Phone-Internet-TV

Old May 11th 2015, 5:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Phone-Internet-TV

Currently our phone and internet bill is around $124. This includes fibreop internet which we are very happy with. Land line phone with no frills, no cells.

TV package is $52, so $178 all in.

Personally I could probably do without the TV but doing without is not so practical.

Just Internet only would be around $90 so I doubt there's any phone savings to be made on $34.

BellAliant is advertising phone/internet/TV for $100 monthly for a year and then $150 a month thereafter.

That $150 would be $169 after tax so a saving of nearly $10 monthly as well as the $65 a month for the first year.

But, significantly, it gives back all but one of the channels we lost in getting the TV cost halved to $52.

Any downsides in packaging up this way and having fibreop TV?
Old May 11th 2015, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone-Internet-TV

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Currently our phone and internet bill is around $124. This includes fibreop internet which we are very happy with. Land line phone with no frills, no cells.

TV package is $52, so $178 all in.

Personally I could probably do without the TV but doing without is not so practical.

Just Internet only would be around $90 so I doubt there's any phone savings to be made on $34.

BellAliant is advertising phone/internet/TV for $100 monthly for a year and then $150 a month thereafter.

That $150 would be $169 after tax so a saving of nearly $10 monthly as well as the $65 a month for the first year.

But, significantly, it gives back all but one of the channels we lost in getting the TV cost halved to $52.

Any downsides in packaging up this way and having fibreop TV?
By packing all with one provider you lose a lot of your negotiating tactics when trying to secure better deals in the future as, in your case, Bell see that you have all services with one company and are not that likely to switch all services. If you keep the services separate then the individual companies may be more willing to cut you a deal if you go from 1 service with them to 2.

If it was up to me, I'd cut out the home line and just go with a cell and probably either cut the cord or significantly reduce the number of channels. Any cable packages w/o TLC would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 11th 2015, 6:08 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We have bundled with Telus and it has worked with no problems. Dropped TV last year and have not missed it. News on the computer and a netflix sub is all we need.
Old May 11th 2015, 6:27 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
By packing all with one provider you lose a lot of your negotiating tactics when trying to secure better deals in the future as, in your case, Bell see that you have all services with one company and are not that likely to switch all services. If you keep the services separate then the individual companies may be more willing to cut you a deal if you go from 1 service with them to 2.
Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to add anything to the TV only deal so the only 1 to 2 sort of thing would be the 2 to 3 mentioned.

If it was up to me, I'd cut out the home line and just go with a cell
For less than $34?

Something else I didn't mention yet...all our TVs are SD and all work perfectly fine with the current service. Is there an issue with HD only TV via internet for SD TVs?
Old May 11th 2015, 6:33 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Aviator
We have bundled with Telus and it has worked with no problems. Dropped TV last year and have not missed it. News on the computer and a netflix sub is all we need.
I have netflix and almost all my viewing is on my laptop from iPlayers, streaming and downloading for later.

However, I do watch a fair amount of football (that's proper football ) and while streams are much better than they used to be the picture quality isn't always what you'd like, not to mention all the pauses, jerky action, sound out of sync etc

Until that's resolved, TV is a bit of a must.
Old May 11th 2015, 7:04 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, a suggestion since you have Bell internet & Bell TV, is to drop the Bell phone line & go with a VOIP such as ooma phone, keeping the same number. This may save you $20/mth from the current bundle. Buy the ooma phone in November on a black friday deal.

Free Home Phone Service | Ooma – Ranked # 1 Internet Home Phone Service

The OTA is non-existent in your town , so its a no go there

TV Fool

Get rid of the cell phone, or replace the landline with a basic [best deal] cell phone package.

A suggestion with Bell (this what I did last year & it worked for me) is to call & speak to a rep, reference the 'bundle deal' code you received in the mail to see if they can do anything for you in terms of a lower price or bandwidth increase or speed for a lower price.

You don't accept anything they offer the first time. You call back again 2 weeks later & repeat the first Q&A. Again, 'thanks but its not good enough', You say 'I need to look at what alternatives there are' and since you've been a loyal Bell customer forever you'd expect some loyalty reductions.

Since Bell log the calls as well as what you're inquiring about, on the third call 2wks after the second call, the same conversation, use the bundle code - then ask for 'customer loyalty' [these are the folks further up the chain that can do the deal you want]

It was another BE member that put me onto this approach
Old May 11th 2015, 7:34 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Go VOIP -> Callcentric's about as good as you'll get in NA
Go free to air for TV (it's almost out of date anyway)

Buy as much broadband band width as you think you need

Think Skype !
Think whatsapp !
Old May 11th 2015, 7:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, a suggestion since you have Bell internet & Bell TV, is to drop the Bell phone line & go with a VOIP such as ooma phone, keeping the same number. This may save you $20/mth from the current bundle. Buy the ooma phone in November on a black friday deal.

Free Home Phone Service | Ooma – Ranked # 1 Internet Home Phone Service

The OTA is non-existent in your town , so its a no go there

TV Fool

Get rid of the cell phone, or replace the landline with a basic [best deal] cell phone package.

A suggestion with Bell (this what I did last year & it worked for me) is to call & speak to a rep, reference the 'bundle deal' code you received in the mail to see if they can do anything for you in terms of a lower price or bandwidth increase or speed for a lower price.

