Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Australia or Canada?

Australia or Canada?

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice
Default Re: Australia or Canada?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I answered you on the Butler question in the Aussie section. My kids go to public (state) school and others on the site will tell you schools are shit, but I'll tell you that my kids are doing just fine. Paying thousands of $ per year to send them to private school does not make your (not YOUR, but a general your) child smarter, better, less likely to be a criminal. Some of the little tossers I've seen at private school make my kids' so-called crap state school seem like Eton College.

It's not always hot here, though Iain. Where I live in Perth we have distinct winter and summer seasons. Summers are definitely hot, with temps regularly in the mid to high 30s but winters are cold and wet with temperatures down to single digits. It's now spring here and 13 degrees this morning. Yesterday morning it was raining and +2.

Canada and Australia are culturally very similar in my opinion. Pretty much the main difference I've noticed here is the wealth of immigrants. Funny that. I guess it's because I'm one myself that I noticed how many there really are.
Hi Dorothy

Didn't realise you were the same person!!!

Thanks for all your help. I don't really want the extra cost of paying for private education as I agree with you. The private schools near where I live are no better than the state schools with regards to social behaviour.

With regards to the immigrants that is another issue I have, in that I don't want to be surrounded by British people (no offence).
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have you ever been to Wrexham?

Gunners Candy...hello and welcome to BE. I used to live in Rossett.
Hi Jersey Girl

I live in Tanyfron. I am looking for a town around the same size as Wrexham.

My nephew was mugged by a couple of guys with a machette on Thursday in Rossett while he was waiting for a bus home!!

Police say he was unlucky in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:02 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
Hi Dorothy

Didn't realise you were the same person!!!

Thanks for all your help. I don't really want the extra cost of paying for private education as I agree with you. The private schools near where I live are no better than the state schools with regards to social behaviour.

With regards to the immigrants that is another issue I have, in that I don't want to be surrounded by British people (no offence).
Normally, the people that say that kind of thing are middle class earnest ex-pats who in their desire to feel special are over eager to ingratiate themselves with the locals. So, come on then, what's your version of that?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:05 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What about all those killer muskie in the lakes here in Canada And have you not seen the movie Lake Placid

http://www.musky.ca/ontario-record-muskie3.jpg

http://www.muskiematt.com/images/Mus...Hold%20web.jpg
Nearly took his arm off dontchaknow
good grief. i have no idea what that is and i don't want to find out. i take it thats like a giant pike and equally as nasty is it?
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
good grief. i have no idea what that is and i don't want to find out. i take it thats like a giant pike and equally as nasty is it?
And I had you down as the sort of person that would smash the radio while others were complaining about needing a bigger boat.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:10 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
And I had you down as the sort of person that would smash the radio while others were complaining about needing a bigger boat.
concerning people maybe, but small crawly things, and large things with teeth no thanks. i managed to skip jungle training in the military and bloody glad i did too.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:12 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
Yes, it is a giant pike but called a Muskallunge or Muskie. It is every Ontario fisherman's dream to catch one.
http://www.ontariomuskiefishing.ca/
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:12 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by ShawnMcCrea
You should get into writing with that description of the shark attack their chief. Too bad you didnt put forth such effort in your tale of getting hit in the head with a tree.

No your right you dont have to swim, and if the OP chooses not to swim than why would being attacked by a shark ever be an issue? As an alternative if they are swimmers and decide to go in the water than chances are nothing will ever happen to them, just as the chances are that their plane wont crash on the way over to Australia.

Most people who chose to live on the coast of Australia may most likely have some liking for being in or around water (an assumption and not trying to make a mass generalization). If you dont like the ocean than moving to the coast of AUS wouldnt be a selling point. The alternative would be to stay landlocked and hide in a box from the dangers of life.

