Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speak f**kin English !

Wikiposts

Speak f**kin English !

Old May 8th 2006, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

EnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud ofEnglishTeaDuck has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Speak f**kin English !

lol.....

I work in a coffee place and deal with customers all the time. One dear man (ahem!) comes in everyday and greets me with 'cheerio!' to which I reply, 'oh, bye then....' I explained to him that it means goodbye, so he said 'oh, what do you say for 'hello'???? To which the answer, of course, is, erm, HELLO!

My boss at work pretty much says 'Tally Ho!' every time he walks past me and loves it when someone buys a bottle of 'vitamin water' (go on, say it, Ruth, listen to how she says it.....)

The only times it bugs me, I suppose, is when I am saying something serious and want to be listened to, and people don't hear me because they are too busy going 'ooh, isn't it cute' about the accent.

I know people mostly like it and compliment it, but it does get weird sometimes how people don't seem to be aware that there are countries outside America, or that they think England is basically three miles long, we all come from London, and it is made up of London and maybe two villages, one of them being Scotland.....lol

oh well, tally ho, chaps!

Ruth x :scared:
Old May 8th 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

DarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Speak f**kin English !

Originally Posted by EnglishTeaDuck
people don't seem to be aware that there are countries outside America, or that they think England is basically three miles long, we all come from London, and it is made up of London and maybe two villages, one of them being Scotland....
I dunno what you mean I'm sure!

Old May 8th 2006, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Late night rant about English standards brough about by browsing too many threads today.

No-one should be allowed to leave school until they have mastered the following.

They were NOT they was

Those things NOT them things

correct use of apostrophes

aitch NOT haitch (this not on forums but a pet hate)

Then maybe we can lecture others.
Old May 9th 2006, 1:03 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We hadn't been here very long and I was explaining to someone why I couldn't work on my H4 visa and they offered to find me cleaning jobs that didn't require a ss number. It wasn't the cleaning jobs it was the way it was said made me feel really small and worthless.

But then the guy's mother said " I really like London and the part I like the most is Bath."
Then she asked me if we had Christmas in England.
I ceased to feel small and worthless at that point.

Last edited by jumping doris; May 9th 2006 at 1:03 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 9th 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of years ago we were planning our annual UK trip and some relatives talked of comming with us, one very stupid woman (non relative) asked all sorts of insulting questions but the worst was "And do they have stores over there where you can buy food when you need it ?"
Old May 10th 2006, 8:19 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
A couple of years ago we were planning our annual UK trip and some relatives talked of comming with us, one very stupid woman (non relative) asked all sorts of insulting questions but the worst was "And do they have stores over there where you can buy food when you need it ?"
The mind boggles!
Old May 16th 2006, 8:17 am
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

My colleague just asked me "do you have hamburgers in England?"

"No", I replied, "our cows aren't big enough."

He left looking very confused. I love messing with them when they ask stupid questions.
Old May 16th 2006, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

DarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of lightDarrenP is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by peterbainham
My colleague just asked me "do you have hamburgers in England?"

"No", I replied, "our cows aren't big enough."

He left looking very confused. I love messing with them when they ask stupid questions.
Agreed. I used to get annoyed by the ignorance, but now I find it much more fun to mess with it. If I had a dollar for every time variations along that question had been asked me, I wouldn't be sat at this desk right now.

Amongst many many gems I've had:

"Do you have pinball in England?"

"Do you celebrate christmas in England?"

"Do you have Levis in England?"

"Did you drive here from England?"

and the clear winner is (I witnessed this as it was asked of an English colleague) :

"Did you have to learn 'our' language before coming here?".
Old May 16th 2006, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

My favourites so far:

1. Are you allowed to criticise the Queen?
2. Do you speak English? (after being introduced as "British")
3. Can I pay in US$?(in a restaurant in Germany)
4. Wow, how may languages can she speak (after hearing my kid speak with US accent)
5. Do you have credit cards in England?
6. Do you celebrate Thanksgiving?
7. Do you celebrate Christmas on the same day as us?
Old May 16th 2006, 8:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Partystar
The mind boggles!
My father-in law is from Gateshead. When we moved to Birmingham (thats Birmingham, England) he asked us "do they have shops there, like?"
Old May 16th 2006, 9:01 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
My father-in law is from Gateshead. When we moved to Birmingham (thats Birmingham, England) he asked us "do they have shops there, like?"
What the piss?!?!
Old May 16th 2006, 9:27 am
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rompers
My favourites so far:

1. Are you allowed to criticise the Queen?
2. Do you speak English? (after being introduced as "British")
3. Can I pay in US$?(in a restaurant in Germany)
4. Wow, how may languages can she speak (after hearing my kid speak with US accent)
5. Do you have credit cards in England?
6. Do you celebrate Thanksgiving?
7. Do you celebrate Christmas on the same day as us?
1. Yes, but only in morse code.
2. ¿Que?
3. The German economy is still only operating under a bartering system (1 turnip = 2 potatoes).
4. One more than you.
5. Though we seek to emulate German efficiency, we still haven't got the hang of bartering yet. Bring a spear and plenty of rocks if travelling here.
6. Yes, but we're thankful for you leaving, not arriving.
7. Christmas is celebrated every third tuesday according to our belief that the Messiah frequently climbed back into Mary's womb when he couldn't handle all the public expectation. It would then take approximately three weeks for Joseph to coax our Lord out using a ball and, if necessary, a sturdy plunger.
Old May 16th 2006, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

2. ¿Que?
3. The German economy is still only operating under a bartering system (1 turnip = 2 potatoes).
4. One more than you.
5. Though we seek to emulate German efficiency, we still haven't got the hang of bartering yet. Bring a spear and plenty of rocks if travelling here.
7. Christmas is celebrated every third tuesday according to our belief that the Messiah frequently climbed back into Mary's womb when he couldn't handle all the public expectation. It would then take approximately three weeks for Joseph to coax our Lord out using a ball and, if necessary, a sturdy plunger.

Welcome to BE.
Old May 16th 2006, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

2. ¿Que?
4. One more than you.

Like ya style!
Old May 16th 2006, 10:39 am
Account Closed

So do I!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.