IEC 2017

Old Dec 13th 2016, 1:42 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone work in the music or gaming industry in the Vancouver area

I've moved your post about IEC to the IEC thread, so that you get relevant answers!

There's information about filling out the form here: http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig.../#post11806031

Others will be along to help you with your other questions.

Old Dec 13th 2016, 7:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2017

Originally Posted by Pinnacle
So i've been sorting some stuff out and i've decided to apply for the working holiday visa, is there a deadline for the 2017 program? i can't find any info on it.

I've come across a question but not sure what to put, the question is: "Are you registered at a college or university in your country of citizenship?" does this mean current students? as i studied a degree from 2011-13.

Also your passport needs to be valid for at least 2 years, mine expires October 2017 (i've already applied to renew it) should i wait until i receive my new passport to fill in the section requiring passport details? i was thinking this may effect my chances of getting an invitation if they see it expires next year? or is that not relevant?
There's no deadline, the program just runs until all the visas run out, but tbh you should apply asap, as the sooner you apply the more chance you've got of getting a visa in the lottery system. If you leave it longer then more visas will have gone and you'll be in with less of a chance. As you can see, as of last Friday 1794 ITA's have been issued, and if everybody that received one actually goes ahead and takes it up and gets accepted (unlikely, as people change their minds, or are rejected etc, but you never know!), then there will only be 3006 visas left so almost half gone already. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ie...ntry=gb&cat=wh So don't delay, get cracking if you think you'll want to go in 2017/2018.

The answer to the question about studying is no, as you're not currently studying.

You don't need 2 years on your passport when you apply to enter the pool, only when you actually apply for a visa, so apply asap and then you can update the details when you get the new passport.

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 13th 2016 at 7:47 am.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 9:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat075 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There's no deadline, the program just runs until all the visas run out, but tbh you should apply asap, as the sooner you apply the more chance you've got of getting a visa in the lottery system. If you leave it longer then more visas will have gone and you'll be in with less of a chance. As you can see, as of last Friday 1794 ITA's have been issued, and if everybody that received one actually goes ahead and takes it up and gets accepted (unlikely, as people change their minds, or are rejected etc, but you never know!), then there will only be 3006 visas left so almost half gone already. Rounds of invitations ā€“ International Experience Canada So don't delay, get cracking if you think you'll want to go in 2017/2018.

The answer to the question about studying is no, as you're not currently studying.

You don't need 2 years on your passport when you apply to enter the pool, only when you actually apply for a visa, so apply asap and then you can update the details when you get the new passport.

HTH.
Ok brilliant I'll apply tonight! So just trying to find out exactly the documents I need (I've checked various places but still a little unsure).. I only see police check and a possible medical? Is there any other documents I'll need?

Edit: ok I'm impatient and couldn't wait so i applied just now! Should I get the police check done now? Don't want to have to do it in the 20 day window if I get an ITA, is it only valid for a certain time period?

Since I applied I noticed mention of including your CV, is this relevant for working holiday applicants? If so is there a Canadian format I should follow? I don't have one at the moment.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat075; Dec 13th 2016 at 10:21 am.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

HTH.
CO - was I imagining it, or do you have to get a letter from the UK college confirming the applicant is a student there ? I am sure I read it on applying on behalf of my son, but it didn't mention it on the 'documents you need' message after applying. Just Police Certificate, CV and forms.

I obviously stated that he was registered to a college here.

If he does need one, I had better tell him to get his skates on and request a college confirmation in case an ITA comes through whilst the colleges are on holidays ! Thank so much.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victoria34
CO - was I imagining it, or do you have to get a letter from the UK college confirming the applicant is a student there ? I am sure I read it on applying on behalf of my son, but it didn't mention it on the 'documents you need' message after applying. Just Police Certificate, CV and forms.

I obviously stated that he was registered to a college here.

If he does need one, I had better tell him to get his skates on and request a college confirmation in case an ITA comes through whilst the colleges are on holidays ! Thank so much.
Not needed, unless for some bizarre reason they later ask for one. But certainly not something I've ever heard of being requested.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Victoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond reputeVictoria34 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Not needed, unless for some bizarre reason they later ask for one. But certainly not something I've ever heard of being requested.
Thanks for that ! I must have imagined it then ! Appreciate the response!
Old Dec 13th 2016, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

AmyStark is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mobius1988
Looks like you've got all of the information correct...this is also my understanding of how it works. I'm waiting until 1 day before my application expires to accept it to give me more time to get the police check.

