Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Aug 1st 2013, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Fair dues, you put a very good case for London.

Just a few comments, you wouldn't expect me not to and go away that easily. In no particular order:

It is the proximity to the CBD and that most of these things are near each other that adds a lot to Melbourne's claim. London's facilities are more spread out. The London Olympic stadium will be unused until 2015 and has been used about once in the last year. They had a meet there over the weekend and now it will be redeveloped and used next for rugby WC and then the Hammers first season there in the following year. Some legacy.

Pedantic but Ascot isn't in London, it's in Berkshire; I could have added the motor cycle events at Phillip Island but that's not Melbourne.

Sport in the UK - Olympics and much of the success achieved there - is very much down to the Government funding and The Lottery. Just Google to see how much was pumped into the Olympics and target sports like cycling, rowing, athletics etc. Don't kid yourself that Australian sport is government funded and UK sport isn't.

You make out that some grounds are single purpose and then you laud that others host multi-sports, can't have it both ways.

Yes, London is a hot bed of soccer but not to the same extent as Manchester recently. You would be lucky to get the worst seat at the Emirates, Stamford Bridge etc for under $150 a head.

Clubs (or rather oligarchs and multi billionaires) own soccer venues in London; essentially the council owns MCG and Etihad. I know which way I prefer it and what ticket prices I'd
prefer to pay.

Your starter for 10!

Firstly the Melbourne banner is clearly up at any sporting event within a 100km radius of any sporting even. The fact that Londons sporting venues are spread out is because of there history. They share the love. The Football clubs are still played in the local community they belong to and not altogether in some generic football stadium.

Like I said, sports fans in London pay the real cost of attending. I love sport and attend many of Melbournes sporting events. Will be at the MCG tomorrow supporting the Tigers. Not sure how good I would feel about that taxpayer susidy if I wasn't a huge sports fan or lived in country Victoria. Why are there no AFL teams in country Vic.

Olympics is always a government funded event anywhere in the world. But Londons professional sporting codes are not government funded or played in municipal owned stadia at the expense of the general taxpayer. At the last state election Brumby offererd to spend $500 million refurbishing the MCG if reelected whilst proposing to cut money to hospitals.
No professional sport stands on it's vown two feet in Melbourne. I would rather some billionaire was footing the bill and the people who attend pay the going rate.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Firstly the Melbourne banner is clearly up at any sporting event within a 100km radius of any sporting even. The fact that Londons sporting venues are spread out is because of there history. They share the love. The Football clubs are still played in the local community they belong to and not altogether in some generic football stadium.

Like I said, sports fans in London pay the real cost of attending. I love sport and attend many of Melbournes sporting events. Will be at the MCG tomorrow supporting the Tigers. Not sure how good I would feel about that taxpayer susidy if I wasn't a huge sports fan or lived in country Victoria. Why are there no AFL teams in country Vic.

Olympics is always a government funded event anywhere in the world. But Londons professional sporting codes are not government funded or played in municipal owned stadia at the expense of the general taxpayer. At the last state election Brumby offererd to spend $500 million refurbishing the MCG if reelected whilst proposing to cut money to hospitals.
No professional sport stands on it's vown two feet in Melbourne. I would rather some billionaire was footing the bill and the people who attend pay the going rate.
If someone is silly enough to pay Terry etc over £200K a week, a week and that's just one member of the squad then someone has to pay and that's the spectator and the suckers who buy seats and each of their 7 annual strips.

We can argue on whether it's better to have a Russian or American footing part of the bill or the government. We could also argue on priorities for government spending. Remember the UK spent over £10 billion on the Olympics whilst the NHS is in a shambles and hospitals closing so don't come the Brumby proposed this or that as though it's unique.

I could give you a history reminder on how the AFL started out with 12 teams, 11 from Melbourne and one from country Victoria and how no country centre could support an AFL team now (look how much positive discrimination they give to teams from Sydney, Perth, Adelaide and the Gold Coast and they have sufficient people to draw on). I don't like the way the AFL has 'Americanised' the sport so I don't defend them. My beloved Footscray got shafted - Fitzroy Lions and South Melbourne Swans more so to let Brisbane and Sydney in but in pure economic terms 11 professional teams from Melbourne wasn't viable when they wanted to open it up to the other capital cities. (London, twice as big - Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Fulham, QPR, Palace, Charlton, Millwall, Brentford, Orient - the latter 2 get 4,000 on a good day, 9 clubs really.)

How much do you think the collective debt of the above football clubs would be? A generic stadium as you call it makes economic sense. Who wants the MCG and Etihad used once a week or once a fortnight just to satisfy some desire to have one sport only. How many of the 11 London stadia are 'community owned'?

