Application of Australian Citizenship

Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Application of Australian Citizenship

Originally Posted by ak1008
hey guys,

i would have met all residence requirements, but then my dad passed away overseas so i had to leave the country for 3 months. i am my parents' only child and had to deal with many matters...i missed the 90 day threshold just by 5 or 6 days unfortunately. I lodged my application providing a letter explaining all this and also providing evidence (death certificate of my father, funeral bill, inheritance tax deadline...). is there a chance that they will give me an exemption? if not...i'll have to wait another 7 months before applying which is very unfortunate for my current job (i also provided evidence for this).

thanks
Only the Department will know the answer to that
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:49 am
Just Joined

ak1008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just wondering if the special residency requirement may apply in my case:

'Proof that although you have spent periods of time overseas, your home has been in Australia. Examples of proof may include the presence of a spouse or children in Australia, evidence of property, tenancy agreements, rates notices or income tax payments'

Otherwise I don't think I have a chance as the rule is pretty clear on the 90 days.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

cocoa is an unknown quantity at this point

To continue my previous theme......... I just wondered if any of you knowledgeable people out there would know if I would be allowed to apply for my citizenship and then travel to the UK before sitting my test?

i.e. Would the DIAC let me postpone the date of my test until I return?

Thanks
Old Mar 10th 2012, 7:05 am
Banned

gainchoudhary is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Application of Australian Citizenship

Hi Guys I am new in this Thread...... Congrats to all those who got their citizen..
I have couple of questions to ask..

1. how long roughly to get a letter for interview/test from the date we apply
online?

2. Once we sit in the test, can we get result straightaway or they will notify?

3. How long Department will take to decide application from test date
(estimate time)?
Old Mar 10th 2012, 9:01 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gainchoudhary
Hi Guys I am new in this Thread...... Congrats to all those who got their citizen..
I have couple of questions to ask..

1. how long roughly to get a letter for interview/test from the date we apply
online?

2. Once we sit in the test, can we get result straightaway or they will notify?

3. How long Department will take to decide application from test date
(estimate time)?
Depends partly on where you are applying to.......
Old Mar 14th 2012, 8:32 am
Banned

gainchoudhary is an unknown quantity at this point

I am Planning to apply from perth...
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Mrsmightymike has a spectacular aura aboutMrsmightymike has a spectacular aura aboutMrsmightymike has a spectacular aura about

This might sound like a stupid question, but are you a citizen once you get the approved letter from the government, or once you attend the citizenship ceremony? The reason I ask is that we applied today for our citizenship, and we might have to go back to the UK for a wedding in April 2013, but friends of ours have just waited 6 months for a ceremony. So can we apply for our Aus passports once we have received our letters, or do we have to wait for the ceremony?

We are applying through Perth.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:08 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Mrsmightymike
This might sound like a stupid question, but are you a citizen once you get the approved letter from the government, or once you attend the citizenship ceremony? The reason I ask is that we applied today for our citizenship, and we might have to go back to the UK for a wedding in April 2013, but friends of ours have just waited 6 months for a ceremony. So can we apply for our Aus passports once we have received our letters, or do we have to wait for the ceremony?

You have to wait for the ceremony before you become a citizen. You can apply for passports immediately afterwards.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Mrsmightymike has a spectacular aura aboutMrsmightymike has a spectacular aura aboutMrsmightymike has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for the quick response Pollyanna

Although there's nothing I can do to change it, it does seem rather unfair that we have to wait that long for just the ceremony. Here's hoping the test/interview date comes through quickly!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Although there's nothing I can do to change it, it does seem rather unfair that we have to wait that long for just the ceremony. Here's hoping the test/interview date comes through quickly!
Not sure how it can be considered as "unfair" - even more so when a lot of visa applications taken longer than the citizenship process normally takes.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

'Unfair' is probably not the correct word I was looking for. I think it is 'not right' that we should have to wait to become officially recognised as citizens just because there aren't any ceremonies available, when all the paperwork and tests have been completed and passed. I'm looking forward to the ceremony as and when it happens, but I think you should be allowed to apply for passports or HECS or whatever the case may be once you have your letter of approval.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 1:59 pm
Home and Happy

'Unfair' is probably not the correct word I was looking for. I think it is 'not right' that we should have to wait to become officially recognised as citizens just because there aren't any ceremonies available, when all the paperwork and tests have been completed and passed. I'm looking forward to the ceremony as and when it happens, but I think you should be allowed to apply for passports or HECS or whatever the case may be once you have your letter of approval.
You aren't actually a citizen until the ceremony, thats why you aren't t entitled to a passport etc. If you do need to travel urgently your visa is valid until the day of the ceremony.
Very few places seem to have a 6 month wait, most places do ceremonies more often, judging by feedback on here
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

elice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond reputeelice_in_oz has a reputation beyond repute

If you applied this week, I doubt very much that you won't get your ceremony before April 2013. That's a year away! I know some councils are slow, but I think they'd have at least one ceremony per year, most likely on Australia Day. Once you have citizenship, the passports only take a couple of weeks from lodgement of the applications.
Thanks for the quick response Pollyanna

I have heard of some people who had their own private ceremony (can't remember who or where though ) because they had compelling reasons to have one outside of the normal schedule. Not sure a holiday to the UK would be deemed compelling enough though
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:57 pm
Melbourne Rock City

rubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of lightrubbeldiekatz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You aren't actually a citizen until the ceremony, thats why you aren't t entitled to a passport etc. If you do need to travel urgently your visa is valid until the day of the ceremony.
Very few places seem to have a 6 month wait, most places do ceremonies more often, judging by feedback on here
Mooney Valley council do ceremonies every 2 months
Old Mar 28th 2012, 2:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elice_in_oz
I have heard of some people who had their own private ceremony (can't remember who or where though ) because they had compelling reasons to have one outside of the normal schedule. Not sure a holiday to the UK would be deemed compelling enough though
That was me. We had a private ceremony for a couple of reasons, one being the long wait for a council ceremony. That on its own was not enough of a reason, though. The council eventually arranged for us to attend the Australia Day ceremony with close to 10 000 others. We applied for a private date due to my child's inability to function with thousands of other people around him (medical reasons). We still ended up waiting until March for a new date, so even a private ceremony doesn't necessarily speed things up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.