Wikiposts

International Experience Canada

Old Mar 15th 2011, 8:21 am
Just Joined

VanCity is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: International Experience Canada

Originally Posted by DCCL
when people got the conditional exceptance and it stated 6 or 8 weeks, is it from the date it was sent to london??
It's actually from your 'Acknowledgement Reciept' email that you will have received when Paris got your application form, so one of the first emails, this is the date that it states your estmated wait time.

Your conditional acceptance is passed this stage and this stage is when they have received your form in Paris and have a visa on hold for you until you pay your participation fee.

Once you pay, then you should get another email saying that your application has been received in the High Commission in London, then if everything os ok there you get a 'First Evaluation Phase Completed' email which says you have passed this stage and now all is left is the seond phase and if you pass that your next and last email is your Letter of Introduction.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

kc85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Little Blue
Thankfully, my job is good, I'm just on a contract that ends April 20th. I work as a theatre technician so I'm hoping to go into something related to that. I've always been interested in Film/TV production too so I'll be keeping an eye out for opportunities.

But obviously I won't be too picky
thats awesome your very lucky- i hope to stop messing about with random stuff now methinks lol rele want to wake up wanting that passion of going into work lol

i hear btw toronto is very good for media related industry malark!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

Galacticos is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kc85
thats awesome your very lucky- i hope to stop messing about with random stuff now methinks lol rele want to wake up wanting that passion of going into work lol

i hear btw toronto is very good for media related industry malark!
Well they have a film school if that is any connection to media..... I have a friend who teaches there.... A regular Joey trippiani
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Mr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really niceMr. Numbers is just really nice

Originally Posted by Galacticos
So do you have to be holding £2000 in a UK bank account when you move over and show a statement to prove that, because whats stopping me from just emptying my account, and taking the cash with me, and paying it all into my account in canada when i open it?? I'm sure your allowed to take a certain amount of cash with you before having to declare it..... Im sure i have seen on landing cards the figure of $10,000 ??
Yeah, should be nothing to stop you just withdrawing the cash from your account and taking it with you - what better proof of having access to £2,000 than showing them £2,000 in cash right there! Just don't shout about it on the plane

Yep, you can take any amount of up to $10,000 into Canada without having to declare anything to customs. Anything over $10,000 you have to declare - you don't have to pay any charges/tax on it, and it's completely legal to take more than $10,000 in, you just have to declare it to them when you enter.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:08 am
Just Joined

stizzyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lenny86
hey!

still no word here i actually had one contact at ogilvy when i left, so i pestered her and got an internship, and am now working at euro. i think you will have a better chance at getting in because of the fact you arent local. blanket emails arent so bad, but definitely send in a link to your site.
Thanks, are you in account management? I'm a producer in the tv department so (having knowledge of the industry over there) do you think the fact I'm currently London based might actually work in my favour? What is the industry like out there?
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mr. Numbers
Yeah, should be nothing to stop you just withdrawing the cash from your account and taking it with you - what better proof of having access to £2,000 than showing them £2,000 in cash right there! Just don't shout about it on the plane

Yep, you can take any amount of up to $10,000 into Canada without having to declare anything to customs. Anything over $10,000 you have to declare - you don't have to pay any charges/tax on it, and it's completely legal to take more than $10,000 in, you just have to declare it to them when you enter.
Oh i wont be telling a soul, but i will be looking paranoid as anything in case anyone tries to pick my pockets.......

Its not a good look for me to look paranoid wen im already a British born Pakistani, and already expecting extra questions at immigration (I get it everytime) LOL.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:58 am
Just Joined

Canuckinuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh i wont be telling a soul, but i will be looking paranoid as anything in case anyone tries to pick my pockets.......