You don't accept anything they offer the first time. You call back again 2 weeks later & repeat the first Q&A. Again, 'thanks but its not good enough', You say 'I need to look at what alternatives there are' and since you've been a loyal Bell customer forever you'd expect some loyalty reductions.

Since Bell log the calls as well as what you're inquiring about, on the third call 2wks after the second call, the same conversation, use the bundle code - then ask for 'customer loyalty' [these are the folks further up the chain that can do the deal you want]

It was another BE member that put me onto this approach
You are as persistent as me. In March I amended my plan on cable TV and it was to take effect in the 1st week of April. Last week I got my bill and the changes had not been done. After 45 minutes on the phone, I finally got what I should have had the month before and I then asked for some monetary compensation for my time to fix a problem they (Rogers) created. The rep asked me how much I was thinking of, I told them what my billable rate was and suggested 3/4 of an hours worth of that. They didn't bite but were willing to suggest a $50 refund which I accepted. Unfortunately, they then double checked and saw I had been given a $40 refund in February for advice I had been given by 2 agents on the phone about my TV signal (which caused me to switch my PVR) and they weren't willing to give me $50. We settled on $25.

Personally, Rogers and Bell are both evil companies that use every trick in the book to siphon money out of the customers.

I told the rep that I have more trouble with my monthly Rogers bill than I do with my Enbridge Bill which has per m3 of gas rates changing all of the time. His response: Heat/natural gas is a necessity and you can't switch providers..Rogers is a luxury and there are other providers.

Lesson learned in all of this....spread things out amongst the companies.

Q..has Ooma worked well for you. I'm considering it if the # can stay the same and there aren't problems in porting the #.
Old May 11th 2015, 7:41 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by not2old
OP, a suggestion since you have Bell internet & Bell TV...
BellAliant is the Phone and Internet.
TV is ShawDirect.
A suggestion with Bell (this what I did last year & it worked for me) is to call & speak to a rep, reference the 'bundle deal' code you received in the mail to see if they can do anything for you in terms of a lower price or bandwidth increase or speed for a lower price...It was another BE member that put me onto this approach
Yes, I remember. But since I'm paying (pre-tax) $111 for Internet/Phone I can't imagine them offering better than reducing that to $100 as well as adding TV.

Maybe in a year when they'd want to revert to the standard $150 you might have some leeway but "threatening" to cut back to Internet/Phone @ $111 doesn't sound like it would carry much weight.

Any idea on the HD internet aspect when the TV is only SD?
Old May 11th 2015, 7:54 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Go VOIP -> Callcentric's about as good as you'll get in NA
Looking at that.
Go free to air for TV (it's almost out of date anyway)
Not an option here.

Buy as much broadband band width as you think you need
Couldn't be happier with our internet.
Old May 11th 2015, 8:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Lesson learned in all of this....spread things out amongst the companies.
agree with you & if one has a bit of time & patience, you can actually wear the buggers down & get the deal - sometimes it does take several calls spread out over a few weeks

On Bell, I have 25/10 & which they gave me one year no charge just for being a nice scrupulous sweet nasty persistent customer. Modem is included no extra cost, unlike Rogers

Another BE member managed 25/10 unlimited at the 100GB price

Q..has Ooma worked well for you. I'm considering it if the # can stay the same and there aren't problems in porting the #.
yes to the prorting as well as you can get your own number.

I am going to check it out on a trip to the UK later this year with my local Canadian number as the call into & call out from (everything is local) no matter where you are.

Just imagine using the ooma phone in the UK, OZ, NZ or wherever & someone calls you from Canada. Its a local call

You can keep the same landline number that you have today, or pick a local number for your ooma, I am advised even a US area code number.

For the ooma number, I chose the last 7 digits of my wifes cell phone number replacing the prefixed 416(Toronto area code) with 905, so the last 7 digits are the same as the cell numbers last seven

Check out the reviews & blog for ooma

On the cell, what a deal I got there. In December after 15 years I dropped Rogers cell which I previously had a super super deal on that they said 'no more of that' & went with Public mobile (owned by Telus) the plan is toll free Ontario with call display & voice mail, no contract $19/mth + tax. I don't have texting.

For TV: I am OTA with 30+ solid channels + amazon firestick.... cut the cable
Old May 11th 2015, 8:17 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Personally, Rogers and Bell are both evil companies that use every trick in the book to siphon money out of the customers.
Partially Dicharged you just summed them up to a T. They both dreadful....they know that there is sod all competition in this part and milk it for all it's worth.
Old May 11th 2015, 8:28 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by MillieF
Partially Dicharged you just summed them up to a T. They both dreadful....they know that there is sod all competition in this part and milk it for all it's worth.
of the two, the better one to squeeze & they become more customer oriented is Bell because folks have more phone & internet service provider options than they do with Rogers or Shaw in the west which have been primary cable operators

I would say that Rogers go straight by the book (our terms or screw you because we're the only game in town) & have such a high CSR turnover

With Bell is persistence & perseverance
Old May 11th 2015, 11:36 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

We pay $200ish for Bell Fibreop internet (80/30' unlimited)' TV and phone. I keep meaning to drop the tv because we hardly use it and can get most of what we want through Netflix and the web. I'm also tempted by the Rogers $99 deal but I've had Rogers before and they sucked. Bell Aliants Fibreop internet is just too darn good to give up.
Old May 12th 2015, 12:34 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Bell Aliants Fibreop internet is just too darn good to give up.
That it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.