Phone-Internet-TV

Old Aug 6th 2016, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone-Internet-TV

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Dont forget Data Stash (if you don't use it all, it carries over); #GoGo free wifi on flights for an hour; #MusicStreaming; #BingeOn; unlimited Pokemon data for a year curtesy of #TMobileTuesdays (they got free tickets to SuicideSquad this week!) They are #MagentaAwesome! Uncarrier Services | Uncarrier Offerings w/ No Contracts | T-Mobile

Sigh... If only they didn't place any restrictions on their service (they shut it off after a period of time using it abroad without connecting to T-Mo towers) I would hop across the border and sign up.

Old Aug 7th 2016, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
The breakdown for our cells is as follows. I got this plan by speaking to Customer Relations after pressing the "cancel" options in the phone system.

WIRELESS
Share Everything 15GB Canada wide
-includes Canada wide minutes, unlimited texting, 15Gb of data, the free Spotify for 2yrs and ROAM LIKE HOME.
Main/primary line (Subsidised iPhone 6s+) $145.00/month
Secondary line (Subsidised Galaxy S7) $60.00/month
Tertiary line (Subsidised iPhone 6s) $60.00/month
Fourth line (No tab unlocked iPhone 6) $45.00/month
Line 5 + 6 (Tablets) $10.00/month x2 = $20.00/month
+
iPhone Value Pack x 3 (Visual Voicemail+unl int’l txt) $15.00
- $23.00 ongoing monthly credit (2yrs)
- 12% Better Choice Bundle Discount
Total for Wireless = $283.36/month + HST 13.00% = $320.20/month

We also got a decent bundle for Internet/TV/Home phone. All three have pretty much every feature possible and they add up to $306.81/month after tax for Extra Plus cable with the full sports package, home phone with unlimited north america calling plus 500 mins to popular international destinations, and the new super speedy gigabit internet package with unlimited usage.

We could save ~$50 by sticking to the 250Mbps plan but the high upload speed is useful as I run a number of services from our home that I connect into while i'm out, and we have about 15 devices from the phones, ipads, game consoles and computers running at any given moment, so the extra bandwidth is useful as well.

Cheers
Wow..I thought our cell plans were expensive but I think you top us. We are in Ottawa on Robbers

We have 4 'smart' phones on the plan. 3 are IPhones (a '6', a '4s' and '5c') and a Samsung Galaxy 3

All have unlimited canada wide calling, voice mail, unlimited texting, caller ID. One of them, the '6' gets visual voice mail (Iphone value pack) and lower cost calling to USA and overseas. I know that the UK and France are $0.10 a minute which in a pinch is OK without having to use calling cards. As well, the '6' gets 100 international texts/month.

Costs..galaxy 3 = $35.20 + HST
6 (primary line and a full work deduction ) = $79.80 + HST
5 = $48.40 + HST
4S = $35.20 + HST

The '5' will be the same price as the 4S in a month when it becomes a bring your own device plan. The 6 will go down by about $15/month in about a year when it is a bring your own device plan

Cable..most channels in HD, no movie network as we have Netflix. Lots of sports, time shifting etc and a PVR = $56.98 + HST

Home Phone..only to get discounts and to have fun with telemarketers. $19.99 + HST. It has North American LD, caller ID, VM

Internet = rogers ignite 100u with Shomi (never really used it), unlimited downloading = $69.99 + HST

Daughter going to france bought a new Iphone from the Apple store that will work in france and that line is being cancelled in a few weeks. She'll get a line in France. Virgin has one for 20 euros a month that does more than her line here and can text to Canada and I think has limited calling. Skype will do the rest.
Old Aug 7th 2016, 1:40 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

@PD
If she has a iPhone then set up FaceTime before she leaves it's the best Apple feature for long distance family calls, all she needs is a wifi hot spot
Old Aug 7th 2016, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
@PD
If she has a iPhone then set up FaceTime before she leaves it's the best Apple feature for long distance family calls, all she needs is a wifi hot spot
Yep..she has an Iphone and so do I and so does her brother. My wife is the Samsung holdout. Either Skype or Facetime is what we will use. Where she will be living in France she has wifi.

