Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jun 14th 2019, 9:45 pm
  #5941  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 43,078
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Sometimes I talk to the people driving around me in traffic, even though I know they can't hear me. I try to offer suggestions on how they might improve their driving.
I heard every word you said. I lip read.
Rete is online now  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 10:15 pm
  #5942  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,439
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Oink View Post
Do you ever wonder when you get old, you'll have conversations with your breakfast?
I spent most of the week talking to a dog, or just talking out loud in general and I am not old, just gets too quiet and boring otherwise.

Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 10:51 pm
  #5943  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 80,170
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I spent most of the week talking to a dog, or just talking out loud in general and I am not old, just gets too quiet and boring otherwise.
You are not alone there J. I think most dog/cat lovers talk to their furry friends. As for talking to yourself out loud, I do it all the time.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 11:24 pm
  #5944  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,439
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
You are not alone there J. I think most dog/cat lovers talk to their furry friends. As for talking to yourself out loud, I do it all the time.
In person I mean. I am not around other people much during the week, just me and the dog.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 11:49 pm
  #5945  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,881
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

I often talk to myself out loud ................ I make more sense than a lot of people around me (but that doesn't include OH!)
scilly is offline  
Old Jun 14th 2019, 11:58 pm
  #5946  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 10,811
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Bears like meat pies.
https://globalnews.ca/video/5309918/..._campaign=2019
caretaker is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2019, 1:14 am
  #5947  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 80,170
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
In person I mean. I am not around other people much during the week, just me and the dog.
I know what that’s like. My hubby was travelling/working most weeks, only home at weekends.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2019, 4:53 am
  #5948  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,439
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I know what that’s like. My hubby was travelling/working most weeks, only home at weekends.
Can be tough.

I think the dog misses her during the week too, she sleeps 90% of the day away, I take her for walks, and her mission is to get back home as soon as possible, venture too far away and she pulls to go back the direction of home, and who says dogs don't know where they live..lol
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2019, 5:51 pm
  #5949  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,439
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Article brings up some good points. Having rented in various US city's and various city's in Canada, renting in Canada is far more stressful and unstable experience.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5366848/r...anada-germany/
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2019, 6:38 pm
  #5950  
European
 
BuckinghamshireBoy's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2016
Location: Brasschaat, Vlaanderen.
Posts: 3,295
BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Article brings up some good points. Having rented in various US city's and various city's in Canada, renting in Canada is far more stressful and unstable experience.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5366848/r...anada-germany/
That's a very interesting read (I'll need a few more goes at it to take it all in), thanks Js for posting this.

I find the whole rent vs buy intriguing when comparing 'norms', 'mind sets' and obviously relative costs across various (relevant) countries. I don't see Switzerland on the Home Ownership rates graphic, I'll have a hunt for where they rank, but at a guess I would say closer to Germany than Canada.

Edit: Found it, wow!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ownership_rate

Last edited by BuckinghamshireBoy; Jun 15th 2019 at 6:42 pm. Reason: Incomplete research, duh...
BuckinghamshireBoy is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2019, 7:21 pm
  #5951  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,439
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Surprised in a way to the countries that make the top of the list. We are lucky now that we found a dedicated rental owned by the developer as part of a city program to increase dedicated rentals, so more stability vs renting from an investor landlord who may only own 1 unit.

We are fortunate to be paying 2017 level rent still, currently 1 bedroom in this building through the developer units is $1,975 privately owned units are closer to $2,300 a month.


Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy View Post
That's a very interesting read (I'll need a few more goes at it to take it all in), thanks Js for posting this.

I find the whole rent vs buy intriguing when comparing 'norms', 'mind sets' and obviously relative costs across various (relevant) countries. I don't see Switzerland on the Home Ownership rates graphic, I'll have a hunt for where they rank, but at a guess I would say closer to Germany than Canada.

Edit: Found it, wow!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ownership_rate
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 15th 2019, 10:06 pm
  #5952  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 2,881
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

I stayed in Canada in 1992/3 while OH and daughter went to NZ for 11 months ...... he was on sabbatical and she on a gap year. I joined them for December and January, but I was alone from end of September to end November, and from beginning February to end of July. Daughter and I were alone together in September as OH had to go to Indonesia on business.

