Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Sounds like alot of Brits as well.

Don't forget... like attracts like.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Sounds like alot of Brits as well.

I can't believe that someone who lives in Australia complains it's full of Australians
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:25 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I can't believe that someone who lives in Australia complains it's full of Australians
I can. Don't you find you really have to hold your tongue on threads like this.

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hutch
Misery loves company. Or, to put it another way ... birds of a feather, whinge together.

No reason to be put off by threads like this. I've been posting less and less here on account of enjoying my new life here - suspect the same is true for lots of people. But when you're busy wallowing in it, there's really nothing better than an internet forum and a group of fellow inadequates.
So were you an inadequate before but not so much now?
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy

YEs but if they lived in the uk, they'd be moaning about how many immigrants it had and reading the Daily Mail.

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I can. Don't you find you really have to hold your tongue on threads like this.

Yes, I've actually replied to loads but then not pressed submit
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:27 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
You will be. Life's what you make it... It really doesn't matter where you are at the end of the day - these people would moan in the UK too, which is why they moved here in the first place.. now they're here, they're moaning here too! It's all about where you are in your head.
Very true.....people's personal lives aren't necessarily going to magically get better - relationships aren't suddenly going to improve, kids aren't suddenly going to become model citizens and not be rude or trash there rooms ...in fact, emigrating really can be a 'make or break' time.

But I think the main thing...on a more general level is that people need to be broad-minded, learn to adapt....and be thankful that they have been given to chance of coming here....and make the most of it...even if, in the end, they feel that it is not for them.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by CasG
Very true.....people's personal lives aren't necessarily going to magically get better - relationships aren't suddenly going to improve, kids aren't suddenly going to become model citizens and not be rude or trash there rooms ...in fact, emigrating really can be a 'make or break' time.

But I think the main thing...on a more general level is that people need to be broad-minded, learn to adapt....and be thankful that they have been given to chance of coming here....and make the most of it...even if, in the end, they feel that it is not for them.
Absolutely agree with that Cas. I remind myself constantly that Australia is my 'host' country and am more careful in certain situations than I would be in the UK. I suppose that also, it's wise to remember that people will be looking at the British coming into their country and making up their minds about whether the entire race is nice or a bunch of assholes. Of course that's stereotyping, but British people here colour all Australians with one brush - We have to remember it happens the other way too.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:40 am
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kporte
as someone in the application process i find it unsettling that the crap things about oz thread has three times the posts of the good things thread!

better to hear all the whingers, then when you arrive you will be saying to yourself "THIS IS GREAT!!!!"

I personally just like to whinge on this BB cos it's good to blow off some steam. I dont find the need to tell everyone about what I do like every two minutes.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:44 am
Banned

Budowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to beholdBudowsky is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: The OFFICIAL what I don't like about Oz thread

You will be. Life's what you make it... It really doesn't matter where you are at the end of the day - these people would moan in the UK too, which is why they moved here in the first place.. now they're here, they're moaning here too! It's all about where you are in your head.

So why did you leave the UK? Was your head an unpleasant place to be?
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:54 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Budowsky
So why did you leave the UK? Was your head an unpleasant place to be?
My head? No my head's fine. I came here for a variety of reasons but the main one was because my husband is Australian and we wanted to come home. His parents had recently divorced leaving his mum very alone. Also I had health problems which are better off in a warmer climate. My family aren't very 'family oriented' and I wanted my children to have grandparents who were active enough to get out a bit - mine park themselves in a chair the whole weekend and that's it.
After i nearly died having my son (he nearly died too and then three weeks later, got viral meningitis and nearly died again) we decided that life's just too short to miss out on some things.
So here we are. I could be happy living anywhere because I don't believe it's the country that makes your life happy... it's more of a mental attitude. If you're not happy inside yourself what makes people think they'll be ok swapping countries?
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:58 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

My head? No my head's fine. I came here for a variety of reasons but the main one was because my husband is Australian and we wanted to come home. His parents had recently divorced leaving his mum very alone. Also I had health problems which are better off in a warmer climate. My family aren't very 'family oriented' and I wanted my children to have grandparents who were active enough to get out a bit - mine park themselves in a chair the whole weekend and that's it.
After i nearly died having my son (he nearly died too and then three weeks later, got viral meningitis and nearly died again) we decided that life's just too short to miss out on some things.
So here we are. I could be happy living anywhere because I don't believe it's the country that makes your life happy... it's more of a mental attitude. If you're not happy inside yourself what makes people think they'll be ok swapping countries?
exactly. my wife and i are very happy together. we want to have kids and we think oz would be a good place to do this. we would be happy anywhere as long as we were with each other.
i just read that back and it makes ME want to vomit, never the less it is true
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:14 am
Banned

I sort of agree with you. There are plenty of people who put lip service to this and then migrate! I can be happy anywhere....but I decided to go to OZ , Canada, NZ because of x,y,z.

There is nothing wrong with being unhappy, wanting to improve your life, and migrating, good on you! I say. It takes guts to up and leave for somewhere else, and until you do it, don't knock it. But at the same time there is nothing wrong with going home once you have migrated.

Is there?
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Budowsky
But at the same time there is nothing wrong with going home once you have migrated.

Is there?

Hell no! I admire anyone who does this massive thing, gives it a fair go and then decides it's not for them. How do we ever know if we don't try. People have dreams... it's better to try to fulfill those dreams because otherwise you end up with regrets. Regrets can kill a person inside - I've seen it happen.
I may not be here for the rest of my life - I might go back to the UK. I am completely open to that possibility. But then, I would also like to buy acreage, live in a lovely colonial home and use my land to live ... maybe when the kids are grown up? It's a dream I might try one day if I can. We'd have done that straight away, but our next 10 year plan is to stay here in the mts because this is where my mum in law lives, so we're close to her. The change in her since we got here is lovely. She's a wonderful person.

For us it was about a fresh start. Our business collapsed after the 9/11 thing too, and we had two years of financial hell - truthfully had moments where we couldn't buy groceries and we went hungry so that the kids could eat. No family help, nothing. Raised three children completely without family, even when my son and I nearly lost our lives, no-one came... Dreadful stress. Unbelievable.
If there'd been no family in Australia, I think we'd have gone to live in rural Spain or France, farming or whatever...

I'm truly blessed to have a husband with a wonderful family.

Last edited by iPom; Oct 22nd 2006 at 2:38 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
exactly. my wife and i are very happy together. we want to have kids and we think oz would be a good place to do this. we would be happy anywhere as long as we were with each other.
i just read that back and it makes ME want to vomit, never the less it is true
It's not vomitous, it's honest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.