Phone-Internet-TV

Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Phone-Internet-TV

Just cancelled my service as I'm moving back to Vancouver tomorrow but I had a special offer from telus at $30/month for 150g (not sure of the speed and rarely went above 40g of usage), pretty affordable.

Haven't had cable & phone since 2013 and haven't missed it much, Netflix and various online sites have covered any tv watching.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:01 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I don't think we have fiber optic, no idea if Shaw does it or not, haven't seen anything anyhow in this area if they do have it.

We have normal Shaw, Telus is the alternative as far as the big companies go, but Telus doesn't want new customers so we stick with Shaw.
Telus takes new customers and has some good incentives to switch. I found shaw did not want to retain customers, so we switched to Telus.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheAwesomeMatt
I had a special offer from telus at $30/month for 150g (not sure of the speed and rarely went above 40g of usage), pretty affordable.
You read the bit about being for 6 months, then goes up to $58 a month?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
You read the bit about being for 6 months, then goes up to $58 a month?
Yea, but I cancelled before that came into effect. I try to be as sneaky as possible to get the best deal, I managed to wrangle 2 months of free service from telus last year for my phone, which I was pretty happy with.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Telus takes new customers and has some good incentives to switch. I found shaw did not want to retain customers, so we switched to Telus.
I know they do, they just make it difficult to use them for service, and their incentives have so many exceptions they are of no use to some, and they wan't a high deposit and won't say why they want it.

Was really only considering switching because it was a bit cheaper, and a TV was being offered as well as 2 passes to the gondola.

But since they made it difficult to even talk to a human, and then more difficult to receive service, and then the deposit they wanted which meant your not longer eligible for the promotions, they were not worth it.

A company that want's business doesn't make it difficult for the potential customer, and hence why I said they don't want new customers.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 11:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...incentives have so many exceptions they are of no use to some
I guess times change so it's always worth checking to see if they have.

I always disregarded the discount for three months or whatever, paying more attention to the regular price but when it's three years that's a real surprise. No tie in either.

Not only that I'm so used to special offers being for new customers but I qualified even though I was simply adding a service to two others.

Back in the 90s mortgage lenders in the UK were falling over themselves to encourage new borrorers with discounted interest rates and/or 'cashback' but they weren't doing it to encourage their own customers to stay.

I transferred my small mortgage, paid the early redemption penalty and used some of the money I made to buy my computer.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 12:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I guess times change so it's always worth checking to see if they have.

I always disregarded the discount for three months or whatever, paying more attention to the regular price but when it's three years that's a real surprise. No tie in either.

Not only that I'm so used to special offers being for new customers but I qualified even though I was simply adding a service to two others.

Back in the 90s mortgage lenders in the UK were falling over themselves to encourage new borrorers with discounted interest rates and/or 'cashback' but they weren't doing it to encourage their own customers to stay.

I transferred my small mortgage, paid the early redemption penalty and used some of the money I made to buy my computer.

With Telus if they want a deposit your not eligible for the good incentives just the discount for 6 months which is okay, but not worth forking over 300 dollars for them to sit on for who knows how long, especially when they don't even tell you why they want the deposit, closest to why was the computer says we need one, well not good enough...lol

I won't give a company a deposit to become a customer, Shaw has no issues letting us be customers with no deposit, so we just stayed with them. We like Shaw, Telus was just a bit cheaper.

We called Shaw and asked to pay less, and they did deduct $15/month for the next 12 months, so not too bad, they call it a customer retention discount on the bill.

Last year we got cable nearly free as a retention offer.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 12:26 am

I know they do, they just make it difficult to use them for service, and their incentives have so many exceptions they are of no use to some, and they wan't a high deposit and won't say why they want it.

Was really only considering switching because it was a bit cheaper, and a TV was being offered as well as 2 passes to the gondola.

But since they made it difficult to even talk to a human, and then more difficult to receive service, and then the deposit they wanted which meant your not longer eligible for the promotions, they were not worth it.

A company that want's business doesn't make it difficult for the potential customer, and hence why I said they don't want new customers.
Deposits are required usually after they do a credit check, depending on the customers credit rating, or so I am told.

To speak to an operator just keep pressing 0, you get through.

