Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Comfortably numb......

Wikiposts

Comfortably numb......

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:17 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Comfortably numb......

Originally Posted by expatasia
Had the 5th Test on today live, her indoors kept asking me (technical & other) questions about the Ashes series that she never seemed remotely interested in while we were actually in Oz Just wondering which will come first, her agreeing to our early retirement or finally 'getting' cricket....

I take it "early", retirement in Japan is around 70 then

Oh that sounds serious - get well soon!
yup has a Next habit to feed
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Blimey, you wearing body armour today

Personally I think it's an act so the Barfly will come and rub vics into her chest

Saw no Brit beers, just kept coming up against the likes of VB, Hahn Premium, Cascade Light, Pure Blonde, Carlton Draught etc or their version of Stella, I tended to just order TEDS or Toohey's New for Mrs E.

I'm spared being useless as she is never unwell - time off work here is counted as taking your annual holiday entitlement days, it's all in the mind y'know...
I had a big discussion on this the other day at work, several girls there said it was time I started calling in sick occasionally. I said "Ï can't I'm not sick!" but they don't get it. I tried to explain that back home we had something called Bradshaw (or a similar name) and it accumulated points against you if you were sick and all the rest of it, but they just don't get it. To their minds you call in sick just cos you don't want to work. I really don't have the kind of conscience that allows me to do that. We even used to get visits from the boss after a week off sick - that used to cause so much hassle cos I had a genuine long term problem and was off for ages, but wouldn't allow him over the doorstep. My argument was me single woman living alone, him just a work colleague, not someone I considered a friend. I was in bed sick, no way would I let him in

Originally Posted by rasen78
I wish it were...I lose pay for being off sick and trust me, I could really do without losing pay this month
for a quick recovery
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:27 pm

expatasia is an unknown quantity at this point

I take it "early", retirement in Japan is around 70 then

No shit. When we reach 50 is what I had in mind, that was part of the reason for this holiday down under to relax & reflect on how to best spend the next flamin 25 years, met a lovely middle-aged Swiss couple during the camp and when we got into the topic over the vino the lady says 'Wouldn't giving up job leave a big hole in your lives?' Bizarre how some people think...
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana

I had a big discussion on this the other day at work, several girls there said it was time I started calling in sick occasionally. I said "Ï can't I'm not sick!" but they don't get it. I tried to explain that back home we had something called Bradshaw (or a similar name) and it accumulated points against you if you were sick and all the rest of it, but they just don't get it. To their minds you call in sick just cos you don't want to work. I really don't have the kind of conscience that allows me to do that.

Here it's 'worse' - peer pressure means that the vast majority of full timers in our office don't even get round to taking their full 21 days holiday entitlement per year, for whatever purpose. And yes including Mrs E who gets no extra pay/benefits for the days she fails to take off.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:40 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Here it's 'worse' - peer pressure means that the vast majority of full timers in our office don't even get round to taking their full 21 days holiday entitlement per year, for whatever purpose. And yes including Mrs E who gets no extra pay/benefits for the days she fails to take off.
Don't think much of your early retirement chances then

Will be retiring in 2012 offcially, well from the Navy anyway Not enough to actually retire though with family in tow
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:46 pm

Don't think much of your early retirement chances then

Will be retiring in 2012 offcially, well from the Navy anyway Not enough to actually retire though with family in tow
Well, won't be early this year, OH just purchased a six month commuter pass to work. I'm working on plans to get us both sacked & paid off. How long in advance do you have to inform the Navy?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:57 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Well, won't be early this year, OH just purchased a six month commuter pass to work. I'm working on plans to get us both sacked & paid off. How long in advance do you have to inform the Navy?
Current plan is to submit 12 months notice on 1 Jul this year. The best option would be to get offered redundancy Would leave that bit earlier but with more cash. If not eligible when they release the first tranche in April then plan 1 goes into force. Am actually able to stay in until 2016 but need a firm exit date for a visa to be granted Sort of goes against the normal advice to NOT leave your job before visa grant
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:10 pm

Current plan is to submit 12 months notice on 1 Jul this year. The best option would be to get offered redundancy Would leave that bit earlier but with more cash. If not eligible when they release the first tranche in April then plan 1 goes into force. Am actually able to stay in until 2016 but need a firm exit date for a visa to be granted Sort of goes against the normal advice to NOT leave your job before visa grant
Bit of a dilemma, I'd go for it myself though - the Navy's probably fine for single blokes but it must be so hard being away from wife & young family for long stretches, or did you have in mind emigrating to Oz on yer Todd?
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 11:12 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

Bit of a dilemma, I'd go for it myself though - the Navy's probably fine for single blokes but it must be so hard being away from wife & young family for long stretches, or did you have in mind emigrating to Oz on yer Todd?
Nah, best bring them as well, although quite like the FIFO idea
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:16 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, best bring them as well, although quite like the FIFO idea

Cor....a good result again for Forest, well worth the trip to the redneck land of East Anglia
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:37 am
Shiny Arse Know All

Cor....a good result again for Forest, well worth the trip to the redneck land of East Anglia
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:43 am
Home and Happy

Ipswich 0 - 1 Forest. Old grudge match from college days, used to tease my mate that Ipswich would turn up for matches in wellies, chewing straw Nearly as satisfying as beating your lot
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:46 am
Shiny Arse Know All

Ipswich 0 - 1 Forest. Old grudge match from college days, used to tease my mate that Ipswich would turn up for matches in wellies, chewing straw Nearly as satisfying as beating your lot
ah, just found it about twenty pages down on the BBC site.

Might be satisfying but so would winning the lottery, and about as likely
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:50 am
Home and Happy

ah, just found it about twenty pages down on the BBC site.

Might be satisfying but so would winning the lottery, and about as likely
Na, even Forest win matches FAR more often than I win anything else
Old Jan 3rd 2011, 4:52 am
Shiny Arse Know All

Na, even Forest win matches FAR more often than I win anything else
need Leeds and Forest to get promoted,

12 easy points there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.