Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Comfortably numb......

Wikiposts

Comfortably numb......

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:02 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comfortably numb......

Originally Posted by expatasia
Oh brutal mate, camel sausages are cheap & tasty though - never eaten so much meat in my bloody life as on this trip.

It won't bother you when you're earning $AUS though - when are you off to live in the Barossa?
Next stop Glasgae tomorrow

Drive up in morning but have to stay with my best man as the Jocks have a extra bank holiday and the agent hasn't managed to sort out my flat yet

Probably have to stay wednesday as well so back to my old local in Kilwinning for the footie

Must admit to liking the tourist combo in Cairns of kangaroo, crocodile and barramundi
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:12 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Next stop Glasgae tomorrow

Drive up in morning but have to stay with my best man as the Jocks have a extra bank holiday and the agent hasn't managed to sort out my flat yet

Probably have to stay wednesday as well so back to my old local in Kilwinning for the footie

Must admit to liking the tourist combo in Cairns of kangaroo, crocodile and barramundi
Cost of living must be lots cheaper in Jockland, eh?

What combo you been feeding the missus to help her get well?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:16 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

made tea - ergo done my bit
Erm, he made a cup of tea for himself and the lass, not me I still managed to actually COOK his dinner for him

May have to fend for himself and the kids today tho
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:18 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of living must be lots cheaper in Jockland, eh?

What combo you been feeding the missus to help her get well?
Lemsip, brufen and paracetemol

Still poorly and they moan about man-flu

Even going to lower myself to using public transport to get there and back as it works out cheaper than driving and that's before the VAT rise and fuel duty rises

Will have to find a dodgy local pub in Glasgae for the footie as the walkabout can be expensive even if it does show every sport known to man
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by rasen78
Erm, he made a cup of tea for himself and the lass, not me I still managed to actually COOK his dinner for him

May have to fend for himself and the kids today tho

The lass drinking tea already, the boy on Guinness I presume by now?
He won't like Oz much with their poor variety of beers.

If you made the dinner you can't be that unwell, surely? Stuck it in the microwave means cooked?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:31 pm

Even going to lower myself to using public transport to get there and back as it works out cheaper than driving and that's before the VAT rise and fuel duty rises
That's brave, last time we used British public transport was back in 1996 when I put the missus (then g/f) on a train to Stansted that failed palpably (unbeknownst to me) to arrive in time for her flight to Milan - I'd rather rent a car when we come back to Htrw whatever the cost now than suffer that ignominy....
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 7:52 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

That's brave, last time we used British public transport was back in 1996 when I put the missus (then g/f) on a train to Stansted that failed palpably (unbeknownst to me) to arrive in time for her flight to Milan - I'd rather rent a car when we come back to Htrw whatever the cost now than suffer that ignominy....
Diesel £1.25 a litre in my local supermarket, so £40 return on the train with a plug socket for the laptop sounds good to me. Might change my mind after Thursday though. Of course it's only that cheap due to booking 12 weeks in advance and using a forces discount card.

The system worked pretty well when i travelled from Bath to the big smoke before christmas so for this journey.

Don't think the train makes sense if you can't plan in advance though. The flexibility of the car always trumps for short notice journeys especially in cost terms
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:02 pm

Diesel £1.25 a litre in my local supermarket, so £40 return on the train with a plug socket for the laptop sounds good to me. Might change my mind after Thursday though. Of course it's only that cheap due to booking 12 weeks in advance and using a forces discount card.

Don't think the train makes sense if you can't plan in advance though.
Fair enough, yeah I'd read there were 64 types of ticket on British Fail - dunno why they can't make trains simple & efficient like here.

Unleaded petrol was about 1.25-1.30 a litre in S.A. - $1.19 in Coles. Lovely to drive in zero traffic jams getting splattered with locusts.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 8:14 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Fair enough, yeah I'd read there were 64 types of ticket on British Fail - dunno why they can't make trains simple & efficient like here.Unleaded petrol was about 1.25-1.30 a litre in S.A. - $1.19 in Coles. Lovely to drive in zero traffic jams getting splattered with locusts.
Or like The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland etc

Can't really include France as they're always on strike
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:06 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Oh brutal mate, camel sausages are cheap & tasty though - never eaten so much meat in my bloody life as on this trip. (Also bitterly regret taking the vegetarian meal option on Qantas)

It won't bother you when you're earning $AUS though - when are you off to live in the Barossa?
Tis a far more expensive country than it used to be, I'll give you that, even for the piddly little amount I eat. Not tried camel (either as sausage or any other way ) ,,,,,,,,though I like crocodile ;thumbup:
The lass drinking tea already, the boy on Guinness I presume by now?
He won't like Oz much with their poor variety of beers.

If you made the dinner you can't be that unwell, surely? Stuck it in the microwave means cooked?
If you look then you can get Guinness here is some places and British beers, just have to pasy through the nose when you find them

I told ROMFT earlier he should be waiting on her - he assured me she was asleep so he was gonna put his feet up and watch the cricket. Men are useless, specially when we are sick and even without man-flu in the equation on their side Bet he'd be like the copper in the office and chuck up in the bin cos he couldn't work out for himself he'd be better off in the loo

Last edited by Pollyana; Jan 2nd 2011 at 9:08 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana

If you look then you can get Guinness here is some places and British beers, just have to pasy through the nose when you find them

Men are useless, specially when we are sick and even without man-flu in the equation on their side Bet he'd be like the copper in the office and chuck up in the bin cos he couldn't work out for himself he'd be better off in the loo
Saw no Brit beers, just kept coming up against the likes of VB, Hahn Premium, Cascade Light, Pure Blonde, Carlton Draught etc or their version of Stella, I tended to just order TEDS or Toohey's New for Mrs E.

I'm spared being useless as she is never unwell - time off work here is counted as taking your annual holiday entitlement days, it's all in the mind y'know...
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:54 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Saw no Brit beers, just kept coming up against the likes of VB, Hahn Premium, Cascade Light, Pure Blonde, Carlton Draught etc or their version of Stella, I tended to just order TEDS or Toohey's New for Mrs E.

I'm spared being useless as she is never unwell - time off work here is counted as taking your annual holiday entitlement days, it's all in the mind y'know...
Blimey, you wearing body armour today

Personally I think it's an act so the Barfly will come and rub vics into her chest

right time to watch cricket highlights
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:55 pm
Waiting to be a grown-up

rasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond reputerasen78 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish it were...I lose pay for being off sick and trust me, I could really do without losing pay this month
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:13 pm

right time to watch cricket highlights
Had the 5th Test on today live, her indoors kept asking me (technical & other) questions about the Ashes series that she never seemed remotely interested in while we were actually in Oz Just wondering which will come first, her agreeing to our early retirement or finally 'getting' cricket....
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by rasen78
I wish it were...I lose pay for being off sick and trust me, I could really do without losing pay this month
Oh that sounds serious - get well soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.