Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

You know you've been in the US too long when...

You know you've been in the US too long when...

Old Feb 8th 2013, 11:57 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've been in the US too long when...

Originally Posted by GeoffM
Funny you should say that. We went back to the car dealer we bought a car off 9 months ago and he checked the oil - and told us we're supposed to change it after 5,000 miles . Well, I'm no mechanic, but in the UK it got a fuel change about every year along with its service and MOT.
Twice a year is fine as long as you use it just for running around town. 3000 miles would be the norm if you were driving long distance a lot i.e.. more mileage racked up.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Twice a year is fine as long as you use it just for running around town. 3000 miles would be the norm if you were driving long distance a lot i.e.. more mileage racked up.
The norm here maybe...but not the norm in the UK. The frequency of oil changes here is one of my husband's pet peeves.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

From another perspective:

You have not had the road to "work" coded Black.

No indirect fire, at home or work for weeks.

No Giant voice. Or waking up to the CIWS at 0200.

You hear gunfire and don't worry because "it's not in your sector"

You see a bag of trash on the side of the road and do not swerve three lanes and increase speed to avoid it.

You see a guy on the over pass while driving and are not worried he is throwing a grenade at you.

You go to the store and have endless choices of food and drink, and leave with bottled water and chef Boyardee and feel content.

You are at work and suddenly panic because you can't locate your weapons, then realize you are at home.

You want to go outside and cannot locate your body armor, the you spouse says its ok to mow the grass.

Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:11 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SATX John
From another perspective:

You have not had the road to "work" coded Black.

No indirect fire, at home or work for weeks.

No Giant voice. Or waking up to the CIWS at 0200.

You hear gunfire and don't worry because "it's not in your sector"

You see a bag of trash on the side of the road and do not swerve three lanes and increase speed to avoid it.

You see a guy on the over pass while driving and are not worried he is throwing a grenade at you.

You go to the store and have endless choices of food and drink, and leave with bottled water and chef Boyardee and feel content.

You are at work and suddenly panic because you can't locate your weapons, then realize you are at home.

You want to go outside and cannot locate your body armor, the you spouse says its ok to mow the grass.

Did we forget to thank you for your service today?
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:11 am
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The norm here maybe...but not the norm in the UK. The frequency of oil changes here is one of my husband's pet peeves.
Yes, it was the US that I was talking about. If we were to drive to NY city from where we are (although we prefer to fly such long distances) it's 3,000 miles one way. Besides, it's better to have your oil changes done more often -- it lubricates your engine and increases the longevity of you car. Think resale value.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
Yes, it was the US that I was talking about. If we were to drive to NY city from where we are (although we prefer to fly such long distances) it's 3,000 miles one way. Besides, it's better to have your oil changes done more often -- it lubricates your engine and increases the longevity of you car. Think resale value.
That's the American way of looking at it. Brits tend not to think that way.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:15 am
Banned

I can understand that!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:17 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

It's also false in terms of engine maintenance. Brits wouldn't all ignore oil changes if they were necessary at that frequency, and nor would the garages. It's a commercial idea that has been pushed as "necessary" in the US - I think it's just a money spinner. Oil should be changed according to use, and stop/start city driving is harder on your oil, as it is on your engine, but this whole 3,000 mile thing seems to be pure invention.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

It is so quick & cheaper here to get an oil change, compared to back home...

...and yet - are engines here in the US so delicate that they need an oil change 4-5 times more frequently than back home (thereby working out about 2x the cist of same back home, mile for mile)? I don't think so. I smell another scam/urban myth at work...

Now, if only I could get 1% of that action
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so it doesn't actually need doing (unless it really is mucky in which case perhaps something else is wrong), it's just a way to make money and make Americans feel good!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
It is so quick & cheaper here to get an oil change, compared to back home...

...and yet - are engines here in the US so delicate that they need an oil change 4-5 times more frequently than back home (thereby working out about 2x the cist of same back home, mile for mile)? I don't think so. I smell another scam/urban myth at work...

Now, if only I could get 1% of that action
You sound like my husband.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

SATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really niceSATX John is just really nice

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Did we forget to thank you for your service today?
Just highlighting not just US but what UK veterans have when they come home and deal with.

One year deployed and one year home for the past decade = a lot of issues, like the US military current suicide rate, far higher than combat deaths.

You snarky tone in your post shows your disdain for those that serve vs the different perspective I presented.

How bout thank this guy, his family deserves it, all proceeds from his book went to previously KIA SEAL families:

http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/02/08/...eds-your-help/

or this one:

https://support.woundedwarriorprojec...FY-iPAod6CQA0g

I donate to both. Until you have to deal with the impacts of your "Security" you scoff.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 12:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so it doesn't actually need doing (unless it really is mucky in which case perhaps something else is wrong), it's just a way to make money and make Americans feel good!
You could also do it yourself, easy enough and would save you money
Old Feb 9th 2013, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Funny you should say that. We went back to the car dealer we bought a car off 9 months ago and he checked the oil - and told us we're supposed to change it after 5,000 miles . Well, I'm no mechanic, but in the UK it got a fuel change about every year along with its service and MOT.
Seasons aren't as extreme though....but 5K with synthetic is about right.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 1:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
You could also do it yourself, easy enough and would save you money
Very true! My father does his own oil changes. His norm is 3,000 miles or twice a year whichever comes first. Once in the spring and then again in the fall is his norm now. He's not into driving long distance a lot anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.