Application of Australian Citizenship

Old Nov 28th 2013, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

whtzau is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Application of Australian Citizenship

Originally Posted by louie
I guess so. His PR visa couldn't have overridden his ETA because it wasn't issued until Nov 2007, so he must have had a valid ETA four years before he was able to apply for citizenship in March 2011.
Thanks Louie, will phone hotline and tell them my passport number to confirm the eligible date for citizenship application. : - )
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:23 pm
Just Joined

Franconian is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just reading through this thread, but it is still not clear for me...

I arrived in Australia on my 1st Working Holiday Visa in July 2009 until June 2010
Back on Evisa from October 2010 for 6 weeks (Evisa expiry July 2011)

Then I returned on my 2nd Working Holiday Visa in January 2012 and stayed until now (Permanent resident was granted in January 2013)

I don't understand if the "Lawful Residence Date" would be January 2012 or if the first visit counts, i.e. July 2009?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

johnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnye is a glorious beacon of light

Work back 4 years from today and ask

1. have I been a PR for at least 1 year
2. have I been legally in Australia for a cumulative
total of 3 of the 4 years.If yes you should be
able to apply. If you're not sure ring the
help number and they will tell you when
you can apply. This worked die me.

Originally Posted by Franconian

I arrived in Australia on my 1st Working Holiday Visa in July 2009 until June 2010

Then I returned on my 2nd Working Holiday Visa in January 2012 and stayed until now (Permanent resident was granted in January 2013)

I don't understand if the "Lawful Residence Date" would be January 2012 or if the first visit counts, i.e. July 2009?
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:42 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Franconian

You were lawfully resident when you entered on the 1st WHV. Plug your dates into the calculator for help on when to apply - https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

Hiya all

Been in OZ with family since Feb 26th 2010 now and on PR175 VISA granted in November 2008.

Recently did a trip to Europe and when got back into Perth they said I have no VISA and i had to do a temp 773 30 day VISA and they are instructing me to do a RRV subclass 155 ASAP. Funny as completely did not realize that 5 year VISA expired in Nov 2013!! LOL...

Anyway pretty sure I can apply for Citizenship for family now.

My Questions:
Can i just go straight for applying for Citizenship without doing an RRV for my family?
Are we all staying in Australia unlawfully/illegally without doing an RRV?

I dont want to have to pay $335 per RRV each and then pay for a citizenship test shortly after if i dont have to?

whats the best thing to do? is an RRV only needed if we plan to go out the country again and not stay here before citizenship comes through?

Cheers.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:29 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stellaman
Hiya all

Been in OZ with family since Feb 26th 2010 now and on PR175 VISA granted in November 2008.

Recently did a trip to Europe and when got back into Perth they said I have no VISA and i had to do a temp 773 30 day VISA and they are instructing me to do a RRV subclass 155 ASAP. Funny as completely did not realize that 5 year VISA expired in Nov 2013!! LOL...

My Questions:
Can i just go straight for applying for Citizenship without doing an RRV for my family?

I dont want to have to pay $335 per RRV each and then pay for a citizenship test shortly after if i dont have to?

whats the best thing to do? is an RRV only needed if we plan to go out the country again and not stay here before citizenship comes through?

Cheers.
Since you wouldn't be a citizen until you took the ceremony which will take a few months, do the RRV.

Use the link in the previous post to see if you are eligible to apply as it will depend how many days you have been out of Australia in the last 4 years, and in the last 12 months
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Since you wouldn't be a citizen until you took the ceremony which will take a few months, do the RRV.

Use the link in the previous post to see if you are eligible to apply as it will depend how many days you have been out of Australia in the last 4 years, and in the last 12 months
So you are saying because VISA has expired we need to do RRV even if i plan not to travel for 12 months or more?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 5:39 am

So you are saying because VISA has expired we need to do RRV even if i plan not to travel for 12 months or more?
I would as that was the advice given - but I can't see a lot of info on the 773 visa so maybe ask advice from a MARA agent. The information I can see is that the visa you have been given is temporary clearance, and what the effect would be if you don't apply for the RRV before this expires I don't know.
Old Apr 1st 2014, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I would as that was the advice given - but I can't see a lot of info on the 773 visa so maybe ask advice from a MARA agent. The information I can see is that the visa you have been given is temporary clearance, and what the effect would be if you don't apply for the RRV before this expires I don't know.
Ok - I guess our visas expired in Nov 2013 and nothing happens yet?
Old Apr 1st 2014, 7:07 am

Ok - I guess our visas expired in Nov 2013 and nothing happens yet?
The travel portion expired and if you had stayed in Australia you would have been okay. Having travelled outside of Australia though, and issued a border visa to re-enter you either need to follow the advice they gave and apply for RRV or seek advice from a MARA agent.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

tiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud oftiger222 has much to be proud of

Hiya all

My Questions:

Cheers.
Hey Stellaman! Great to see you again! Amazing how quickly the time has passed since we were chasing our PR visas together.

I would def apply for citizenship for you and your family. It's true the ceremony is the longest wait - but you could ask for expedited ceremony, considering the circumstances.

Technically speaking the PR visa doesn't expire - you can stay as long as you would like, but you should have gotten the RRV before traveling abroad. Which is why they want you to apply for that now.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tiger222
Technically speaking the PR visa doesn't expire - you can stay as long as you would like.

Normally yes, but as they were issued another visa they need to ensure that their PR visa hasn't been affected. If so, then there may be legal implications once the emergency visa expires. As advised, seek advice and/or apply for RRV ASAP x
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I really would not mess around with this, you have been given a temp border visa which is not great, I would follow their advice.

Also, usually when somebody returns to australia without a valid RRV for travel, they are banned from applying for citizenship for 12 months. You should look into this, it would be another reason to sort out the RRVs in case you need to travel again.