Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speak f**kin English !

Wikiposts

Speak f**kin English !

Old May 16th 2006, 10:43 am
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speak f**kin English !

Of course, I wouldn't actually say that to anyone. I usually just end up stuttering out a earnest and boring reply to these types of questions.
Old May 16th 2006, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
My father-in law is from Gateshead. When we moved to Birmingham (thats Birmingham, England) he asked us "do they have shops there, like?"
Doesn't surprise me from that side of the Tyne.
Old May 16th 2006, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
Doesn't surprise me from that side of the Tyne.
Visiting them in the summer :scared:
Old May 16th 2006, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to beholdgeordiegirl2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Visiting them in the summer :scared:
Have a drink there for me, went to see the film Goal at the weekend, made me yearn for home and a good night out on the quayside.
Old May 16th 2006, 4:53 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
Have a drink there for me, went to see the film Goal at the weekend, made me yearn for home and a good night out on the quayside.
Will do
Old May 16th 2006, 11:48 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
Of course, I wouldn't actually say that to anyone. I usually just end up stuttering out a earnest and boring reply to these types of questions.
You sound like my husband, always thinking of the smart answer 2 hours later.
Welcome to the forum, you'll do well here.
Old May 22nd 2006, 4:44 am
Forum Regular

Beer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the roughBeer:30 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Elvira

The only real problem I have is obtaining a glass of "water"...

Yes, my wife has the same problem.
I suspect that it is because for most wait staff english is their 2nd language.
After she requests a glass of water a few times only to get a blank stare, I will just blurt out "agua" and the problem is solved.
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:18 am
Being myself

peterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond reputepeterbainham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beer:30
Yes, my wife has the same problem.
I suspect that it is because for most wait staff english is their 2nd language.
After she requests a glass of water a few times only to get a blank stare, I will just blurt out "agua" and the problem is solved.
I think this is a problem with the softly pronounced 'a' (or schwa-ed, if you like). Without fail, everytime I order a 'tall' latte from Starbucks I get the reply 'two lattes?'.
Got help them if they meet a Kiwi and their messed-up vowel sounds.
Old May 22nd 2006, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterbainham
I think this is a problem with the softly pronounced 'a' (or schwa-ed, if you like). Without fail, everytime I order a 'tall' latte from Starbucks I get the reply 'two lattes?'.
Got help them if they meet a Kiwi and their messed-up vowel sounds.

Hehe, that's when I usually resort to sign language.. (okay.. so I resisted a crappy joke about giving them the finger..)

One funny experience I had walking out of a store, when I asked an employee a simple question. He asked me again what I had said, so I repeated myself - a little slower, and a little louder. He seemed to understand because he answered my question. He then asked 'So what language is that?' ...
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Smaug
Hehe, that's when I usually resort to sign language.. (okay.. so I resisted a crappy joke about giving them the finger..)

One funny experience I had walking out of a store, when I asked an employee a simple question. He asked me again what I had said, so I repeated myself - a little slower, and a little louder. He seemed to understand because he answered my question. He then asked 'So what language is that?' ...
I do seem to have the same issues, but my standby line is that the Senate is making English the official language so it might be a good idea to start learning.
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:43 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do seem to have the same issues, but my standby line is that the Senate is making English the official language so it might be a good idea to start learning.

i'm saying this very quietly but after hubs and i spending some time over the weekend with an aussie couple i have to say give me the usa dialects any day of the week over that aussie one, omg it drove me nuts by the end of the evening
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:48 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

In conversational speech I usually use the American variants but if I'm speaking to Toon, who knows British English, I use both variants depending on which one pops into my head as I'm speaking.
Old May 22nd 2006, 6:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i'm saying this very quietly but after hubs and i spending some time over the weekend with an aussie couple i have to say give me the usa dialects any day of the week over that aussie one, omg it drove me nuts by the end of the evening
LOL its the ear penetrating loudness of some Americans that gets to me.
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:01 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
LOL its the ear penetrating loudness of some Americans that gets to me.

hmm much softer down here although still loud ...the aussies i think were trying to compete with the louder north usa accent...hmm not good
Old May 22nd 2006, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

OK then... Here's one that happened shortly after I came over from England.

I went into a local restaurant and noticed they had draught Guinness, when it came in a can I shrugged and made a throw away comment that I if Guinness was draught, shouldn't it be in a glass (obviously forgetting that draught it used to describe theserving of beer with a draughtflow/widget/pressurised can).

I was advised by this waitress that the word spelled "draught" was actually pronounced "draw-gt" and that correct spelling of draft was, well, "D-R-A-F-T"!

After a few minutes of her trying to convince me that draught and draft were different words (rather than different spellings of the same word), I decided that it wasn't worth getting into an argument with a waitress and ended the conversation by saying:

"OK then... What does DRAW-GT mean?"

She tried to get out of it by saying "It's probably a British or Irish word!"

When I replied that I was actually British, she promptly went red and left! (obviously, she didn't get a tip off me)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.