IEC 2016

Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute
Default IEC 2016

Thought it was about the right time to get the next IEC thread going.

Looks like the IEC website is in the process of being updated, with the process looking to have been "completely" overhauled for 2016 season where candidates are put into a pool and selected at random:

How the pools work – International Experience Canada

Mods Edit: Please keep all IEC related questions in this thread, and before asking questions please do search the thread, or last years (which can be found here - http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...2015-a-846839/) as many questions have been asked and answered lots of times before, and also the official IEC page FAQ.

Good luck to all of you.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 30th 2015 at 7:18 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

SkierDave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC 2016

I've just been looking at it too. I'm hoping to do the IEC but when I do the "Find out if you're eligible to apply" test, it says I'm not eligable, even though I pass all the criteria for Determine your eligibility – International Experience Canada

Anyone else experiencing this?
Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's a pretty big change but probably a fairer system.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking today that I should start the annual thread, well done.

Apologies but I'm going to edit your post a bit, just to give the usual info, as I know it won't get read if I post it down here!

Good luck to all applying for the 2016 program.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:17 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I see they are adapting the Express Entry process into a simpler process for the working holiday.

Love to see how this is going to work. Yes it is fairer but people are still not going to get it as there will only be around 5000 permits for the UK.

Good luck to everyone. I think it worth the stress but I have to admit that I don't think I could have handled this again :S

Last edited by beckiwoo; Nov 30th 2015 at 7:29 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

156Nathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Big changes, are we to assume those who aren't registered with an organization to help them find work are no longer eligible? or is the system still updating?
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Ooof. I suppose in some ways random drawing is fairer, but (as a two time IEC winner), I feel immense sympathy for them - a lot more waiting and uncertainty for everyone (which was previously the case only for people on the wait list).

Particularly bad for people still on a 2014 one-year permit, expecting to apply for their new two-year one - impossible to make any plans for staying in Canada if it's just random draw, no way of knowing if you're going to get to stay or not, and if so how long to wait.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

SkierDave is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 156Nathan
Big changes, are we to assume those who aren't registered with an organization to help them find work are no longer eligible? or is the system still updating?
This is what I've discovered. Doing the online test saying no to an organisation says I'm not eligible, but answering yes states I am. Perhaps it will become clearer over the next few days/weeks.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

156Nathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SkierDave
This is what I've discovered. Doing the online test saying no to an organisation says I'm not eligible, but answering yes states I am. Perhaps it will become clearer over the next few days/weeks.
Yes, this is what I am hoping too, I successfully participated in the 2014 year, and was hoping to participate in the 2016 one. Homepage states

"International Experience Canada (IEC) provides young individuals the opportunity to travel and work in Canada. IEC is available in countries and territories that have a bilateral youth mobility agreement with Canada. If your country of citizenship does not have an agreement with Canada, you may be able to use a Recognized Organization to come to Canada under IEC."

I was under the impression that the UK does have a "bilateral youth mobility agreement" with Canada, so fingers crossed!
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's always said that, and Canada does have an agreement with the UK - their version is called 'SWAP'. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...ence/bilat.asp

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 30th 2015 at 7:39 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

Particularly bad for people still on a 2014 one-year permit, expecting to apply for their new two-year one - impossible to make any plans for staying in Canada if it's just random draw, no way of knowing if you're going to get to stay or not, and if so how long to wait.
Indeed, and also for those thinking of entering Canada as a visitor first in the hope of applying to IEC while there
Old Nov 30th 2015, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Indeed, and also for those thinking of entering Canada as a visitor first in the hope of applying to IEC while there
Excellent news IMHO. Its a privilege to get a WHV not a right so therefore applicants must adhere to the programme. You can still visit or extend your stay if already here so I don't see it as a deal breaker.
Living month to month in Canada isn't cheap if not working and Ive seen many IEC applicants state that getting the $2500 required funds can be difficult which I think is still too low.
How many might be encouraged to work under the table while waiting for approval?
Old Nov 30th 2015, 10:41 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to help my cousin fill this in, so from what I can see she needs to sign up with one of the organisations?
Old Nov 30th 2015, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's always said that, and Canada does have an agreement with the UK - their version is called 'SWAP'. International Mobility Program: Canadian interests – Reciprocal employment – International Experience Canada – Bilateral agreements

HTH.
You can also apply directly for the UK's Youth Mobility Scheme (Tier 5 Visa):

https://www.gov.uk/tier-5-youth-mobility/overview

I have never done this, but there is no reason why a young Canadian can't apply directly themselves, using the second link. I don't know how the costs compare. For the Irish WHV it is cheaper to DIY (for a young Canadian).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 30th 2015 at 11:09 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 11:09 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think the point is you can't DIY. If you don't say you're signed up with one of the organisations you get denied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.