Is there an android equivalent to Facetime? I'm meaning something phone specific.?
Old Aug 30th 2016, 4:52 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

I'm revisiting my post below from December 2015 with the internet service before the current deal I have expires.

Seems Bell screwed me over by shorting the time period of the promo (notified in an email), due to end beginning November

So, on the phone, flip flopping around to the 'cancellation' rep & supervisor.

30 minutes, back & forth.... this, that & the other, with the 'yes, but you know, its not available any more & the $49.99 deal that you see on the internet is for students only'

WTF, here I am a Bell customer. The best offer is the fibre internet to the home service at $53.95/mth +tax ongoing price not time limited. Its the same service as I currently have, fibre to the home (fibre box on the wall in the basement) 25/10 (actual 20/20) 500GB (I think its only 300GB) modem included

Since I do zero downloading, no longer do any streaming TV .

Is this a good deal?

Do I cancel & go with the library internet for BE , googling & emails?

Other suggestions please

Originally Posted by not2old
originally posted Dec 7, 2015

Its been a year since Bell gave me free internet for 12 months, which expired today.

Over the past year year I have had a few up & down experiences with the service, several calls to tech support on the slow down/up speeds that fluctuated considerably, remotely trying to fix it - it never got beyond 20 mbps downloading/5mbps up.

This past September a Bell rep was going door-door, said we qualified for free 'fibre to the home' from the pole. A call to Bell, their response was since we had free service it wasn't available.

Today was the day for having to pay for the service - it was negotiation time.

What I ended up with was 12 months $39.95/mth - 25/10 with 500GB (which I will never use) . The technician is coming this Wednesday to lay the fibre from the pole to the house along with an upgraded modem.

Best I could do - did I get a good deal?

Last edited by not2old; Aug 30th 2016 at 4:59 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 5:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
@PD
If she has a iPhone then set up FaceTime before she leaves it's the best Apple feature for long distance family calls...
FaceTime exists? You mean it's not some fictional name used so as not to infringe any rights regarding use of a real name?
Old Aug 30th 2016, 6:51 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm revisiting my post below from December 2015 with the internet service before the current deal I have expires.

Seems Bell screwed me over by shorting the time period of the promo (notified in an email), due to end beginning November

So, on the phone, flip flopping around to the 'cancellation' rep & supervisor.

30 minutes, back & forth.... this, that & the other, with the 'yes, but you know, its not available any more & the $49.99 deal that you see on the internet is for students only'

WTF, here I am a Bell customer. The best offer is the fibre internet to the home service at $53.95/mth +tax ongoing price not time limited. Its the same service as I currently have, fibre to the home (fibre box on the wall in the basement) 25/10 (actual 20/20) 500GB (I think its only 300GB) modem included

Since I do zero downloading, no longer do any streaming TV .

Is this a good deal?

Do I cancel & go with the library internet for BE , googling & emails?

Other suggestions please
If you don't do any downloading or streaming, then that internet package is complete overkill.

You don't need anything that fast just for text, basically. I just had a look at TekSavvy's DSL plans - https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl (Cheaper than cable or fibre), I used my postal code just ot get an idea, so your results might vary slightly, but the attached screenshot is their plans. If yuo are only doing BE, Google, and email, then just get the DSL7 package for $30/month. It includes 150GB of data, which is absolutely enough for your needs. https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/...gh-speed-dsl-7
Attached Thumbnails Phone-Internet-TV-plans.png  
Old Aug 30th 2016, 6:58 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
If you don't do any downloading or streaming, then that internet package is complete overkill.

You don't need anything that fast just for text, basically. I just had a look at TekSavvy's DSL plans -

https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl (Cheaper than cable or fibre),

you are only doing BE, Google, and email, then just get the DSL7 package for $30/month. It includes 150GB of data, which is absolutely enough for your needs.
thanks for that, although its not super fast, there is also the extra costs with teksavvy of activation fee, dry loop, modem etc.

