Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Aug 2nd 2013, 12:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's kind of funny that this is the first time the aussie batting hasn't collapsed - and all they can talk about is bad umpiring decisions. 303 for 2 vs 303 for 3 really doesn't make a difference in the essentials.

It's what I mean about they expect success and bemoan failure - if it had been England and the English in this position a few years back, we'd have been dancing in the streets that the batting hadn't stuffed up again.
Um errr um ...... its england complaining about umpiring today.

The batting hasn't collapsed as they are batting first on a belter. Wait til days 4 and 5.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 7:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
dare I say this has got draw written all over it yet?? this is gonna be as much a test of aussie tactics as it is their ability.
Hope springs eternal? No I tend to agree, I can't see our bowling attack running through the England line-up twice on this wicket. The only thing is England will have to bat last but I'm not sure Lyon's the boy to exploit a turning wicket, Smith might trouble them more.

Does anyone else notice how Prior shouts ooh, aaah, oooh, aaah to nearly every ball? Whether it goes to the boundary or gets left he reckons a wicket was in the offing! I've got to the point where I mute the sound when England are bowling.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Disgraceful antics by Australia regarding the Kawaja decision, this is cricket, the umpire made an error but in cricket you get on with it. I used to support DRS but I can now see what effect it's having on the soul of cricket. Players always took bad decisions on the chin, bit of head shaking walking off and that was it. Sutherland demanding answers is crass and the guy is probably dping it to deflect attention from his woefull tenure as ceo of Australian cricket.

As for Kevin Rudd tweeting it was the worst decision he has ever seen well what a complete and utter knob that man is, I doubt very much he was even watching but told by one of his spin doctors that now would be a good time to send a tweet. Wanker.

Bad decisions even themselves out in test matches just like they did at Trent Bridge and the team that plays the best cricket nearly always prevails.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:10 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
dare I say this has got draw written all over it yet?? this is gonna be as much a test of aussie tactics as it is their ability.
I can't see it being a draw with the pitch deteriorating, will be clearer after England have a bat.

A few quick wickets tonight will come in handy.

Originally Posted by GarryP
It's kind of funny that this is the first time the aussie batting hasn't collapsed - and all they can talk about is bad umpiring decisions. 303 for 2 vs 303 for 3 really doesn't make a difference in the essentials.

It's what I mean about they expect success and bemoan failure - if it had been England and the English in this position a few years back, we'd have been dancing in the streets that the batting hadn't stuffed up again.
They do tend to focus on the negatives but this is through the filter of the mass media. I find talking to yer average Aussie provides a more sane view. But maybe I just pick the right people to talk to.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:12 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
Disgraceful antics by Australia regarding the Kawaja decision, this is cricket, the umpire made an error but in cricket you get on with it. I used to support DRS but I can now see what effect it's having on the soul of cricket. Players always took bad decisions on the chin, bit of head shaking walking off and that was it. Sutherland demanding answers is crass and the guy is probably dping it to deflect attention from his woefull tenure as ceo of Australian cricket.

As for Kevin Rudd tweeting it was the worst decision he has ever seen well what a complete and utter knob that man is, I doubt very much he was even watching but told by one of his spin doctors that now would be a good time to send a tweet. Wanker.

Bad decisions even themselves out in test matches just like they did at Trent Bridge and the team that plays the best cricket nearly always prevails.
At least the sight of John Howard trying to bowl had comedy value. This was just Rudd doing his Man Of The People schtick. Still better than Abbott though, what a choice ...
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:19 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

CA are not demanding answers as you say. They are seeking clarification on the ruling. England did the same after the Trott dismissal in the first test.

I do have a problem with the Aussie media and commentators all of a sudden demanding for the technology to be canned. They were quite happy to taunt the Indians for not wanting it when results were going the Aussie's way. Suddenly they get a few crap calls which have been happening since day dot of the DRS system and it now has to be canned.

The whole "worst decision ever" BS all sh!ts me. It was nowhere near the worst ever. In fact, Trott's dismissal was much much worse. After all the Kawajha incident was following DRS protocol. Unless the 3rd umpire can conclusively prove the onfield call was incorrect, he must stay with the decision. I agree, in hindsight that it was conclusive (with the benefit of snicko, which wasn't available at the time). However, when he was making the call it appeared to deviate after leaving the bat AND there was a sound. This was enough doubt in the 3rd umpire's mind to stay with the onfield call.

