Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Old Jul 30th 2013, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Originally Posted by chris955
I have no doubt bogans think they are cool, its a weird world.
I think everyone has to let off steam....bogan or non-bogan.
And the mass media helps us to an extent, Australian, Brit or otherwise!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Fair dos, the biggest problem I had was NZ not touring the British Isles enough...

But arguably, and take away SH bias, should Wales be further up, if you take into account form.
The 6 nations is wider open than in the days of France and England dominating.

EDIT - I see that up until the 6N, Wales had something like 7 consecutive defeats...and like I said, they were no better than
England in their win/loss acc in the Championship - (indeed England had defeated NZ perhaps this SH bias was working towards England then)...that is why they are 6th place in the IRB rankings...Prob'ly.
The main problem for international rugby rankings I think is the way the sport is organised. Imagine if in tennis the following happened:

Every year Djokovic, Murray, Ferrer, Nadal and Federer (the top 5) play each other but rarely do they play anyone below them. Call them the Tri-Nations.

Every year Del Potro, Berdych, Tsonga etc play each other but rarely do they play anyone in the other group. Call them the 6 Nations.

Until such time as those nations outside the top 3 play the top 3 often and beat them their ranking won't improve - they can just re-arrange the deckchairs on the Titanic. You can't suddenly say a Wales win over England, France, Scotland, Ireland or Italy is worth more than a win over the AB's, Bokkers or Wallabies can you?

Now if they had a northern/southern hemisphere tournament every year the rankings could be more realistic. Probably not going to happen though.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by papilon
As much as I love living in Melbourne and I really do sometimes the local media and certain media types yes Eddie Maguire I mean you, do make me cringe with embarrassment. This morning vwhilst driving and listening to the news the reporter made the statement that Melbournes reputation as the sporting capital of the world had been further enhanced after Melbourne had been awarded the final of the 2015 world cup in cricket. And that the final had a projected audience of 1.3 billion yes he actually said 1.3 billion and that would be bigger than
the tv audience for the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.

Well I know cricket has had its problems with match fixing but it would seem like someone
Has guaranteed India will be in the final and that every single person in India will be watching.
I guess the clue is in the word projected - IF India make the final.

Further evidence that Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world (tongue in cheek):

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/me...731-2qyxk.html
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:58 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You have to remember the 'world' only extends as far as Brisbane, Perf and Port Philip Bay.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:20 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
You have to remember the 'world' only extends as far as Brisbane, Perf and Port Philip Bay.
Given there's only 23 million in Australia it must also take into account Krudd winning the next election & still failing to stem the influx of economic migrants sorry I meant asylum seekers
Old Jul 31st 2013, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I guess the clue is in the word projected - IF India make the final.

Further evidence that Melbourne is the sporting capital of the world (tongue in cheek):

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/me...731-2qyxk.html
Well that journalist might have used the word projected (still massively optimistic) but a whole host of other media outlets failed to insert the word projected or mention India.

Can tell your from Melbourne.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by papilon
Well that journalist might have used the word projected (still massively optimistic) but a whole host of other media outlets failed to insert the word projected or mention India.

Can tell your from Melbourne.
I can tell you're not from Melbourne.

I'm happy for you or anyone to argue a good case for somewhere other than Melbourne laying claim to being the sporting capital of the world in terms of attendances, facilities, Grand Slams, Grand Prix, Test Matches in at least 3 sports, hosting Olympics/Commonwealth Games etc, etc - ??

Last edited by OzTennis; Jul 31st 2013 at 2:08 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 6:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem Melbourne or anywhere else claiming whatever it wants as long as they dont expect me to believe it
Old Jul 31st 2013, 9:37 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

It's a very impressive sporting precinct, I enjoyed my time down there.

Onto the third test, can't wait ...
Old Jul 31st 2013, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It's a very impressive sporting precinct, I enjoyed my time down there.

Onto the third test, can't wait ...
Yes the third test. The betting websites seem to think Oz will win a test in the next 3. Can't see it myself. Dead rubber number 5 maybe.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:09 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Yes the third test. The betting websites seem to think Oz will win a test in the next 3. Can't see it myself. Dead rubber number 5 maybe.
Could be, and it would be quite something for England/Wales/SA to win all 5.

I see the locals are whining about the pitch now, nothing like getting the excuses in early

If you've got decent spinners I would say give them every chance, nothing unsporting in that.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You know as a team that you are in trouble when you receive a 'boost' because David Warner is back for selection!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 4:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You know as a team that you are in trouble when you receive a 'boost' because David Warner is back for selection!
couldn't have put that any better

What we have here though is a team with a penchant for snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, playing a team with an equal reputation and somewhat of an expectancy of doing the opposite. Won't be celebrating just yet, although recent form looks good for us. This'll be the test of the series

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Aug 1st 2013 at 5:35 am.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:53 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
I can tell you're not from Melbourne.