Getting those documents together should be easy enough, I'm just very nervous about not knowing about some kind of evidence i will need and accidentally leaving it at home when im away and cant access it haha.

I'm actually going to Canada! Meeting my girlfriends family for the first time (She's actually Canadian) and spending xmas/new year with them!

Well, if you are not 100% sure you want to go and work in Canada you could always invest the cost of getting the police check and paying for the application and then decide over the next year. Once you receive a work permit you have 12 months to activate it!
Hi,

Sorry for the delay in my reply, that's exactly what I am going to do... Wait until the day before it expires to give myself enough time for the police certificate. I have applied for this in Sunday evening, so hopefully it should arrive in the next few days. I did read that even if you don't have it you can submit evidence showing that you have it and then send it over to CIC once you have the actual document.

With regard to your CV have you given any thought about whether to 'canadianise' it so to speak? Do you know if there are many differences between a UK CV and a Canadian one, with the exception being its called a resume there? I'm not sure whether this has any bearing on the outcome of the work permit visa, my background is political and I'm currently at uni doing a master's so it's not really like I have any of the 'skilled trades' that they require over there.

Even though I am not entirely certain that I want to move to Canada I am still going to go ahead an apply, the cost of he visa seems pretty negligible.. $130 IEC fee and $100 work permit fee which is not really that much. If I don't use it I don't use it, but I'd sooner have the option. This is the last chance I will have for IEC as I'm already 30.

Your holiday sounds wonderful with your girlfriend. I hope you enjoy it and get a feel for Canada, I've never even been so please do let me know how you find it!

Thanks for your help!
Old Dec 13th 2016, 10:41 pm
Just Joined

SheffieldRMN is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Just a quick couple of questions........

- I have submitted my application and awaiting an invite to apply for the work permit.....I have a police check from last year as I had to drop out of the process due to personal reasons, would this suffice or will a fresh police check need to be done? (Frustrating as I am a Police Officer so I have no criminal history).

- Is it worth doing any sort of courses in order to increase the likelihood of getting a job and also increasing the chance of being able to apply for a more permanent visa post WHV? Obviously the role of Police officer is nigh on impossible these days to get a job there.

Thanks in advance

Jordan
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SheffieldRMN
Hi,

- I have submitted my application and awaiting an invite to apply for the work permit.....I have a police check from last year as I had to drop out of the process due to personal reasons, would this suffice or will a fresh police check need to be done? (Frustrating as I am a Police Officer so I have no criminal history).

- Is it worth doing any sort of courses in order to increase the likelihood of getting a job and also increasing the chance of being able to apply for a more permanent visa post WHV? Obviously the role of Police officer is nigh on impossible these days to get a job there.

Thanks in advance

Jordan
For countries where you have lived for six months or more, but no longer live in, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

For the country you currently live in, where you spent six months or more, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send it when you apply, along with the original copy of a translation done by a certified translator.
How to get a police certificate (police check)
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

AmyStark is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks in advance

Jordan
Hi Jordan,

I think your police certificate can't be more than twelve months old, so chances are you'll need a new one by the time your invite comes as I think first round has already finished.

Regarding the applying for permanent residence, I had a quick look on it and it seems it all changed in 2015; you can now be eligible for PR under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) under Express Entry provided that you've worked at least twelve months in Canada. I have no idea the sort of work and I may have totally misinterpreted it but from my reading is just said 'skilled' job.. Not sure what that means, you can read more here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

Hope that helps.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
For countries where you have lived for six months or more, but no longer live in, the police certificate must be issued after the last time you lived in that country.

For the country you currently live in, where you spent six months or more, the police certificate must be issued no more than six months before you apply.

If your certificate is in a language other than English or French, send it when you apply, along with the original copy of a translation done by a certified translator.
How to get a police certificate (police check)

Thanks that answers the question. It is more than 6 months old so will require a current one.
Old Dec 13th 2016, 11:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmyStark
Hi Jordan,

I think your police certificate can't be more than twelve months old, so chances are you'll need a new one by the time your invite comes as I think first round has already finished.

Regarding the applying for permanent residence, I had a quick look on it and it seems it all changed in 2015; you can now be eligible for PR under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) under Express Entry provided that you've worked at least twelve months in Canada. I have no idea the sort of work and I may have totally misinterpreted it but from my reading is just said 'skilled' job.. Not sure what that means, you can read more here:

Who can apply ā€“ Canadian Experience Class

Hope that helps.
Ah brilliant thanks Amy.

