Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

You know you've been in the US too long when...

You know you've been in the US too long when...

Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: You know you've been in the US too long when...

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Do you actually have to go and exercise in the gym?
No I checked it isn't compulsory
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:38 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Current insurer - $607 per month

Medicare part B - $104.90

Medicare Advantage plan from current insurer with drug coverage - $52

Co-pays etc on Medicare Advantage plan same as current plan. Very unlikely to reach the drug gap as I have no regular drug prescription

Savings $450 a month - plus the Medicare Advantage plans comes with free membership to a local gym, worth $34 a month for a years membership.

Don't think I've missed anything I should be expecting to pay, but willing to learn if I have.
You're right Medicare Part B= $104.90
On the advice of a reliable insurance agent my Dad decided on Plan G. The monthly premium is $193.46 at the present time. And and an additional roughly $ 36. on prescription drugs just in case, and now he has just two generic drugs he takes after four years of retirement.
On this plan after the initial deductible of $150.00 per year he is covered 100% and as he discovered when my Mum was alive her cancer treatment cost them nothing.
So you're right, you're on a different plan to his. But you may not have the coverage that he has. He never has to make any co-pays either.
I hope all this is clear as mud
Old Feb 11th 2013, 3:59 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bink
Yeah but you live in Houston Yorkie!!
After Mr W took all that time to write the wiki, you should know that Katy is not Houston

I've just hit 16k in mine and had it since March. You must do a lot of kid ferrying as most of mine is from my commute (45 miles/day).
I'm just over 14000 now since end June ( I think). Back of fag packet comes in at around 400/week average. Distorted slightly because of a long roadtrip last summer, so probably more like 350/week. Doesn't help when we're down south by the tollway and the kids dance studio and soccer fields are all over in old Katy, 10 miles away each way.....

You know you've been here too long when you consider an hours drive a 'short' drive
.You got that right!!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:04 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
I hope all this is clear as mud
You know you've been in the US too long when... you hope that you live long enough to actually become an acknowledged local expert on the complexities of medicare.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:06 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting stuff on the medicare....I need to gen up on that - its a while away for me, but my FIL has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and seems to have racked up $35k before they've really done anything. The in-laws are on medicare, but are very tight lipped on exactly what is covered, possibly because they don't really know. We think they've got gap insurance, but not sure. We do know they have virtually no assets/savings, so any bills are going to be coming our way...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Interesting stuff on the medicare....I need to gen up on that - its a while away for me, but my FIL has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and seems to have racked up $35k before they've really done anything. The in-laws are on medicare, but are very tight lipped on exactly what is covered, possibly because they don't really know. We think they've got gap insurance, but not sure. We do know they have virtually no assets/savings, so any bills are going to be coming our way...
Do you know if they have regular Medicare, or a Medicare Advantage plan? If regular Medicare, and he has Part A, Part B, and a medigap policy, he should not have significant sums out of pocket. (You are only eligible for a medigap policy if you have elected to pay Part B.)

The Medicare website sets out what is covered by each part of Medicare.

Unfortunately, it is not that easy with the old folks to get them to ask for help/ share the information with younger family members. But I wonder if you could sit down with them to get them to share, and you could see if they are properly covered.

I was lucky with my mother in law, who died in 2009. She used to run the payroll for a small company, and understood this stuff; she was also wise enough to know as she got older that she needed to ask us to help her with decision making and keeping up with the changes as they occurred.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
Unfortunately, it is not that easy with the old folks to get them to ask for help/ share the information with younger family members. But I wonder if you could sit down with them to get them to share, and you could see if they are properly covered.
Thanks Robin.

This is my main problem...compounded by the fact that they are Chinese, and while their English is incredibly good considering they didn't start learning till they moved here in their early 40's, it is still limited to "everyday" requirements and not good enough, especially considering the added stress, for the current situation.

My wife is accompanying them on all doctor visits, to help with the communication and understanding, but her father is old style, and doesn't believe his daughter needs to know the ins and outs of his "personal" stuff. There was almost a serious family rift a few years ago (prior medicare) when we found out by chance that they had stopped paying on their medical insurance - we insisted they reinstated it (not an easy task in itself), and we picked up all the premiums and any additional medical costs. But when medicare kicked in, we sort of took our eye off the ball.

He is in hospital for a procedure at the end of this week, and I think we need to get my wife to sit down with her mother while he is out of the picture and persuade her to let us go through the paperwork to see exactly where they do stand. Some serious reading up to do between now and then.

Sorry for drifitn gseriously OT on this.

To get back on track....

....................when you wonder whether you need to worry about your own finances because of a lack of understanding of your parents(in-law) medical bills!!!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:59 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

It is certainly not an easy thing to understand. I will say this, and hopefully I've understood it OK, all the Medicare Advantage plans I've seen have a maximum for out of pocket expenses, the same as a normal medical insurance policy.

Last edited by lansbury; Feb 11th 2013 at 7:23 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:09 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

It's the soccer that does it! I play 2-3 times a week and one of those is a 60 mile round trip and the games can START as late as 11.50pm!!!

It's very easy to rack the miles up here though.

EDIT:

You know you've been in the US too long when you call football, soccer and worse yet, don't correct yourself!

Last edited by Bink; Feb 11th 2013 at 7:11 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:35 pm

EDIT:

You know you've been in the US too long when you call football, soccer and worse yet, don't correct yourself!
..........................When you have to re-read another Brits post to realise he called football soccer because you missed it first time round!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:38 pm

It's the soccer that does it! I play 2-3 times a week and one of those is a 60 mile round trip and the games can START as late as 11.50pm!!!
START at 11.50? I guess you go straight to work after that.....

Tonight daughter has dance for 3 hours. I either drop her off and sit and watch a bunch of 7 year olds leaping around in leotards for the whole time (which will probably get me on all sorts of watch lists and registers) or I drop her off and go back later....kerching - 40 miles in the bag! Thursday Repeat. Friday Repeat. And we're at 120 miles for the week without even moving the boys off the sofa!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:44 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, start time! The worst thing is I don't get home until 1.30 at best and can't sleep until 3 as I'm still worked up from from playing. It can really screw up my Friday but more often than not I just put up with a few hours sleep and try and catch up Saturday morning (rarely happens). We only have a few games that late each year though.
Tonight daughter has dance for 3 hours. I either drop her off and sit and watch a bunch of 7 year olds leaping around in leotards for the whole time (which will probably get me on all sorts of watch lists and registers) or I drop her off and go back later....kerching - 40 miles in the bag! Thursday Repeat. Friday Repeat. And we're at 120 miles for the week without even moving the boys off the sofa!
See, I thought about this when I bought my car (planning on keeping it for 8 years or so) and got a DVD system. As much for me when I'm inevitably hanging around somewhere as for when we're going on roadtrips (front screen works when car is in park).
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:41 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you're losing oil, either leaking it or burning it. The Tappet brothers do say, "Where there's smoke, there's a Saab."

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Bob
Our car gets a right shitting fit if we go 10K....the oil light starts to stutter on hard bends when you hit about 7-8K, so us and the Saab, 5K is about right and safe. Unfortunately
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:46 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Sounds like you're losing oil, either leaking it or burning it. The Tappet brothers do say, "Where there's smoke, there's a Saab."

Regards, JEff
Yeah, not seeing a leak in the drive way and no smoke though. It's generally alright if we do a change end of summer or winter season, it only gets silly if we don't and do a change middle of a season.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 6:24 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

At least you don't live in North Dakota or Wyoming, where even going to the library involves a 50 mile trip each way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.