I'm happy for you or anyone to argue a good case for somewhere other than Melbourne laying claim to being the sporting capital of the world in terms of attendances, facilities, Grand Slams, Grand Prix, Test Matches in at least 3 sports, hosting Olympics/Commonwealth Games etc, etc - ??

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psbd3c08a4.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...pse57012f4.jpg
Ok I know it's a childish game but just off the top of my head I know a city not such a great distance from your current abode that could stake such a claim if it was immature and insecure enough to feel the need.

LONDON.
3 times host of the biggest sporting event on the planet the Olympics. the most recent just last year leaving London with even more world class venues.
Currently hosts 6 teams that play in the worlds most watched domestic football competition in the world the EPL. All of the teams own there own stadia and some of the worlds most recognisable sports stars can be seen in action during the season. Live matches are beemed around the globe and teams like Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have huge worldwide fanbases.
Staying with football London also has iconic Wembley Stadium, the home of football. No club team gets to play it games here. It's owned by the FA and England play all there International games there. Also the annual FA cup the historic cup competition in the world. A stadium that holds 90+ thousand. ARSENAL 60+ Thousand. Chelsea 45, 000 Spurs 35, 000 and looking to build a new larger stadium. West Ham will move into the Olympic stadium. There are also numerous smaller clubs with there own smaller stadium that suit there needs.

Twickenham, 80, 000 seat stadium and widely regarded as the home of rugby.again a1 sport specific stadium owned and built by the RFU. All England internationals are played here plus some domestic finals.

Wimbledon, the home of tennis. The worlds most prestigious tennis tournament with fans and celebs coming from every corner of the planet to watch. Again a 1 sport venue built by and paid for by the LTA. The two main show courts are also slightly larger than Melbournes.
Good luck trying to get a ticket.

Lords the home of cricket and regarded by most players as the best test venue in the world
London is also home to a second test venue at The Oval. Both these grounds are owned by the cricket clubs that play there Middellsex and Surrey and they are still first and foremost cricket grounds.

London in the past decade has hosted a whole host of other world sporting events. Twice the Tour de France which will return again next year. Twice the Champions league final the worlds biggest club football event. The NBA and NFL from the USA now hold games from there regular domestic tournament annually in London to huge crowds and massive world wide tv audience.

London now has a permanent Velodrome, Aquatics centre, The O2 centre is often used for major sporting events.

Melbourne has the Melbourne cup but London has Royal Ascot.

Victorian taxpayers heavily subsidise sporting events in Melbourne and hence ticket prices are cheap. Most AFL games and even the cricket on boxing day you can just turn up and get in. Big EPL games could probably sell 3 times the tickets they do if the stadia were bigger and expecially if the tickets were subsidised by the taxpayer.

Last edited by old.sparkles; Aug 1st 2013 at 8:02 am. Reason: fix quote
Old Aug 1st 2013, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fair dues, you put a very good case for London.

Just a few comments, you wouldn't expect me not to and go away that easily. In no particular order:

It is the proximity to the CBD and that most of these things are near each other that adds a lot to Melbourne's claim. London's facilities are more spread out. The London Olympic stadium will be unused until 2015 and has been used about once in the last year. They had a meet there over the weekend and now it will be redeveloped and used next for rugby WC and then the Hammers first season there in the following year. Some legacy.

Pedantic but Ascot isn't in London, it's in Berkshire; I could have added the motor cycle events at Phillip Island but that's not Melbourne.

Sport in the UK - Olympics and much of the success achieved there - is very much down to the Government funding and The Lottery. Just Google to see how much was pumped into the Olympics and target sports like cycling, rowing, athletics etc. Don't kid yourself that Australian sport is government funded and UK sport isn't.

You make out that some grounds are single purpose and then you laud that others host multi-sports, can't have it both ways.

Yes, London is a hot bed of soccer but not to the same extent as Manchester recently. You would be lucky to get the worst seat at the Emirates, Stamford Bridge etc for under $150 a head.

Clubs (or rather oligarchs and multi billionaires) own soccer venues in London; essentially the council owns MCG and Etihad. I know which way I prefer it and what ticket prices I'd prefer to pay.

Your starter for 10!

Last edited by OzTennis; Aug 1st 2013 at 8:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.