Oh and we lived for a while in Bendigo so I know lots of country people look forward to a visit to the smoke to watch a test match, AFL, Aussie Open or whatever and don't begrudge the spending

Last edited by OzTennis; Aug 1st 2013 at 10:59 am.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

A generic stadium as you call it makes economic sense. Who wants the MCG and Etihad used once a week or once a fortnight just to satisfy some desire to have one sport only. How many of the 11 London stadia are 'community owned'?
I have often thought that London only really needs about 3 or 4 soccer stadiums at most. It would be better economically, and also remove most of the ugly territorial side of things that can pervade the game from time to time. So really, we would be talking Wembley plus 2 or 3 others. Also Manchester and Liverpool could do with one each at most, perhaps even just share one between the two cities.

Anyway... anyone aware there's cricket test underway? Surprisingly Watson hasn't gone on an LBW yet.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:23 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
I have often thought that London only really needs about 3 or 4 soccer stadiums at most. It would be better economically, and also remove most of the ugly territorial side of things that can pervade the game from time to time. So really, we would be talking Wembley plus 2 or 3 others. Also Manchester and Liverpool could do with one each at most, perhaps even just share one between the two cities.

Anyway... anyone aware there's cricket test underway? Surprisingly Watson hasn't gone on an LBW yet.
Gone but not LBW this time - for a change
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse

Agree on London needing fewer stadia and ground sharing but will never happen, they're too territorial. Germany and Italy has council owned facilities and ground sharing and clubs are not permitted to amass massive debts; in Germany particularly. If you can't afford the wages or the transfer fee you don't get the player. Man Utd has debt of £370 mill; having recently re-structured it down from nearly twice that amount - the Glasser family use it as a vehicle for leveraging more and more debt.

Anyway, back to cricket, decent start; Rogers doing well, bit sticky now but lineup looks better with Clarke at 4 and Warner at 5.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Pathetic umpy and 3rd ump! Bat hits pad, no hotspot, clear gap between bat and ball; out??
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:52 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Pathetic umpy and 3rd ump! Bat hits pad, no hotspot, clear gap between bat and ball; out??
I don't know - I get why the umpire gave him out, but shocking decision from the review
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:55 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

No noise, no hotspot, not out. Seems simple enough. The umpiring just keeps getting better.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:59 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Absolute shit decision.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

If someone is silly enough to pay Terry etc over £200K a week, a week and that's just one member of the squad then someone has to pay and that's the spectator and the suckers who buy seats and each of their 7 annual strips.

We can argue on whether it's better to have a Russian or American footing part of the bill or the government. We could also argue on priorities for government spending. Remember the UK spent over £10 billion on the Olympics whilst the NHS is in a shambles and hospitals closing so don't come the Brumby proposed this or that as though it's unique.

I could give you a history reminder on how the AFL started out with 12 teams, 11 from Melbourne and one from country Victoria and how no country centre could support an AFL team now (look how much positive discrimination they give to teams from Sydney, Perth, Adelaide and the Gold Coast and they have sufficient people to draw on). I don't like the way the AFL has 'Americanised' the sport so I don't defend them. My beloved Footscray got shafted - Fitzroy Lions and South Melbourne Swans more so to let Brisbane and Sydney in but in pure economic terms 11 professional teams from Melbourne wasn't viable when they wanted to open it up to the other capital cities. (London, twice as big - Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Fulham, QPR, Palace, Charlton, Millwall, Brentford, Orient - the latter 2 get 4,000 on a good day, 9 clubs really.)

How much do you think the collective debt of the above football clubs would be? A generic stadium as you call it makes economic sense. Who wants the MCG and Etihad used once a week or once a fortnight just to satisfy some desire to have one sport only. How many of the 11 London stadia are 'community owned'?

Oh and we lived for a while in Bendigo so I know lots of country people look forward to a visit to the smoke to watch a test match, AFL, Aussie Open or whatever and don't begrudge the spending
London Olympics generated about the same amount of money as was spent on hosting the games. During a huge recession the money spent created jobs in a time of need.

At the end of the day London has better sporting facilities than Melbourne and more prestigious events. All this in a city that doesn't feel the need to claim on an almost weekly basis that it's the sporting capital of the world.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:18 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Some Aussies on Facebook amazingly (predictably) blaming England for the decisions.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:26 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Some Aussies on Facebook amazingly (predictably) blaming England for the decisions.
It's obviously a conspiracy.....talk about bad losers
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:27 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Was there another umpire on the grassy knoll ??
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:37 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Shocking decision, I don't think anyone can deny that.

Honours pretty even so far on a good batting deck.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:39 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I'll add to the bottom of my lengthily list of reasons why I won't bother with Facebook

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.