Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Australia or Canada?

Australia or Canada?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:43 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
But we women know our place here. I find it much easier being told I'm only a woman rather than that North American women's equality bull.
You have a computer next to the kitchen sink?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

kungfupanda is on a distinguished road

We decided to live in Canada instead of Oz after we made a short landing in Toronto/Canada for activating our PR visas for 2 weeks in the beginning of this August. Actually we're qualified for both countries, but we think CA is better.

Our personal reasons for choosing Canada:
1. More IT job opportunities
2. Proximity to US
3. Better education system (of course we had no experience but only heard of)
4. Less raciasm (again heard of)
5. Changing seasons (Long time in hot weather is not bearable for me)
6. Property prices are relatively lower

Here plenty of thanks to Dorothy again for generously sharing her knowledge and experience of both countries.

KFP

Last edited by kungfupanda; Sep 2nd 2009 at 2:28 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:59 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Not swimming in the sea becasue you are affraid of sharks is like not flying because you are affraid of the plane crashing, its a one in a million chance you will be killed by a shark, its just being paranoid. Regarding jellyfish they are only in the beaches in the far northern tropical part of OZ where few people live, regarding snakes and spiders more people are killed by bees and wasps in the UK each year then snakes and spiders in OZ, No one has dies from a spider bite in OZ in 30 years.
Around 10 people a year are killed by the dangerous wildlife in OZ more are killed by falling trees. So if your not affraid of a tree falling on your head down under then you should'nt be affraid of the wildlife.
on the wildlife front it can't be that bad i suppose, as my friend has no intention of moving back or elsewhere in aus.
what i said previously in regard to the wildlife. my issue was you speaking on behalf of the whole of australia.

the points in contention appear to be Australia is not hot, it has no wildlife to worry about, and the locals are friendly. please feel free to post this on the MB2UK forum, i would be interested in the replies.
my reasons are my reasons simple as that.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:06 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hereandthere
I won't bore you by copying and pasting various links to bear attacks in North America, but of course we both know they happen and we both know the odds of it happening are low, although I think bears have killed more people in NA than sharks have in Australia. And we also know some people do get bears in their properties. I swim in the ocean in Aus without fear, it just requires education. Also, your jellyfish are limited to certain parts of Aus. Again, just eduation.

Anyway, to the OP, you can't go wrong in my view. I have spent time in both countries and have family in both countries and both offer a great future. Someone above made the good point that this might be about which one you can get into though. They have different requirements, and both are tightening up their immigration laws. Check it out by going direct to the respective government websites and get the right info from the start. And good luck wherever you wind up!

Rae

I'm going back on my word about not boring you but just checked out Wiki (not by itself a trustable source of course) and it states that there have been 107 fatal bear attacks in NA between 1900 and 2003, and 11 fatal shark attacks in Australia since 1950. It also adds that "there were more attacks and fatalities than have been recorded as shown here, particularly in Canada and Alaska" so I guess the number could be a lot higher than 107. In fact, nearly 40 were in Canada alone, including one where a black bear stalked and killed three boys, which sounds kinda scary to me, I gotta say. Until I just read this I had no idea how dangerous these things actually are.
did i ever say bears don't attack people? in fact i think i said something along the lines of thats exactly what they do. i don't trek through the woods, so it does not bother me. they don't come into my back yard as i live in the city, so it does not bother me. i did not move to canada to live in or very near to the mountains where this would effect my life so it does not bother me. if any of these were a consideration of the o/p then fair enough, and of course they are dangerous.

the point is this, if the o/p is moving to the coast, it will be hot, and i don't care what anyone is posting about snow as quite frankly that is bollox. once at the coast no doubt they will go in the water, so all the nasty things lurking there, may, may, effect you. also creepy crawlies in and around your home, and snakes, may effect you, as they are around your home no matter where you are it appears.

so, for an appraisal of daily life these are factors to consider, does not mean anything if you are not bothered, but they are factors nontheless.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:14 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
The thing is people imagine crazy shark deaths in their minds where they dont imagine dramatically being killed by a deadly falling tree.
As an aside I think if wildlife becomes a deciding factor on where you chose to spend the rest of your life you need to rethink things. Your more likely to be killed on the plane over to AUS than you are to be killed from wildlife living the rest of your life in AUS.

Cheers
i'll give you a choice then as it does not matter, you have two ways to die, one you walk through a forest on a nice gentle afternoon stroll and out of nowhere a tree falls, bang on the 'ead and thats you.
2nd option, while taking a nice dip in the warm sea, bobbing around you see a large fin pop up nearby, you start to panic, you turn and head for the shore. you look behind but the fin is gone, you know its somewhere deep below you in the dark. you continue, faster now, faster until you feel a gigantic blow to your midsection, you gasp for air as you are lifted out of the water. blood everywhere, excruciating pain as you feel dozens of razor sharp teeth ripping into your stomach and genitals. down into the water again, you are pushed and pulled from side to side. you feel your innards spill out and your body begin to separate and realise through total agony this is it.
well?

no i am sure that never crosses anyones mind when they go for a swim. you have to take a plane to get there, you don't have to swim though.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:33 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
i'll give you a choice then as it does not matter, you have two ways to die, one you walk through a forest on a nice gentle afternoon stroll and out of nowhere a tree falls, bang on the 'ead and thats you.
2nd option, while taking a nice dip in the warm sea, bobbing around you see a large fin pop up nearby, you start to panic, you turn and head for the shore. you look behind but the fin is gone, you know its somewhere deep below you in the dark. you continue, faster now, faster until you feel a gigantic blow to your midsection, you gasp for air as you are lifted out of the water. blood everywhere, excruciating pain as you feel dozens of razor sharp teeth ripping into your stomach and genitals. down into the water again, you are pushed and pulled from side to side. you feel your innards spill out and your body begin to separate and realise through total agony this is it.
well?

no i am sure that never crosses anyones mind when they go for a swim. you have to take a plane to get there, you don't have to swim though.
Very descriptive. You put me right off my banana cake
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:40 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

What about all those killer muskie in the lakes here in Canada And have you not seen the movie Lake Placid

Nearly took his arm off dontchaknow

Last edited by iaink; Sep 2nd 2009 at 3:50 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

You should get into writing with that description of the shark attack their chief. Too bad you didnt put forth such effort in your tale of getting hit in the head with a tree.

