Application of Australian Citizenship

Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application of Australian Citizenship

Originally Posted by Alex997_99
Would a transit visa be included as well?
Thats not a residence visa, its purely for transit purposes. Hardly likely to allow a stay long enough to make a difference? Isn't it only valid for about 3 days maximum?
Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

Alex997_99 will become famous soon enough

yes..true...but since the debate in the earlier part of the thread...was...about person having a valid visa and so on,at the beginning of the 4 year period,I was looking forward to any opinions.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

cocoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Another Question About Citizenship Applications

Hi

I have spent the afternoon perusing all the debate about when citizenship can be applied for and I am still in the dark!

I will post my timeline dates and hopefully someone could advise me when I will be able to apply for my citizenship.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I appear a bit thick!

7 Sept 2005 Arrived Australia on holiday visa (Subclass 686)
21 July 2006 Departed Australia
21 July 2008 Arrived Australia on Permanent Residency Visa

The dates I have been outside of Australia are:

21/07/06 to 21/07/08 (see above)
and
16/08/09 to 12/09/09
28/06/10 to /05/08/10
01/04/11 to 28/05/11
28/01/12 to 04/03/12

Thanks
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:08 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Question About Citizenship Applications

Originally Posted by cocoa
Hi

I have spent the afternoon perusing all the debate about when citizenship can be applied for and I am still in the dark!

I will post my timeline dates and hopefully someone could advise me when I will be able to apply for my citizenship.

and
16/08/09 to 12/09/09
28/06/10 to /05/08/10
01/04/11 to 28/05/11
28/01/12 to 04/03/12

Thanks
Hi, and welcome to BE

I'll move your question to the Australian Immigration forum - we have some posters there who are pretty good on this topic
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Hi

and
16/08/09 to 12/09/09
28/06/10 to /05/08/10
01/04/11 to 28/05/11
28/01/12 to 04/03/12

Thanks
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Another Question About Citizenship Applications

and
16/08/09 to 12/09/09
28/06/10 to /05/08/10
01/04/11 to 28/05/11
28/01/12 to 04/03/12
Probably July this year, however you might be eligible already if DIAC views time before you entry as a PR in 2008 as allowable absence due to your previous time in Australia.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:40 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
You've already started a thread asking this here - no need to make the same post again a day later because no one has replied yet.
Threads merged
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

dwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the roughdwaindibley is a jewel in the rough

cocoa

i had a similar thing but we validated the PR on 1st Feb 2008, we were able to apply for citizenship on the 1st feb 2012 which we have done and just waiting for the test

looking at your dates you will have to wait till 21st july 2012 if that was when you validated the PR

hope this help

Robert
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

Alex997_99 will become famous soon enough

One has to have a validated visa,(visitor,work,ETA or Residency) AND need to be on the PR,for at least the year,before,one makes the application.
Am sure,there are more experienced folks on here who can comment on this.

Cheers,

Originally Posted by dwaindibley
cocoa

i had a similar thing but we validated the PR on 1st Feb 2008, we were able to apply for citizenship on the 1st feb 2012 which we have done and just waiting for the test

looking at your dates you will have to wait till 21st july 2012 if that was when you validated the PR

hope this help

Robert
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Hello

Thanks for that. I suppose I was wondering if my earlier trip to Oz on a holiday visa (Sept 2005 to July 2006) would count as the 'Lawful Residence' date, even though that visa expired in Sept 2006?

I just don't want to have to wait until July this year before I can apply!

Robert - I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how long you have to wait for your test - all the best.

Cocoa
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. I suppose I was wondering if my earlier trip to Oz on a holiday visa (Sept 2005 to July 2006) would count as the 'Lawful Residence' date, even though that visa expired in Sept 2006?
No (probably). You have to have had a valid visa four years prior to the date on which you submit your citizenship application for your lawful residence date to apply from then according to the DIAC guidance - see attached. There is some doubt about whether that is a correct interpretation of the law, but in practice, even if they are wrong, there's little you can do about it without taking on the might of DIAC and even if you did, you would still be arguing about it long after July.
Attached Files
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:35 am
Home and Happy

Hello

Robert - I'd really appreciate it if you could let me know how long you have to wait for your test - all the best.

Cocoa
The wait for the test does depend on where you are applying, it varies considerably
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

It's only 5 months!!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Once a citizen, can you come and go as you please? I.e. leave for ten years then return etc etc?
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:11 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
Once a citizen, can you come and go as you please? I.e. leave for ten years then return etc etc?
Yes you can

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.