That is good info though. It gives me something to work with
Old Aug 30th 2016, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Yep..she has an Iphone and so do I and so does her brother. My wife is the Samsung holdout. Either Skype or Facetime is what we will use. Where she will be living in France she has wifi.

Is there an android equivalent to Facetime? I'm meaning something phone specific.?
Yes. Its actually cross platform (Android and iOS) and google just came out with it. Its called Duo. Very similar function to FaceTime and simple.

You don't need anything that fast just for text, basically. I just had a look at TekSavvy's DSL plans - https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/dsl (Cheaper than cable or fibre), I used my postal code just ot get an idea, so your results might vary slightly, but the attached screenshot is their plans. If yuo are only doing BE, Google, and email, then just get the DSL7 package for $30/month. It includes 150GB of data, which is absolutely enough for your needs. https://teksavvy.com/en/residential/...gh-speed-dsl-7
+1 to this. I posted something similar in the other thread but $40 for 15mbps service and 300gb bandwidth with Start.ca. Which one would come out ahead depends on how much the modem / router costs from Start vs Tek.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:01 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. Its actually cross platform (Android and iOS) and google just came out with it. Its called Duo. Very similar function to FaceTime and simple.
Was just about to post that. I've been using it with my parents, it's great. Way better than video chat on Hangouts.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Was just about to post that. I've been using it with my parents, it's great. Way better than video chat on Hangouts.
Awesome... Is it like FaceTime in quality would you say? Because if so I can remove all dependency on iOS for communication and use Duo and Viber to communicate with family abroad.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:05 pm
Concierge

Awesome... Is it like FaceTime in quality would you say? Because if so I can remove all dependency on iOS for communication and use Duo and Viber to communicate with family abroad.
For me, yes. It's great. Super quick, super easy, and really good quality. My parents have craptastic internet at home and the quality was still phenomenal. Good speed on data as well and not a data hog (wel, as much as video can be).
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

For me, yes. It's great. Super quick, super easy, and really good quality. My parents have craptastic internet at home and the quality was still phenomenal. Good speed on data as well and not a data hog (wel, as much as video can be).
Brilliant...

Kicking myself now for not downloading it on nanna's phone before I left.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:10 pm
Concierge

thanks for that, although its not super fast, there is also the extra costs with teksavvy of activation fee, dry loop, modem etc.

That is good info though. It gives me something to work with
Yes, forgot about the $5 dry loop. Yes you have to buy the modem up front but you'd have to rent it from someone else anyway... depending how long you'll be with them, they are cheaper in the long run.

The other option you could do is get a cell phone plan with a decent data limit and then just tether when you want internet at home. My brother is doing that right now. He has a 2GB plan on his phone, and he just tethers when required for browsing and email. When he needs to do anything 'heavier' he just goes to the local coffee shop and uses their wifi. He's with Koodo.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 7:24 pm
Dichotomus tinker

The other option you could do is get a cell phone plan with a decent data limit and then just tether when you want internet at home. My brother is doing that right now. He has a 2GB plan on his phone, and he just tethers when required for browsing and email. When he needs to do anything 'heavier' he just goes to the local coffee shop and uses their wifi. He's with Koodo.
now it gets interesting.... appreciate this

On the phone, do I need to buy a special phone (another up front cost OMG)?

I see on phone service providers, Koodo, Chatr & Public mobile that an added plan with 2GB - 4GB is going to cost approx $50/mth + tax of course

Being the thrifty person that I am, I'm all for best bang for the buck & appreciate all the help from BE'ers on this technology maze

At present I have a basic basic flip phone just over one year old, that we use for talk only. I'm on a province wide unlimited talk plan with public mobile $19.95/mth + tax (no extra charges for anything) total cost $21.47

I see that I can get data added, but do I need some kind of better phone device with windows or smart phone - if so, what do I need & what is the lowest cost of such a device that would allow me to 'thether'?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.