Its not a good look for me to look paranoid wen im already a British born Pakistani, and already expecting extra questions at immigration (I get it everytime) LOL.
Just a thought that you usually lose out a lot by taking cash. If you take out pounds and exchange them in to dollars when you get there you lose a lot because the exchange rate you get will be really bad. If you order Canadian Dollars from a bank here you will also lose out. I work at a bank in the uk and for instance today our rate for customers to buy CAD was 1.47 and to return CAD was 1.70. You would lose out on a couple hundred dollars at least doing it this way. If you take it out at a cashpoint in canada you won't lose out so much but I would suggest doing an international transfer. It will cost you up to 20 pounds (depending on who you bank with here) to do a transfer but the exchange is much better than the cash one. For example the exchange rate today for international transfer was 1.5450 as opposed to 1.47 for cash. If you were transferring 2000 pounds you would have 150 dollars more if you do an international transfer.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Canuckinuk
Just a thought that you usually lose out a lot by taking cash. If you take out pounds and exchange them in to dollars when you get there you lose a lot because the exchange rate you get will be really bad. If you order Canadian Dollars from a bank here you will also lose out. I work at a bank in the uk and for instance today our rate for customers to buy CAD was 1.47 and to return CAD was 1.70. You would lose out on a couple hundred dollars at least doing it this way. If you take it out at a cashpoint in canada you won't lose out so much but I would suggest doing an international transfer. It will cost you up to 20 pounds (depending on who you bank with here) to do a transfer but the exchange is much better than the cash one. For example the exchange rate today for international transfer was 1.5450 as opposed to 1.47 for cash. If you were transferring 2000 pounds you would have 150 dollars more if you do an international transfer.
Interesting..... Thanks for tht info matey
Old Mar 15th 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

haha, that's kinda funny you say that cause I travelled to Toronto with my British born Pakistani friend who never even got a second look. My white friend on the other hand...on the way in and on the way out got a full body scan, his luggage searched, was even taken aside for extra questioning at immigration haha. I had to go over and bail him out cause he's an idiot!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

lenny86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by stizzyb
Thanks, are you in account management? I'm a producer in the tv department so (having knowledge of the industry over there) do you think the fact I'm currently London based might actually work in my favour? What is the industry like out there?
the industry is fairly small. i would say there are only really 20-ish agencies over here that are of any decent size.

i do love it though, everyone knows everyone, and if you get one contact, you will surely get loads from there.

did you hear anything today??
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

lenny86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lenny86
the industry is fairly small. i would say there are only really 20-ish agencies over here that are of any decent size.

i do love it though, everyone knows everyone, and if you get one contact, you will surely get loads from there.

did you hear anything today??
and of course, i would happily give you any contacts i have as well.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Third6
haha, that's kinda funny you say that cause I travelled to Toronto with my British born Pakistani friend who never even got a second look. My white friend on the other hand...on the way in and on the way out got a full body scan, his luggage searched, was even taken aside for extra questioning at immigration haha. I had to go over and bail him out cause he's an idiot!
True it can happen the other way. I just expect the worst, better to be prepared right.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Canuckinuk
Not necessarily true. Have you thought about UK cheques? I regularly pay UK cheques into my RBC account, and get a rate of between 1.51 and 1.55. No commission or additional fees either, just a straight conversion into dollars.

I wish I'd known about that before transferring my savings by international transfer last April - I'd have saved around $400.
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Third6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really niceThird6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by wolstie
Not necessarily true. Have you thought about UK cheques? I regularly pay UK cheques into my RBC account, and get a rate of between 1.51 and 1.55. No commission or additional fees either, just a straight conversion into dollars.

I wish I'd known about that before transferring my savings by international transfer last April - I'd have saved around $400.
You mean write a cheque for all your money using your UK account and pay it into your Canadian bank?? Sorry if I'm being retarded but so they accept UK cheques ok? Like if I write a cheque from Nationwide, President's Choice will accept it?
Old Mar 16th 2011, 6:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Third6
You mean write a cheque for all your money using your UK account and pay it into your Canadian bank?? Sorry if I'm being retarded but so they accept UK cheques ok? Like if I write a cheque from Nationwide, President's Choice will accept it?
Yeah i was thinking the same thing, or would it have to be a banks cheque??

I mite pop into my branch and discuss it all with them. I still have to get them to give me a card that works in any cash machine...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.