The Trott dismissal on the other hand went completely against the DRS protocol. On field umpire called it not out, 3rd umpire somehow did not see the inside edge (which I still cannot believe), he certainly had no conclusive proof that he didn't edge and so should not have overturned and it should have stayed with the on field call. Instead the fat tw@t overturned it!
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis

Does anyone else notice how Prior shouts ooh, aaah, oooh, aaah to nearly every ball? Whether it goes to the boundary or gets left he reckons a wicket was in the offing! I've got to the point where I mute the sound when England are bowling.
You must be a very sensitive soul. In Australia we get the sky coverage on foxtel and I can not hear Prior making that much noise if any at all. It's hardly Sharapova.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

I think everyone is getting pretty sick of repeated incompetence. It's beyond a joke now for both teams
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
CA are not demanding answers as you say. They are seeking clarification on the ruling. England did the same after the Trott dismissal in the first test.

I do have a problem with the Aussie media and commentators all of a sudden demanding for the technology to be canned. They were quite happy to taunt the Indians for not wanting it when results were going the Aussie's way. Suddenly they get a few crap calls which have been happening since day dot of the DRS system and it now has to be canned.

The whole "worst decision ever" BS all sh!ts me. It was nowhere near the worst ever. In fact, Trott's dismissal was much much worse. After all the Kawajha incident was following DRS protocol. Unless the 3rd umpire can conclusively prove the onfield call was incorrect, he must stay with the decision. I agree, in hindsight that it was conclusive (with the benefit of snicko, which wasn't available at the time). However, when he was making the call it appeared to deviate after leaving the bat AND there was a sound. This was enough doubt in the 3rd umpire's mind to stay with the onfield call.

The Trott dismissal on the other hand went completely against the DRS protocol. On field umpire called it not out, 3rd umpire somehow did not see the inside edge (which I still cannot believe), he certainly had no conclusive proof that he didn't edge and so should not have overturned and it should have stayed with the on field call. Instead the fat tw@t overturned it!
Fair comment and probably an over reaction on my part after hearing about it all day. Spot on with your comments about the 3rd umpire protocol
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

C'mon Oz 650/9 decl.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DeadVim
At least the sight of John Howard trying to bowl had comedy value. This was just Rudd doing his Man Of The People schtick. Still better than Abbott though, what a choice ...
What Evs! :-)

Can you believe " kevin I'm down with kids" actually said last week.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I can't see it being a draw with the pitch deteriorating, will be clearer after England have a bat.

A few quick wickets tonight will come in handy.

They do tend to focus on the negatives but this is through the filter of the mass media. I find talking to yer average Aussie provides a more sane view. But maybe I just pick the right people to talk to.
Weather?
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:40 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Um errr um ...... its england complaining about umpiring today.

The batting hasn't collapsed as they are batting first on a belter. Wait til days 4 and 5.
English said it was not out, but the olympic class whinging comes from the Aussies - and this is in an innings where they've done better than they have to date (eg they've collapsed till now, 303 for 3 is as good score).

Disgraceful antics by Australia regarding the Kawaja decision, this is cricket, the umpire made an error but in cricket you get on with it. I used to support DRS but I can now see what effect it's having on the soul of cricket. Players always took bad decisions on the chin, bit of head shaking walking off and that was it.
I think the best bet is to automate the hell out of it. Junk the humans (who've not exactly covered themselves in glory) and track the hell out of the ball/bat/wicket engagement. It would be a piece of p*ss to have a decision and the batsman walking before they can even cue up the replay.

Decision at 9:46 pm
Not out 3rd umpire at 9.48 pm
Tweeted at 9:54 pm

If he was getting someone else to make a tweet, or was being told by someone, then that demonstrates commendable efficiency for a government department.

Last edited by GarryP; Aug 2nd 2013 at 9:46 am.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 9:59 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by Beoz
Weather?
Not that bad a forecast I think.
Old Aug 2nd 2013, 11:34 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Warner really is as thick as he looks. He genuinely is the laughing stock of world cricket. Just when you thought he couldn't do anything more dumb he surprises you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.