Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Australia or Canada?

Australia or Canada?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:33 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I guess it's a shame you've got canadian pikeys moving in next door then.
you are not wrong let me tell you.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
I just want to live in a friendly, safe environment and give my child the best.
Surrey it is then.... Woking, Guildford?

Canada isnt just geographically close to the US, culturally its virtually identical in large part (except for the fixation with hockey...but dont tell the canadians for gods sake, they would have a fit)

Thankfully, most of the US is not really much like its depicted on TV.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 2nd 2009 at 9:37 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:35 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
i went to guildford once, lots of spiders there, big hairy ones with fangs and everything.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Normally, the people that say that kind of thing are middle class earnest ex-pats who in their desire to feel special are over eager to ingratiate themselves with the locals. So, come on then, what's your version of that?
I am a very down to earth person who has no desire to feel special. What I mean is that I would just feel like Im living back in Britain!!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by rae
i went to guildford once, lots of spiders there, big hairy ones with fangs and everything.
I think you have an obsession with animals/creatures!!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:40 pm
rae
Settled.

Canada isnt just geographically close to the US, culturally its virtually identical in large part (except for the fixation with hockey...but dont tell the canadians for gods sake, they would have a fit)

one thing i would say about canada and the US is i have yet to come across a really overbearing pushy loud canadian. i was only in san diego for 2 days when i came across my first american of this type and i don't have particularly fond memories of several other trips to various bits.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:43 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rae
did i ever say bears don't attack people? in fact i think i said something along the lines of thats exactly what they do. i don't trek through the woods, so it does not bother me. they don't come into my back yard as i live in the city, so it does not bother me. i did not move to canada to live in or very near to the mountains where this would effect my life so it does not bother me. if any of these were a consideration of the o/p then fair enough, and of course they are dangerous.

the point is this, if the o/p is moving to the coast, it will be hot, and i don't care what anyone is posting about snow as quite frankly that is bollox. once at the coast no doubt they will go in the water, so all the nasty things lurking there, may, may, effect you. also creepy crawlies in and around your home, and snakes, may effect you, as they are around your home no matter where you are it appears.

so, for an appraisal of daily life these are factors to consider, does not mean anything if you are not bothered, but they are factors nontheless.
Most people in OZ including me have never seen a snake in their property, but l guess there are a few spiders around , but considering no one has died from a spider bite in OZ in 30 years its not something anyone worries about. More people die from bee and wasp stings in the UK then snake and spider bites in OZ
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:44 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a very down to earth person who has no desire to feel special. What I mean is that I would just feel like Im living back in Britain!!
Fair enough. It's not a worry you'll have in Canada anyway - I don't know any areas where brits go uniquely, although I could be wrong and there is a 'little england' in Toronto or something.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:51 pm
Forum Regular

I want to be in Ontario because I have family in Windsor.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I want to be in Ontario because I have family in Windsor.
Windsor's a long was from Australia...
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:00 pm
rae
Settled.

I think you have an obsession with animals/creatures!!!!!
i hate spiders. i have no doubt what you and others have said about oz and these things is correct, but the mere fact they are possibly under your toilet seat to bite you in the nadger is enough for me.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:02 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by mohogony
Most people in OZ including me have never seen a snake in their property, but l guess there are a few spiders around , but considering no one has died from a spider bite in OZ in 30 years its not something anyone worries about. More people die from bee and wasp stings in the UK then snake and spider bites in OZ
here we go again, most people in oz, please provide some testimony from all these people as they keep getting quoted and stats on bee and wasp stings killing people in the uk.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:09 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by mohogony
this argument: an Appeal To Authority is made, but the authority is not named. For example, "Experts agree that ..", "scientists say .." or even "they say ..". This makes the information impossible to verify, and brings up the very real possibility that the arguer himself doesn't know who the experts are. In that case, he may just be spreading a rumor.

The situation is even worse if the arguer admits it's a rumor.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

Windsor's a long was from Australia...
That is if I go for Canada. Perth if I go for Australia
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rae
here we go again, most people in oz, please provide some testimony from all these people as they keep getting quoted and stats on bee and wasp stings killing people in the uk.
As I am from Britain I can confirm that an average of 6 people a year die in the UK from Wasp stings!! Mainly due to the fact that 3 in 100 people have an allergic reaction to wasp stings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.