Yes previously when I applied it was slightly different but if you have interpreted it correctly it seems a little easier to get PR that way just so long as you're doing a job they require.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 11:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah brilliant thanks Amy.

Yes previously when I applied it was slightly different but if you have interpreted it correctly it seems a little easier to get PR that way just so long as you're doing a job they require.
As Amy's said, it's any 'skilled' job, doesn't need to be one they require. But do note that because CEC comes under Express Entry you'll also need to be scoring enough on the CRS to be selected and invited to apply for PR, so do check your CRS score to see what it would be after a year of skilled work - currently you'd need to be scoring above approx 460-480 as a minimum to be in with a chance.

HTH, good luck.
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

tariqbutt is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Canada Working Holiday Visa Question at age 35

I am currently 35 years old and will turn 36 in November 2017. I am an Irish citizen so allowed to apply up until the end of my 35th birthday. I understand the system for the visa has changed recently to the new "Pools" based system meaning you do not have to apply at the start of the year like you did previously. Despite having read through the official website, I still have some questions:

1. At what point in the process must my age be below 36? For example if I am giving an "invitation to apply" for a work permit and I turn 36 before I receive my "port of entry (POE) letter of introduction", will my application still be valid? In this case I could hold my "POE letter" for a full year before entering the country and theoretically enter just prior to my 37th birthday? Essentially I want to know at what stage of the process do I have to fit the age eligibility criteria or do I need to remain under 36 at the point of entry?

2. I would prefer not to move to canada until 2018 (when I am over 36). Under the pool system is it safe to leave my application until later in 2017 (for example summer time) before applying? This would be with the purpose that my "POE letter" will not begin until as late as possible allowing me to enter later. Or might I be risking the program being filled and completed already by me doing that?

3. I assume I am allowed do any work under the program including professional work. I am also wondering if there is a different visa that might apply to me after I turn 36. (Perhaps some sort of skilled immigrant as I have a number of degrees and work experience in Mathematics/Finance.)

Any help is much appreciated
Old Dec 14th 2016, 3:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Default Re: Canada Working Holiday Visa Question at age 35

Hi, and welcome to BE.

We have a dedicated IEC thread, for all IEC related questions, I'll move your post there now.

Originally Posted by tariqbutt
1. At what point in the process must my age be below 36? For example if I am giving an "invitation to apply" for a work permit and I turn 36 before I receive my "port of entry (POE) letter of introduction", will my application still be valid? In this case I could hold my "POE letter" for a full year before entering the country and theoretically enter just prior to my 37th birthday? Essentially I want to know at what stage of the process do I have to fit the age eligibility criteria or do I need to remain under 36 at the point of entry?
You need to be 35 or under when you receive your LOI - it doesn't matter if you turn 36 once you've got that. If you turn 36 whilst still in the pool, your profile will be removed. Iā€™m almost too old for International Experience Canada. Can I still apply?

2. I would prefer not to move to canada until 2018 (when I am over 36). Under the pool system is it safe to leave my application until later in 2017 (for example summer time) before applying? This would be with the purpose that my "POE letter" will not begin until as late as possible allowing me to enter later. Or might I be risking the program being filled and completed already by me doing that?
I wouldn't risk it personally, but I'm not sure how quickly the visas for Ireland went last year. I guess all you can do is keep an eye on the quota page and see how many ITA's have been sent out (so far 1847, so still 5853 available, probably more if not all of those given ITA's accept them or are accepted themselves).

3. I assume I am allowed do any work under the program including professional work. I am also wondering if there is a different visa that might apply to me after I turn 36. (Perhaps some sort of skilled immigrant as I have a number of degrees and work experience in Mathematics/Finance.)
Yes, you can do pretty much any work (barring anything that requires you to be a PR or citizen i.e. police officer etc). You may well qualify for another kind of visa, but there are over 50 routes to PR so without knowing a lot more about you it's hard to say. You can take the eligibility test on the CIC website to check though, if you are eligible for PR via Express Entry then you'll also need to check your CRS score and make sure you're scoring enough (approx 460-480 minimum as a rough guide), because it's a similar 'pool' system to the IEC program, but unlike the IEC it's not down to chance, only those with the highest scores are selected.

HTH a bit, best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.