Some are worse, such as RBC, you press 0 and they disconnect the call.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 12:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, i've found the opposite. Not to the extent that Jsmth does, ie I always find Telus staff very nice in the store near me, always helpful and they all know me lol since I go in there so often to play with the phones. But they don't seem to want to do anything for a customer (our family) who at times had paid $500 a month in cell bills (dont ask!), customer since Jul 2004, never late w/ payments, get new phones often, in general we make them money. They just kept repeating the sticker price off the website even though i've had good luck with their retentions dept in the past (while they are falling over themselves to get new customers......) - but Rogers is offering us a package with 5GB more data and the europe roaming thingy for $136 less per month (for 5 cellphones) and a $500 bill credit, so it was a no-brainer. So its switchy time.
Old Dec 7th 2015, 4:52 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
agree with you & if one has a bit of time & patience, you can actually wear the buggers down & get the deal - sometimes it does take several calls spread out over a few weeks

On Bell, I have 25/10 & which they gave me one year no charge just for being a nice scrupulous sweet nasty persistent customer. Modem is included no extra cost, unlike Rogers

Another BE member managed 25/10 unlimited at the 100GB price

Its been a year since Bell gave me free internet for 12 months, which expired today.

Over the past year year I have had a few up & down experiences with the service, several calls to tech support on the slow down/up speeds that fluctuated considerably, remotely trying to fix it - it never got beyond 20 mbps downloading/5mbps up.

This past September a Bell rep was going door-door, said we qualified for free 'fibre to the home' from the pole. A call to Bell, their response was since we had free service it wasn't available.

Today was the day for having to pay for the service - it was negotiation time.

What I ended up with was 12 months $39.95/mth - 25/10 with 500GB (which I will never use) . The technician is coming this Wednesday to lay the fibre from the pole to the house along with an upgraded modem.

Best I could do - did I get a good deal?

Old Dec 7th 2015, 9:41 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah I'd say $40pm sounds really good. 500GB is effectively unlimited isn't it.

I read two articles recently- one about ESPN being in trouble, as their market share is predicated on being included in the standard bundle at around $30-40pm. Markets are shying away from this as it makes cable noncompetitive. Then there was something about the Canadian regulators forcing an unbundling- so you can pick what you want. And obviously it won't include ESPN.

I wonder what cable deals will be available when that unbundling law comes into play? (and whether there'll be any stupid deals leading up to it).
Old Dec 7th 2015, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

What I ended up with was 12 months $39.95/mth - 25/10 with 500GB (which I will never use) .

We're on

Monthly charges Nov 01 - Nov 30 $
Hybrid Fibre 60 & TechXpert 60.99
Savings: Internet Discount -1Yr -30.50
Enhanced Home Gateway Rental 8.00
Savings: Internet Discount -1Yr -8.00
Total monthly charges 30.49

with Rogers. It has a 300 gb limit per month. We've never gone over 200 gb in a month.

Download Speed 60 mbps
Upload Speed 10 mbps

Both Bell and Rogers are bandits in my opinion. Never have I seen companies that can promise so much on the phone yet fail to deliver when the bills come. You need to monitor the monthly bill, get confirmation #'s for any transaction and call in if it isn't what is appears to be and then negotiate from there for credits.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a year since Bell gave me free internet for 12 months, which expired today.

Over the past year year I have had a few up & down experiences with the service, several calls to tech support on the slow down/up speeds that fluctuated considerably, remotely trying to fix it - it never got beyond 20 mbps downloading/5mbps up.

This past September a Bell rep was going door-door, said we qualified for free 'fibre to the home' from the pole. A call to Bell, their response was since we had free service it wasn't available.

Today was the day for having to pay for the service - it was negotiation time.

What I ended up with was 12 months $39.95/mth - 25/10 with 500GB (which I will never use) . The technician is coming this Wednesday to lay the fibre from the pole to the house along with an upgraded modem.

I would say thats a good deal.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

I called Telus last weekend to cancel my TV package and drop my internet from 100 mbps to 50 mbps, told me there was $10 charge for every month of my cable contract that was left so they stunned me and dropped my cable to $5 per month so i would keep it, my 50 mbps they gave me at a "New Customer" discount ! Both together now cost $68, that includes a bundle discount for my cell too. 400 Gb download limit, i average 125 Gb per month and i stream a lot of movies through a Raspberry Pi.

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Dec 11th 2015 at 8:03 pm.
Old Dec 11th 2015, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
I called Telus last weekend to cancel my TV package and drop my internet from 100 mbps to 50 mbps, told me there was $10 charge for every month of my cable contract that was left so they stunned me and dropped my cable to $5 per month so i would keep it, my 50 mbps they gave me at a "New Customer" discount ! Both together now cost $68, that includes a bundle discount for my cell too. 400 Gb download limit, i average 125 Gb per month and i stream a lot of movies through a Raspberry Pi.
I've had similar offers when I've wanted to cancel services. We have a landline we hardly use that is now $16 month but that service triggers enough discounts for bundled services that it is worth it. We have 4 cell phones on the plan (3 of which are now out of contract) that Rogers would love us to renew with new phones.(and new plans).

Do your homework and play these bandits off on one another. Always get a transaction # and if possible record the calls when they offer something. Always try and get the offer in writing with all the fine print before you have to commit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.