Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Whinging Pom House seller

Whinging Pom House seller

Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Whinging Pom House seller

Originally Posted by Santos
Is anyone keeping hold of any property? I've got 3 apartments and am undecided as to whether to keep hold or sell.
Hi Santos, we are selling (well thats the plan anyway) - Have you looked into the tax implications of keeping an investment property. I dont know about it myself just something to consider.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

Santos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Hi Santos, we are selling (well thats the plan anyway) - Have you looked into the tax implications of keeping an investment property. I dont know about it myself just something to consider.
Hi Hayles,

It's definately something to consider. Think part of it is a safety net, the property market has been pretty steady up here for a few years where as I know nothing of the Australian market. Will have to research more.

Cheers

Paul
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Hi Hayles,

It's definately something to consider. Think part of it is a safety net, the property market has been pretty steady up here for a few years where as I know nothing of the Australian market. Will have to research more.

Cheers

Paul
Good luck Paul. Let us know what you decide to do.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:13 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Im dreading Christmas - I wish this agent would phone me back so I know if I am going to be here for Christmas.

I have got a few pressies, the baby's birthday is the 1st December so struggle think about Christmas until after that. Plus Dh's birthday is boxing day - yuck!
dont mention christmas
we are going to be in adelaide and all of our possessions are going to be in a container somewhere at sea
kids want to know when we are putting up our christmas tree - i said march
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Santos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant future

Good luck Paul. Let us know what you decide to do.
Thanks, I will.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:15 am
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hayles,

Cheers

Paul
those 'in the know' think that the uk market is going to be static for a bit and the oz market is going to keep growing ... mind you i dont know how true this is
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Is anyone keeping hold of any property? I've got 3 apartments and am undecided as to whether to keep hold or sell.
We are in theory keeping 2 rental properties and selling them once the market over here has improved. However, sonce we don't seem to be able to shift our main house, we may turn it around and sell the renatl properties and keep the main house. (Although we wouldn't want to do this as the main house needs a lot of maintenance.)

Hi Hayles,

Cheers

Paul
The tax implications on rental income once you are in Oz are good - so long as you negatively gear. I haven't looked into what happens if you sell the property after moving. I'm sure you are liable for CGT but not sure what the position re Australian tax is if CTG has already been paid.

Hey girls - you didn't know I had another 2 properties to sell did you. I will never be able to leave this thread!!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:18 am
sneaking a peek ...

Originally Posted by Fly Away

Hey girls - you didn't know I had another 2 properties to sell did you. I will never be able to leave this thread!!
I knew this you told me ages ago - cant remember what we were talking about at the time

EDIT to add - yes i do we were talking about keeping a business in the uk or moving them to oz

Last edited by Tiggs+Graz; Nov 5th 2007 at 12:19 am. Reason: remembered!!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

We are in theory keeping 2 rental properties and selling them once the market over here has improved. However, sonce we don't seem to be able to shift our main house, we may turn it around and sell the renatl properties and keep the main house. (Although we wouldn't want to do this as the main house needs a lot of maintenance.)

The tax implications on rental income once you are in Oz are good - so long as you negatively gear. I haven't looked into what happens if you sell the property after moving. I'm sure you are liable for CGT but not sure what the position re Australian tax is if CTG has already been paid.

Cheers for that mate.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tiggs+Graz
I knew this you told me ages ago - cant remember what we were talking about at the time

EDIT to add - yes i do we were talking about keeping a business in the uk or moving them to oz
The worst thing is, we haven't even completed on one of them yet! We exchanged a year ago, as it is a new build property and are just waiting for them to finish it. It has theoretically gone up in value, but it may not sell even if we decided to. (Although, it is in a lovely seaside village with seaviews so someone should want it!!)

So I am both selling and buying at the moment. AGHHH!
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:29 am
sneaking a peek ...

The worst thing is, we haven't even completed on one of them yet! We exchanged a year ago, as it is a new build property and are just waiting for them to finish it. It has theoretically gone up in value, but it may not sell even if we decided to. (Although, it is in a lovely seaside village with seaviews so someone should want it!!)

So I am both selling and buying at the moment. AGHHH!
you must be mad

so are you going to sell up straight away or hang onto the other houses for a while?
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

you must be mad

I thought we had established this!

so are you going to sell up straight away or hang onto the other houses for a while?

We don't know! We were going to keep them as a fall back. However, we may just put the newbuild straight back on the market.

The other property has a long term tenant. We were planning on remortgaging as much as poss, then selling when the tenant leaves. We wouldn't want to chuck them out as they are good tenants. However, if our house doesn't sell, we might be forced to sell to release the equity.

OMG. Imagine having 3 houses on the market at the same time. AGHHHHH.
Old Nov 5th 2007, 12:53 am
sneaking a peek ...

We don't know! We were going to keep them as a fall back. However, we may just put the newbuild straight back on the market.

The other property has a long term tenant. We were planning on remortgaging as much as poss, then selling when the tenant leaves. We wouldn't want to chuck them out as they are good tenants. However, if our house doesn't sell, we might be forced to sell to release the equity.

OMG. Imagine having 3 houses on the market at the same time. AGHHHHH.
that doesnt even bear thinking about

well surveyor been and gone - nice bloke, very chatty, terrible jokes
said everything was fine and that his report is done electronically so will be with buyers mortgage company by the end of today

i am actually beginning to think that we might be completed before we fly
Old Nov 5th 2007, 1:00 am
Home Owner

Driver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud ofDriver_Once_More has much to be proud of

good luck to all the sellers here, .............. we just made an offer on another house, a respectable offer, just have to wait and see
Old Nov 5th 2007, 1:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

that doesnt even bear thinking about

well surveyor been and gone - nice bloke, very chatty, terrible jokes
said everything was fine and that his report is done electronically so will be with buyers mortgage company by the end of today

i am actually beginning to think that we might be completed before we fly
Great news!!

I assumed you had finished cleaning and were waiting for the surveyor when you popped up again! So he was pretty quick! So long as the rest of the paperwork is there, the buyers should have a mortgage offer pretty soon.

Fingers crossed for a completion before you fly!! Sending K's if it lets me!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.