Application of Australian Citizenship

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

cocoa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Application of Australian Citizenship

Thanks again everyone.

I can't wait 5 months, I'm impatient!! Actually, I am hoping to visit the UK in July or August (and do the citizenship ceremony when I return to Oz), which is why I was hoping to get my application in beforehand.

My PR visa is dated 25 June 08 and I arrived in Oz on 21 July 08. Does that mean I might be able to put 25 June as my 'Lawful Residence' date?

Tramps_mate I think you still have to show that you have some 'commitment' to Oz otherwise they can revoke your citizenship so presumably you would have to visit Oz occasionally? I could be wrong about this though.

Cheers
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:42 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cocoa
Thanks again everyone.

I can't wait 5 months, I'm impatient!! Actually, I am hoping to visit the UK in July or August (and do the citizenship ceremony when I return to Oz), which is why I was hoping to get my application in beforehand.

My PR visa is dated 25 June 08 and I arrived in Oz on 21 July 08. Does that mean I might be able to put 25 June as my 'Lawful Residence' date?

Tramps_mate I think you still have to show that you have some 'commitment' to Oz otherwise they can revoke your citizenship so presumably you would have to visit Oz occasionally? I could be wrong about this though.

Cheers
Once you are a citizen you can come and go as you please.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

If you read the attachment to my last post, you will see the answer is "no", assuming that your visa was granted offshore.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

Alex997_99 will become famous soon enough

Lawful residence can be any valid visa and cocoa has entered on a visitor's in 2005...
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alex997_99
Lawful residence can be any valid visa and cocoa has entered on a visitor's in 2005...
...Holiday Visa...mistake..
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

When I telephoned the Australian High Commision in London they said a holiday visa would be OK but he couldn't (or wouldn't) answer my question about exact dates, which is why I posted on here.

Have other people been told that holiday visas are unacceptable. There just seems to be so much contradiction!
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 1:27 pm
Just Joined

By the way, has anyone else been having trouble with applying for citizenship online? It keeps giving error messages.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

There just seems to be so much contradiction!
Have you read my posts? The attachment is a PDF of the Australian Citizenship Instructions published on the DIAC website. How can it be clearer than that?

Last edited by louie; Feb 23rd 2012 at 3:17 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

...Holiday Visa...mistake..
As already explained above, the issue is not the type of visa, it's that there was no visa which was valid four years ago. So the four year period starts when Cocoa arrived on 21 July 2008 (unless the visa was issued onshore, which is unlikely, in which case the start date will be 25 June 2008).
I'm getting a bit exasperated that no-one seems prepared to actually read the guidance.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

...guess the ACIS sheet has been discussed on page 3 of this forum.
People who have been migration agents,have commented on this stating the ACIS guidelines could be illegal and that the issue could be addressed in court or AAT.But this is just being pedantic.Majority would want to wait it out,if its a matter of a few months.
Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.

Sorry Louie if I've been annoying you, I do appreciate your help very much.

Old Feb 23rd 2012, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Not a great idea to plan an overseas trip soon after you apply for citizenship, as you need to wait for notification from DIAC for when your appointment & test will be. It could be within 1 or 2 weeks of applying, but it could also take a month or more depending on how busy that office is.

You may have to learn some patience, and either apply when you return from a trip to the UK (presuming absences still meet criteria) - or delay your trip to the UK until September.
Old Feb 26th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

I was approved citizenship in 1st week of December and only just received a ceremony appointment for the 8th March. So 3 months seems to be the waiting period. I guess I need a passport now as Im going overseas in April!
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:39 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
I was approved citizenship in 1st week of December and only just received a ceremony appointment for the 8th March. So 3 months seems to be the waiting period. I guess I need a passport now as Im going overseas in April!
You'll need to apply for the passport as soon as the ceremony is over. Get the paperwork ready in advance to save time
Old Feb 29th 2012, 4:41 am
Just Joined

ak1008 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey guys,

i would have met all residence requirements, but then my dad passed away overseas so i had to leave the country for 3 months. i am my parents' only child and had to deal with many matters...i missed the 90 day threshold just by 5 or 6 days unfortunately. I lodged my application providing a letter explaining all this and also providing evidence (death certificate of my father, funeral bill, inheritance tax deadline...). is there a chance that they will give me an exemption? if not...i'll have to wait another 7 months before applying which is very unfortunate for my current job (i also provided evidence for this).

thanks

Last edited by ak1008; Feb 29th 2012 at 4:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.