IEC 2016

Old Nov 30th 2015, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2016

I meant if you were a young Canadian applying to go to the UK.

S
Old Dec 1st 2015, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I think the point is you can't DIY. If you don't say you're signed up with one of the organisations you get denied.
We've all been making a mistake with the drop down. (I was only bitching about this a few weeks ago when I got my ETA as well) - "British citizen" and "United Kingdom & colonies" do not mean the same thing to CIC. The latter is what most Brits will search for when asked "Country issuing your passport", but the former is what you need to get through the questionnaire properly.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
You can also apply directly for the UK's Youth Mobility Scheme (Tier 5 Visa):

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview

I have never done this, but there is no reason why a young Canadian can't apply directly themselves, using the second link. I don't know how the costs compare. For the Irish WHV it is cheaper to DIY (for a young Canadian).

S
It's slightly more expensive and irritating for a young Canadian to come to Britain on tier 5 than for us to go there on IEC. We had to do fastest-finger-first then no worry, they have to do endless forms, an in-person interview, biometrics, etc, and a slightly higher bank statement requirement. But fewer of them wanting to do it, so the ones who do all get in.

My partner waited til he got it all stapled in his passport, then clicked on the survey link he'd been sent a fortnight before, and proceeded to explain how a Quebecois girl's blog had been a more consistently accurate & useful source of info than 3 Home Office websites...
Old Dec 1st 2015, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
It's slightly more expensive and irritating for a young Canadian to come to Britain on tier 5 than for us to go there on IEC. We had to do fastest-finger-first then no worry, they have to do endless forms, an in-person interview, biometrics, etc, and a slightly higher bank statement requirement. But fewer of them wanting to do it, so the ones who do all get in.

My partner waited til he got it all stapled in his passport, then clicked on the survey link he'd been sent a fortnight before, and proceeded to explain how a Quebecois girl's blog had been a more consistently accurate & useful source of info than 3 Home Office websites...
We've all been making a mistake with the drop down. (I was only bitching about this a few weeks ago when I got my ETA as well) - "British citizen" and "United Kingdom & colonies" do not mean the same thing to CIC. The latter is what most Brits will search for when asked "Country issuing your passport", but the former is what you need to get through the questionnaire properly.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 1st 2015 at 12:31 am.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 3:12 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

And just like me giving Translink 'constructive feedback' on turning up the air con on the Canada Line during rush hour in the morning...the feedback will just go straight in the bin.

I think I know the blog you are talking about though
Old Dec 1st 2015, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Excellent news IMHO. Its a privilege to get a WHV not a right so therefore applicants must adhere to the programme. You can still visit or extend your stay if already here so I don't see it as a deal breaker.
Living month to month in Canada isn't cheap if not working and Ive seen many IEC applicants state that getting the $2500 required funds can be difficult which I think is still too low.
How many might be encouraged to work under the table while waiting for approval?
Indeed. So in your situation, if someone from the UK showed up to your border and said their name was in the pool rather than having an invitation to apply, would this now be more of a red flag than it was before?
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Indeed. So in your situation, if someone from the UK showed up to your border and said their name was in the pool rather than having an invitation to apply, would this now be more of a red flag than it was before?
Being in the pool is no guarantee of getting a work permit whereas the ITA basically got you the work permit providing you met the IEC criteria.
The ITA was valid for 12 months so if a person came over as a visitor initially there was less risk as they would eventually use the ITA to get a work permit.
Being in the pool is not the same thing so is more of a risk as no guarantee they will get the ITA.
If for example they were in Canada for 4 months and then got the ITA would they still have the $2500 in funds required?
Old Dec 1st 2015, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If for example they were in Canada for 4 months and then got the ITA would they still have the $2500 in funds required?
I suspect their bank balance will be bright red
Old Dec 1st 2015, 5:51 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Those that are hoping to apply might want to get a start on it now.

Schedule for the 2016 season
United Kingdom — Working Holiday

If you are eligible, you can submit a profile to this pool as of November 30, 2015.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 6:06 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I think the point is you can't DIY. If you don't say you're signed up with one of the organisations you get denied.
You don't have to go through an organisation. You have to be very specific (as mentioned upthread) about your responses to residency, passport holder etc.

As an example, I just did a fake 'come to Canada' to check.
What is the country/territory of your passport?
British Citizens

What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
England

What is your date of birth?
January 12, 1993

Do you have a letter proving one of these organizations will help you plan your trip or find work in Canada?
No

What is your country/territory of permanent residence?
This is where you live permanently.
For example, if you are a Mexican student in Canada, your country of permanent residence is Mexico.
England

Do you plan to do a work placement or internship in Canada as part of your studies?
No

Do you have a signed letter of offer, contract of employment, or internship agreement from an employer in Canada?
No

Are you registered at a college or university in your country of citizenship?
No

Your results
International Experience Canada (IEC)

You may be eligible to come to Canada under International Experience Canada initiative.

You can create a profile in the following pool(s):

Working Holiday category
Old Dec 1st 2015, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

My brother has applied.

General question

Do you have to undergo a medical and apply for a police certificate for the IEC. I know it mentions it .

Last edited by chrissyb; Dec 1st 2015 at 6:57 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
My brother has applied.

General question

Do you have to undergo a medical and apply for a police certificate for the IEC. I know it mentions it .
You need a police cert. Medical is only required if he wants to work with children or in the healthcare sector.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 7:30 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
You need a police cert. Medical is only required if he wants to work with children or in the healthcare sector.
or if he has visited a specified country (there is a list on CIC website) within the last 6 months - usually countries with high levels of TB etc
Old Dec 1st 2015, 7:43 pm
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks- I guess he just waits to find out before applying for the police cert
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:06 pm
Banned

Snowy just found this great PDF showing the process.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/201...pplication.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.