I was working 4 days a week, had things to do on Friday, and made sure I went out during the day on Saturday. Friends came to stay on 3 Saturday nights during that total period, and we went to the Vancouver Opera together.

I kept myself busy in the evenings and from Friday to Sunday evening ......... I read a lot, went for walks if I felt like it (I did a lot of walking on the days I worked!), cooked up a storm on Sunday so that I had meals in the fridge and freezer for during the week, did quite a bit of dressmaking, didn't watch much TV except for the news ..... and usually cleaned one room a day!

No internet, so main contact was by letter and the occasional phone call ............. as it had been for OH and I in the 5 months in 1967 after we got engaged and he had to leave the UK while I had to finish my contract teaching. That time, he returned to England 10 days before our wedding date, to help in final arrangements and to move my stuff from my home to his for the packers to eventually pick up.

I quite honestly never found myself feeling lonely, nor did I talk to myself any more than normal ......... which in those days was usually a swear word and muttering when something went wrong!

We survived, our marriage was strong, and daughter discovered a lot about what she wanted to do with herself in the future by having time to really think about it ...... she changed her university entrance from the Science Faculty to Arts Faculty, for one thing!
scilly is offline  
Old Jun 16th 2019, 4:21 am
  #5953  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,439
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Work can certainly alleviate loneliness even if your not best friends with co-workers simply being around other people can help.

It was easier when I was working, people to talk to and work itself was semi-enjoyable so it was something decent to occupy time.

I do go for walks with the dog, it's just East Vancouver isn't the well nicest area of the city and its very busy, noisy so not very pleasant walks.

Too bad there is no time machine, would go back and tell my young self not to have so many dreams, would have made adult life easier.



Originally Posted by scilly View Post
I stayed in Canada in 1992/3 while OH and daughter went to NZ for 11 months ...... he was on sabbatical and she on a gap year. I joined them for December and January, but I was alone from end of September to end November, and from beginning February to end of July. Daughter and I were alone together in September as OH had to go to Indonesia on business.

I was working 4 days a week, had things to do on Friday, and made sure I went out during the day on Saturday. Friends came to stay on 3 Saturday nights during that total period, and we went to the Vancouver Opera together.

I kept myself busy in the evenings and from Friday to Sunday evening ......... I read a lot, went for walks if I felt like it (I did a lot of walking on the days I worked!), cooked up a storm on Sunday so that I had meals in the fridge and freezer for during the week, did quite a bit of dressmaking, didn't watch much TV except for the news ..... and usually cleaned one room a day!

No internet, so main contact was by letter and the occasional phone call ............. as it had been for OH and I in the 5 months in 1967 after we got engaged and he had to leave the UK while I had to finish my contract teaching. That time, he returned to England 10 days before our wedding date, to help in final arrangements and to move my stuff from my home to his for the packers to eventually pick up.

I quite honestly never found myself feeling lonely, nor did I talk to myself any more than normal ......... which in those days was usually a swear word and muttering when something went wrong!

We survived, our marriage was strong, and daughter discovered a lot about what she wanted to do with herself in the future by having time to really think about it ...... she changed her university entrance from the Science Faculty to Arts Faculty, for one thing!

Last edited by Jsmth321; Jun 16th 2019 at 5:26 am.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2019, 6:46 am
  #5954  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 19,439
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Article about Ocean Fall's BC. Would be a neat little place to visit, they seem to get visitors and even have a small hotel next to an abandoned 400 room hotel which was at one time 2nd biggest in BC.

"Calling it a town is a bit of a misnomer. There's no mayor, there's little government representation, but it wasn't always that way. Ocean Falls was once a much bigger deal.

What was once a town of about 3,000 people is now home to about 25."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ipWH3ku9uKqOoQ
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Jun 17th 2019, 5:36 pm
  #5955  
MODERATOR
 
Siouxie's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: SW Ontario
Posts: 16,729
Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

https://realestate.mitula.ca/houses-ocean-falls

Ocean Falls real estate -
Siouxie is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.