Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > The Maple Leaf
Reload this Page >

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Random stuff - the anything else thread

Old Jun 23rd 2019, 4:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random stuff - the anything else thread

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No, that wouldn't be worse at least not for me! Being of a somewhat hysterical mindset when it comes to Things Going Wrong With Planes, I'd have probably woken up and thought the plane had crashed and I was trapped at the bottom of the ocean. In the dark. All alone. *shudder*
And a mouse for company.

Old Jun 23rd 2019, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

A comment on reddit about high rent costs in Winnipeg amused me, someone posted how a decent apartment would run $1,200 a month, then another posted saying their rent is insane for their 3bed 2 bath house at $1,800 a month, these folks have obviously never lived in Vancouver....lol

Last I looked both Winnipeg and Edmonton had higher or close to same median income as Vancouver does.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 23rd 2019 at 6:36 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 6:56 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Could be worse. The plane may have left for somewhere else.

Who are you? You weren't sitting next to me when I nodded off. And what's that desert/canyon/sea doing down there?
I was sitting next to an unknown man once who after half an hour in the sky and all of the “Captain Smith and his team” announcements said to me “ is this plane flying South”? I don’t know one pole from another, but said “We are going to Morocco”. He got in a terrible tizzy, he wanted to go to Rome, how the hell he had gone through all the desks and announcements without realizing I will never know...it didn’t say much about security either...it was post 9/11.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 9:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

I was sitting next to an unknown man once who after half an hour in the sky and all of the “Captain Smith and his team” announcements said to me “ is this plane flying South”? I don’t know one pole from another, but said “We are going to Morocco”. He got in a terrible tizzy, he wanted to go to Rome, how the hell he had gone through all the desks and announcements without realizing I will never know...it didn’t say much about security either...it was post 9/11.
Easyjet or another 'no allocated seat, sit where you want' plane?
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 10:17 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

Easyjet or another 'no allocated seat, sit where you want' plane?
I had a similar a few years back, boarded, sat in my allotted seat, on a scheduled flight with a reputable airline.

Man (large) approaches and says "I think you're in my seat", I quadruple checked my boarding pass and replied "I think not, baby puppy" showing my boarding pass.

Your man looks at my boarding pass and says "Fine, 'cept that this plane goes to Zurich, not Geneva".

Two flights departing 5 minutes apart, (both running late) adjoining departure gates, I ended up boarding the wrong one...

Spoiler:
London Gatwick, British Airways.
Old Jun 23rd 2019, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Heard some yelling outside someone was standing in front a bus and wouldn't let the bus go, went on long enough for 5 other buses to get backed up and not able to move. They are trolley buses and cannot pass one another so if one gets delayed, they tend to bunch up so now there are 5 buses on the same route following each other in a group. (pass in the sense a non-trolley bus can, a trolley bus can pass another, but requires the bus to be disconnected from the wires, pass, then connected back to the wires, so in actual practice day to day operations they don't pass one another.)

Crazy neighborhood, never know whats gonna happen day to day.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jun 23rd 2019 at 10:36 pm.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 3:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm up quite late tonight, have been doing some cooking. I've just sat down for a cuppa before bed, and a mouse has appeared out of nowhere and is now hiding behind the sideboard

I have to walk past the sideboard to get to the bedroom, so it looks like I'll be sleeping in this chair tonight.
Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
Go easy with the mushrooms...
And a mouse for company.
I find this lack of compassion for my mouse phobia quite disturbing

After throwing magazines at the spot where I last saw the bloody thing, with no result, I finally worked up the courage to dash to the bedroom. Just in case Scouse was awake I lay there muttering about a moose being loose in the hoose. Which woke him up

He got up, as I knew he would. I lay in bed laughing for the next five minutes, couldn't help it because every light in the place was switched on and there was much banging, thumping and crashing. I thought he'd found the mouse and was chasing it, but when he came back to bed he said he was just moving furniture looking for it

He fixed the problem today, there is a small gap either side of our garage door where they can get in, and some sort of automatic locking strip at the bottom on the internal door from garage to house wasn't engaging. No more gaps, no more mice, hopefully.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 3:08 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I have a mouse in the house, and have set out a couple of traps.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 3:51 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
I tried one of those sticky mouse traps and the little bastard got away. In the end I bought a good old fashioned snap trap and that snapped his neck good and proper.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 4:18 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry spouse of scouse, wasn't aware that it was a phobia, my bad.