<< Not the best alternative, my point for the OP would be to live your life and think reallistically about making wildlife a large part of your decision when mapping out the course of your life.
you know i would have put more into the tree but there is very little in the way of book and film on killer trees to draw from, apart from lord of the rings which i just thought of while typing.
i hope the living in a box thing is not a sly dig at me, uncalled for if it is. i have not slagged oz off, quite the contrary, just gave my reasons for not going which may or may not be relevent to the o/p or indeed at all.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:13 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Yes, it is a giant pike but called a Muskallunge or Muskie. It is every Ontario fisherman's dream to catch one.
http://www.ontariomuskiefishing.ca/
is there a history of it killing people
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:15 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Normally, the people that say that kind of thing are middle class earnest ex-pats who in their desire to feel special are over eager to ingratiate themselves with the locals. So, come on then, what's your version of that?
where do i stand when i say i don't want brits or canadians living next to me but would quite fancy an italian.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:16 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
is there a history of it killing people
Only through cardiac arrest trying to pull one into the boat.

They will take the feet off geese though
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:18 pm
rae
Settled.

Originally Posted by iaink
Only through cardiac arrest trying to pull one into the boat.

They will take the feet off geese though
i hate animals like this, bitey horrible things, long may they be fished to extinction.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by rae
where do i stand when i say i don't want brits or canadians living next to me but would quite fancy an italian.
I guess it's a shame you've got canadian pikeys moving in next door then.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lovinlife
Canada.

Having lived in Perth WA from March 06 to July 08 and a season loving person.....we chose Canada. I like Aus, cannot comment re east coast, except the people seem abit more with it than the WA ones and the shops sound like they stay open longer. Crazy shopping hours in Perth, like living in the early 80's and yes I know some people love going back in time to the old days, but not me! Daylight is longer on the east coast ( dark very early very quick in Perth and they have since voted against daylight saving again! ). Good schooling if you look around, we were very happy with that part of it. Private education is affordable for a large part of the population, starting at $1000 per year. If you want that? There is lots of very good things about Perth, but just too darn hot and not enough decent shops/culture for us. To us it is a very limited time place to live, after a couple of years it gets very boring! again, just our opinion......

Live in Alberta now, hot summers, long hours of daylight in summer. Yep its cold in winter..but nothing to make you stay indoors for, can be outdoors all year round and not be uncomfortable. Lots of stuff to do skiing, ice skating, canoe, rafting camping without the scary bugs! Perth is great if you love the beach, and the warm weather.

Canadian loving pom
Thank you for your information.

We are lucky in that we qualify for both Countries.

I have to say that the wildlife in either Country is not an issue. I don't have a huge phobia of spiders/sharks/bears etc

Family already visit both Countries so that is not a huge issue.

On the weather side I do love the sun however I am conscious about the fact that when I go on holiday I'm lying on the beach or chilling out. I am sure that getting on with your normal day to day living and working in the sun is slightly different!
I hate the British winter as it's dull, wet and miserable and gets dark so early. I don't mind the snow and crisp cold weather just hate the rain!!!

We are both very sociable and love to meet new people. I am slightly concerned that we will feel isolated in Perth. My fears with Canada is that it is so close to America (don't know why that scares me!! lol) Probably because its such a huge Country compared to Britain and everything you see on the televisin is about crime!!!

I just want to live in a friendly, safe environment and give my child the best.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
Hi Jersey Girl

I live in Tanyfron. I am looking for a town around the same size as Wrexham.

My nephew was mugged by a couple of guys with a machette on Thursday in Rossett while he was waiting for a bus home!!

Police say he was unlucky in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Wow...a small sleepy little village like Rossett...bloody hell!!!!

I've only been on holiday to Oz but there is no way I could live there. It's like stepping back in time and far too far away from the UK. I've only been to Ontario...my daughter lives in Toronto and loves it. She's in her mid twenties and single to that's probably why. You have easy access to the US and it's only a few hours away from the UK and Europe. The winters are very cold but the days are usually sunny.

Edit: Take a look in MBTTUK forum and read some of the threads posted by mainly expats living in Oz...it will give you an idea of the downside to life there. There are also a few from people moving back from Canada.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=61

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 2nd 2009 at 9:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.