2 of the dvd's are already burned using Brasero and the third about to go in right now.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 9:20 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by caretaker
Bought a 3 disc box set of Dad's Army at Cashopolis for $1.99 today. I already have most of the 18 episodes in this set, but for the price it seems well worth it for better resolution. 2 of the dvd's are already burned using Brasero and the third about to go in right now.
Absolutely.

I can't remember if you saw the 2016 movie. I thought they did a great job on it.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 9:26 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker

John Laurie lived in the next village to ours when I was a kid, my dad and he were good mates, as in every Tuesday night, at some 'public house'.

Lovely guy according to my dad, I never got to meet him.
Old Jun 25th 2019, 9:47 pm
Oscar nominated

Bought a Smart TV a couple of weeks ago with a view to experimenting and eventually getting rid of the TV service.

Our triple bundle price goes up in a few months (end of the final, final discount) and for what little is watched, it's not worth it, especially as the footie has disappeared from Sportsnet and TSN.

I could convert it to a double bundle of just phone and internet but they are so clever with the pricing structure that it would only save about $40.
Our bundle currently has Fibe internet speeds up to 150mbps and it's brilliant.

But I noticed they do an internet only of 100mbps (that cannot be bundled) and when we first signed up we had 80mbps. That was brilliant and when they upped it to 100 and then 150 at no extra charge, the 80 was so good we didn't notice an improvement.

So separate services may be the way to go. There's an initial discount (isn't there always) making the fibe internet only price $72.95 and then the regular price @ $99.95. As a current user, the discount isn't available to me but I noticed they also do a 300mbps speed for a regular $87.95. Yes, that's right, the regular price for 300 is cheaper than 100.

I reckon I can take the 300 speed (twice as fast as we have now, but likely not noticeable) and an individual phone service for about $90 less than the triple bundle price will shortly become.

Crazy right? Cut TV from the 3 service bundle, making it a 2 service bundle and save $40 or order 2 separate services (doubling the speed of one) and save $90.

It reminds me of the Greyhound pricing when Montreal to Toronto and Toronto to Niagara Falls was a fair bit cheaper than Montreal to Niagara Falls.
Old Jun 26th 2019, 12:29 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Can I please plug this Youtube channel ( I am in no way affiliated with them)

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=timeghost

they do an excellent series on WW2 in real time as well other interesting History stuff.
They don't get nearly the recognition they deserve and YouTube has demonitised them.

If you like it, then please pass on to others

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.