Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Australia or Canada?

Australia or Canada?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 2:31 am
BE Enthusiast

hereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond reputehereandthere has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Originally Posted by rae
i was not making an outrageous generalisation, i was stating my personal reasons. if you want facts i can give you them straight from the horses mouth from someone who has lived in perth for over 3yrs. no longer swims in the sea due to shark attacks, has had poisonous snakes under his house, and has had redbacks in his backyard. fact.

some more facts if this is seriously in dispute.

Box Jelly fish - The box jellyfish is considered the world's most venomous marine creature. The box jellyfish has killed more people in Australia than stonefish, sharks and crocodiles combined.

*The Sydney Funnelweb spider is considered the world's most deadly spider. It is the only spider that has killed people in less than 2 hours. Its fangs are powerful enough to bite through gloves and fingernails. The only animals without immunity to the funnelweb's venom are humans and monkeys.
http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/facts.htm

i said as much in my post, canada to cold, aus to hot, personal preference. of course there are bear attacks, not heard any from wolves, i don't believe this was ever in dispute. one difference, i don't have any bears in my garden.
I won't bore you by copying and pasting various links to bear attacks in North America, but of course we both know they happen and we both know the odds of it happening are low, although I think bears have killed more people in NA than sharks have in Australia. And we also know some people do get bears in their properties. I swim in the ocean in Aus without fear, it just requires education. Also, your jellyfish are limited to certain parts of Aus. Again, just eduation.

Anyway, to the OP, you can't go wrong in my view. I have spent time in both countries and have family in both countries and both offer a great future. Someone above made the good point that this might be about which one you can get into though. They have different requirements, and both are tightening up their immigration laws. Check it out by going direct to the respective government websites and get the right info from the start. And good luck wherever you wind up!

Rae

I'm going back on my word about not boring you but just checked out Wiki (not by itself a trustable source of course) and it states that there have been 107 fatal bear attacks in NA between 1900 and 2003, and 11 fatal shark attacks in Australia since 1950. It also adds that "there were more attacks and fatalities than have been recorded as shown here, particularly in Canada and Alaska" so I guess the number could be a lot higher than 107. In fact, nearly 40 were in Canada alone, including one where a black bear stalked and killed three boys, which sounds kinda scary to me, I gotta say. Until I just read this I had no idea how dangerous these things actually are.

Last edited by hereandthere; Sep 2nd 2009 at 2:50 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Ya gotta watch those stalker bears. At first it's just a dinner date then they won't stop calling, sending flowers, texting. Next thing you know they show up at your workplace and start harrassing your family!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 3:21 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.firstpeople.us/pictures/b...-1600x1200.jpg
http://www.fansonline.net/images/cov...wolves_005.jpg

Last edited by Lord Vader; Sep 2nd 2009 at 3:25 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:03 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rae
i was not making an outrageous generalisation, i was stating my personal reasons. if you want facts i can give you them straight from the horses mouth from someone who has lived in perth for over 3yrs. no longer swims in the sea due to shark attacks, has had poisonous snakes under his house, and has had redbacks in his backyard. fact.

some more facts if this is seriously in dispute.

Box Jelly fish - The box jellyfish is considered the world's most venomous marine creature. The box jellyfish has killed more people in Australia than stonefish, sharks and crocodiles combined.

*The Sydney Funnelweb spider is considered the world's most deadly spider. It is the only spider that has killed people in less than 2 hours. Its fangs are powerful enough to bite through gloves and fingernails. The only animals without immunity to the funnelweb's venom are humans and monkeys.
http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/facts.htm

i said as much in my post, canada to cold, aus to hot, personal preference. of course there are bear attacks, not heard any from wolves, i don't believe this was ever in dispute. one difference, i don't have any bears in my garden.
Not swimming in the sea becasue you are affraid of sharks is like not flying because you are affraid of the plane crashing, its a one in a million chance you will be killed by a shark, its just being paranoid. Regarding jellyfish they are only in the beaches in the far northern tropical part of OZ where few people live, regarding snakes and spiders more people are killed by bees and wasps in the UK each year then snakes and spiders in OZ, No one has dies from a spider bite in OZ in 30 years.
Around 10 people a year are killed by the dangerous wildlife in OZ more are killed by falling trees. So if your not affraid of a tree falling on your head down under then you should'nt be affraid of the wildlife.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:05 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