Originally Posted by caretaker
Originally Posted by Danny B
I tried one of those sticky mouse traps and the little bastard got away. In the end I bought a good old fashioned snap trap and that snapped his neck good and proper.
We use cage traps, have found them to be quite effective. Probably wouldn't need them at all if the cats would simply shape up and not bring the bloody things indoors anyway. Anyone who suggests that cats keep rodents out is prime material to become the next UK PM. I lost two (count them, two) packets of cheese and onion crisps last week.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 4:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

After throwing magazines at the spot where I last saw the bloody thing, with no result, I finally worked up the courage to dash to the bedroom. Just in case Scouse was awake I lay there muttering about a moose being loose in the hoose. Which woke him up

He got up, as I knew he would. I lay in bed laughing for the next five minutes, couldn't help it because every light in the place was switched on and there was much banging, thumping and crashing. I thought he'd found the mouse and was chasing it, but when he came back to bed he said he was just moving furniture looking for it

He fixed the problem today, there is a small gap either side of our garage door where they can get in, and some sort of automatic locking strip at the bottom on the internal door from garage to house wasn't engaging. No more gaps, no more mice, hopefully.
Unless it was preggers

Did you know mice can get through a gap as small as 1/4 inch.. so get the sealing gun out! A house I lived in a few years ago was riddled with the things.. despite snap traps, cage traps... and even poison / sticky traps (which I hate - why make them suffer...) the little sods wouldn't be got rid of.. the sad thing was some were obviously escaped domesticated mice as they were multi coloured, not a wild mouse colour.

I like mice, but not what they drop or the diseases they carry
Old Jun 24th 2019, 5:08 pm
Oscar nominated

Anyone who suggests that cats keep rodents out is prime material to become the next UK PM.
I already lived at Number 10. The only time there were mice at my parents' house was between cats. Perhaps the mice saw one 'leave' and visited before the next one arrived.
I lost two (count them, two) packets of cheese and onion crisps last week.
Are you saying a mouse took them? Or you used them for bait?
Peanut butter works.
Old Jun 24th 2019, 5:19 pm
Gloves off

Are you saying a mouse took them? Or you used them for bait? Peanut butter works.
Not for bait - they were Walkers after all, somehow said mouse gained entry to the crisp drawer, I found a packet suspiciously gnawed. Cleaned it all, left it a couple of days, restocked, same again. OH placed the trap, caught the blighter, his case comes up next month...
Old Jun 24th 2019, 5:44 pm
Oscar nominated

...OH placed the trap, caught the blighter, his case comes up next month...
Does he need a lawyer? I recommend dismissal on the grounds of entrapment.

Old Jun 24th 2019, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Unless it was preggers

Did you know mice can get through a gap as small as 1/4 inch.. so get the sealing gun out! A house I lived in a few years ago was riddled with the things.. despite snap traps, cage traps... and even poison / sticky traps (which I hate - why make them suffer...) the little sods wouldn't be got rid of.. the sad thing was some were obviously escaped domesticated mice as they were multi coloured, not a wild mouse colour.

I like mice, but not what they drop or the diseases they carry
We had an infestation a few years ago and one popped its head out of the toaster on the kitchen counter. We sealed off the places there were getting in and trapped 3 or 4 that were still in the house. They were in the area above the ceiling tiles in the basement and were going through the house through ducts etc. After we got rid of them (3 years now and no mouse dropping etc or clues they are back), the neighbours seemed to get them. They got into their rice in the basement.

Our food loss was granola bars and cookies in the basement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.