No your right you dont have to swim, and if the OP chooses not to swim than why would being attacked by a shark ever be an issue? As an alternative if they are swimmers and decide to go in the water than chances are nothing will ever happen to them, just as the chances are that their plane wont crash on the way over to Australia.

Most people who chose to live on the coast of Australia may most likely have some liking for being in or around water (an assumption and not trying to make a mass generalization). If you dont like the ocean than moving to the coast of AUS wouldnt be a selling point. The alternative would be to stay landlocked and hide in a box from the dangers of life.

<< Not the best alternative, my point for the OP would be to live your life and think reallistically about making wildlife a large part of your decision when mapping out the course of your life.

Originally Posted by rae
well?

Last edited by ShawnMcCrea; Sep 2nd 2009 at 4:51 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Bears and sharks are honestly not issues the typical Canadian or Australian deals with on a day by day basis, if at all, or ever. The average Canadian lives in urban areas, not the bush. If you're going to concern yourself with Canadian wildlife, I'd be more worried about raccoons, squirrels and seagulls.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:20 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Dont forget the Mosquito too That has the most impact on me I think

Very close to 50% of canadians live in "Rural" areas according to the last census.

In my opinion its a very toronto or vancouver centric attitute to think that canadians are city dwellers.

Up until the last census the majority of canadians did not in fact live in the major cities.

I live only 15 minutes drive north of the 401 and Ive seen bears up close and personal on two occasions now. Of course, it doesnt really factor into our reasoning for living here one way or the other any more that the recent tornados here do...

I will say though, as the thread is about Canada vs Australia, that the "rough guide" book on Australia is conspicuously different to the one for Canada in that its about an inch thicker....entirely due to the extra sections on "things that will kill you"

Last edited by iaink; Sep 2nd 2009 at 7:22 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:07 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Very close to 50% of canadians live in "Rural" areas according to the last census.

Year Urban Rural

1956 9,286,126 6,794,665
1961 11,068,848 7,169,399
1966 12,625,784 7,389,096
1971 14,114,970 7,453,340
1976 17,366,970 5,625,635
1981 18,435,927 5,907,254
1986 19,352,085 5,957,246
1991 20,906,875 6,389,985
1996 22,461,210 6,385,551
2001 23,908,211 6,098,883
2006 25,350,743 6,262,154
Source: Statistics Canada, censuses of population.
http://www45.statcan.gc.ca/2008/cgco_2008_001b-eng.htm
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Very close to 50% of canadians live in "Rural" areas according to the last census. In my opinion its a very toronto or vancouver centric attitute to think that canadians are city dwellers.
It's definitely a Toronto/Vancouver centric view, but the stats I've looked at suggest that approximately 80% of Canadians are urban dwellers, 20% are rural. I know that in BC, for example, a province of 3+ million people has 2+ million living in and around Greater Vancouver, and 300,000+ living around Victoria.

http://www45.statcan.gc.ca/2008/cgco_2008_001b-eng.htm

"In 2006, nearly 25 million people, more than 80% of Canadians, were living in urban areas. The proportion of urban residents is similar in the United States but smaller in the other G8 countries, with the exception of the United Kingdom, where it is close to 90%"

http://www12.statcan.ca/census-recen...50/p11-eng.cfm
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Oh well, Im just a redneck from the boonies anyway, so what do you expect

I must have been thinking of something else I guess Population in the "Big cities" (TO, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa. Montreal, Halifax) perhaps?

Technically of course I live in a "city"...the "City of Quinte West", so the census would have me down as non rural as the speed limit on my road is only 50kmh... I'm not saying that's typical of course. Its not your typical city view..

Last edited by iaink; Sep 2nd 2009 at 7:43 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 7:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have a source but I recall reading that Canada is one of the most urbanised countries, up there with the Netherlands and Hong Kong. I suppose it's that population pressed against the border thing.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

lovinlife is an unknown quantity at this point

Canada.

Having lived in Perth WA from March 06 to July 08 and a season loving person.....we chose Canada. I like Aus, cannot comment re east coast, except the people seem abit more with it than the WA ones and the shops sound like they stay open longer. Crazy shopping hours in Perth, like living in the early 80's and yes I know some people love going back in time to the old days, but not me! Daylight is longer on the east coast ( dark very early very quick in Perth and they have since voted against daylight saving again! ). Good schooling if you look around, we were very happy with that part of it. Private education is affordable for a large part of the population, starting at $1000 per year. If you want that? There is lots of very good things about Perth, but just too darn hot and not enough decent shops/culture for us. To us it is a very limited time place to live, after a couple of years it gets very boring! again, just our opinion......

Live in Alberta now, hot summers, long hours of daylight in summer. Yep its cold in winter..but nothing to make you stay indoors for, can be outdoors all year round and not be uncomfortable. Lots of stuff to do skiing, ice skating, canoe, rafting camping without the scary bugs! Perth is great if you love the beach, and the warm weather.

Canadian loving pom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.