British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   The Cricket Thread (...and other sport) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/cricket-thread-other-sport-725297/)

papilon Jul 18th 2011 7:15 am

The Cricket Thread (...and other sport)

Should be a good series, England still going fairly well after there Ashes success and India the top test nation.

DeadVim Jul 18th 2011 7:35 am

Re: England v India, who is going to win

Originally Posted by papilon (Post 9501882)
Should be a good series, England still going fairly well after there Ashes success and India the top test nation.

England, but it will be close.

India will struggle under English conditions as shown in their warm-up match against Somerset (plus Strauss) ...

================
Somerset 425 for 3 dec (Suppiah 156, Compton 88, Strauss 78) and 260 for 2 dec (Strauss 109*, Trego 85*) drew with Indians 224 (Raina 103*, Willoughby 6-76) and 69 for 0
================

ROMFT_WO2RN Jul 18th 2011 7:39 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9501921)
England, but it will be close.

India will struggle under English conditions as shown in their warm-up match against Somerset (plus Strauss) ...

================
Somerset 425 for 3 dec (Suppiah 156, Compton 88, Strauss 78) and 260 for 2 dec (Strauss 109*, Trego 85*) drew with Indians 224 (Raina 103*, Willoughby 6-76) and 69 for 0
================

England to win as long as the weather holds out enough to actually finnish some matches :(

Sherlock Holmes Jul 18th 2011 7:39 am

Originally Posted by papilon (Post 9501882)

I'd love to say England and be confident about it. The English team is quite capable of winning.

However, they have historically made an art form of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Should be a good series as you say.

BBC test match special radio five iplayer is now avaialbe on the net in Aussie, for those who like me haven't got super duper ways of seeing it on tele: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fr0n5

DeadVim Jul 18th 2011 7:44 am

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN (Post 9501924)
England to win as long as the weather holds out enough to actually finnish some matches :(

Cloudy skies = Swinging ball = Praise be Jimmy Anderson :)

Originally Posted by alistairboyle (Post 9501925)
I'd love to say England and be confident about it. The English team is quite capable of winning.

However, they have historically made an art form of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Should be a good series as you say.

BBC test match special radio five iplayer is now avaialbe on the net in Aussie, for those who like me haven't got super duper ways of seeing it on tele: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00fr0n5

In recent history they have made an artform of winning the Ashes on home soil and away. Now, leave the traditional English 'mustn't grumble' at the door and enjoy :)

papilon Jul 18th 2011 9:12 am

I believe it's a 5 test series, is it not normally only Australia during an Ashes series that 5 tests are played?

Broad Shoulders Jul 18th 2011 9:29 am

It will certainly be interesting.
From a team standpoint, India have not had a great 12 months in tests, very indifferent in fact. While England on the other hand have probably never had a better one. They have had lapses, however they have learned to bounce back from them very quickly!
India do not traditionally travel well to England and given their recent indifferent series v WI, I would say England will and should win this.

Cook is on track to have one of the best years of any batsman. Trott is still doing well and as long as that continues and Swann and Anderson stay fit then I can't see India winning it

IvanM Jul 18th 2011 11:14 am

England just need to be more consistent across both innings but they have an excellent chance. The Indians at work are always a laugh with the cricket so I am looking forward to this.

chris955 Jul 18th 2011 11:01 pm

England should win it and possibly take over the No1 spot.

Burbage Jul 18th 2011 11:06 pm

It's a four test series. I think it's too close to call. India probably edge the batting and England edge the bowling. Bowling is the more important in test cricket and England have their own conditions. But if the sun comes out there could be a lot of high scoring draws.

Broad Shoulders Jul 19th 2011 1:47 am

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9503613)
England should win it and possibly take over the No1 spot.

They'd have to win at least 3-1 I reckon to do that. If they win the series they will certainly take over second spot from the Saffas though

Amazulu Jul 19th 2011 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders (Post 9503788)
They'd have to win at least 3-1 I reckon to do that. If they win the series they will certainly take over second spot from the Saffas though

2-0 would do it too

Go India!

DeadVim Jul 19th 2011 2:00 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9503799)
2-0 would do it too

Go India!

Are you not supporting your countrymen? :D

Amazulu Jul 19th 2011 2:07 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9503800)
Are you not supporting your countrymen? :D

South Africa A?

No

DeadVim Jul 19th 2011 2:12 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 9503812)
South Africa A?

No

Fair enough ... Test Cricket starting up again and The Wallabies getting their arses kicked, there is fine entertainment in all directions ...