2nd linky no workee
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:12 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alan2005
To be honest - the wildlife would put me off too. Still I guess you get used to dealing with it if you live there. Anyway, on the plus side for oz, I find aussies more friendly and humourous than Canadians on the whole; probably because they drink like brits. I'll add that I'm not sure if this is because i've only really met aussie ex-pats - they may be different to regular aussies.
l guess people like me who actually live in OZ don't understand why people overseas are so affraid of the OZ wildlife , its not something we ever even think about or worry about apart from some people who have a spider phobia or something.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:17 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
l guess people like me who actually live in OZ don't understand why people overseas are so affraid of the OZ wildlife , its not something we ever even think about or worry about apart from some people who have a spider phobia or something.
I say it would put me off too, but it's not like it even crossed my mind to go there.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:02 am
Banned

About OZ being too 'unbearably hot', the main news story down here in OZ at the moment is about a government minister who got lost in the snow and the attempt to rescue him before he froze to death.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:09 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I don't know. Australians I've met haven't complained about snakes, spiders etc.
That's because most Australians live in London
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:27 am
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Ya gotta watch those stalker bears. At first it's just a dinner date then they won't stop calling, sending flowers, texting. Next thing you know they show up at your workplace and start harrassing your family!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

ShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really niceShawnMcCrea is just really nice

Couldnt have said it better myself. Unless you have a genuine phobia about spiders or something than this really should NOT be a concern.

The thing is people imagine crazy shark deaths in their minds where they dont imagine dramatically being killed by a deadly falling tree. This seems to create a fear and misconception in the public that getting killed by an animal is a lot more likely than what it is.

Stating random facts about how deadly the wildlife in Australia doesnt seem to help the publics perception either. We have "redbacks" (similar to a black widow) here in southern Ontario and nobody gives them a thought.

Being all over AUS in a period of 3 months going through the rainforest, in the water etc. I didnt have an encounter and the thought didnt even occur to me. Not to say it wont to other people, and the jellyfish concern can be genuine in certain seasons but they have measures up to protect the public from this.

As an aside I think if wildlife becomes a deciding factor on where you chose to spend the rest of your life you need to rethink things. Your more likely to be killed on the plane over to AUS than you are to be killed from wildlife living the rest of your life in AUS.

Cheers

Originally Posted by mohogony
Not swimming in the sea becasue you are affraid of sharks is like not flying because you are affraid of the plane crashing, its a one in a million chance you will be killed by a shark, its just being paranoid. Regarding jellyfish they are only in the beaches in the far northern tropical part of OZ where few people live, regarding snakes and spiders more people are killed by bees and wasps in the UK each year then snakes and spiders in OZ, No one has dies from a spider bite in OZ in 30 years.
Around 10 people a year are killed by the dangerous wildlife in OZ more are killed by falling trees. So if your not affraid of a tree falling on your head down under then you should'nt be affraid of the wildlife.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I loved the rampant chauvinism in Australia as a holiday amusement but it would be more of a concern in considering whether or not to live there than the faint risk of being bitten by a diggerywhatever.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:24 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I loved the rampant chauvinism in Australia as a holiday amusement but it would be more of a concern in considering whether or not to live there than the faint risk of being bitten by a diggerywhatever.
But we women know our place here. I find it much easier being told I'm only a woman rather than that North American women's equality bull.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:32 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

But we women know our place here. I find it much easier being told I'm only a woman rather than that North American women's equality bull.
You arent "Dorothy the Dinosaur" by any chance, are you?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 1:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Canadian in Australia. Funny enough, I'm from southern Ontario (not Windsor, but my grandma was from Windsor England) and moved to Perth Australia.

No, I don't think you would enjoy Windsor Ontario. It's a very industrial city just across the river from Detroit, another industrial city. If you are looking for southwestern Ontario you may like London or Kitchener better. Towns of 135000 or so are not going to have the amenities you're looking for unless they are close to larger centres, though.

Take a read of the wiki article and then take a read of the relevant immigration sites to see whether you qualify for a visa to either.
Have you ever been to Wrexham?

Gunners Candy...hello and welcome to BE. I used to live in Rossett.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 2nd 2009 at 1:41 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.