Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speak f**kin English !

Speak f**kin English !

Old May 2nd 2006, 5:02 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Speak f**kin English !

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I honestly don't know how you do it. Living with Americans would send me over the edge...
Amen to that.

It's life, Jim - but not as we know it.
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:12 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Speak f**kin English !

Originally Posted by lionheart
This thread reminds me of the time I ran into this American woman, she was married to an Irish guy and she explained her FIL was over and he didn't like the bacon compared to what you could get in the UK/Eire. After listening to him compalin she had ran around various American shops asking for Ticker Bacon to no avail and was very frustrated?????????????
When she got home she learnt from her hubby that his old man was complaining that the bacon back home was thicker. I pissed myself when she told me
Shooting blanks! This one deserves mega karma!!..I came close to changing my undies on this one!!
Old May 2nd 2006, 5:56 am
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

I should probably keep silent, but there have been tomes while watching an English movie (or Irish or Scottish or Aussie...) that I have such a damn hard time understanding it that I will turn on the f**king subtitles to help me understand wtf they're saying.
Old May 2nd 2006, 7:52 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Isn't there a French saying about small breasts meaning you are closer to the heart? Won't bother looking it up, I'll wait for Elvira.
I guess this might help a surgeon....
Old May 2nd 2006, 9:44 am
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of years back I was a party in Virginia, knocking back some crappy beers and playing pool (British rules) when a woman who was even more drunk than me (not easy) noticed I was English and shouted "Say something English! Come on! Say something English!"

She was seriously putting me off my game. So I replied, "F**k away off, yer manky bint."

Seemed to shut her up.
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so we had an open house at work tonight with all our clients and people involved with the company.

Me and another guy are standing by my desk when one of the guests comes up and introduces himself to which we introduce ourselves. Next thing I know this guy is putting on a terrible Scottish accent "Duncan Roberts, from Scotland" and proceeds to tell me about a guy working with him who is Scottish. I politely tell him I'm English and he repeats the same thing in what I assume was supposed to be an English accent but sounded very similar to his Scottish one. Then he goes off on one about the Scottish and English fighting and warring to which I'm kind of speech less. Then he asks if I keep up to date about the fighting then walks off leaving me scratching my head wondering what just happened.

Later on he's doing another sweep introducing himself and I happen to be in a group he hasn't met so he's going through them and comes to me "I know you, Brit guy" and moves on.

Mad as a box of frogs.
Old May 2nd 2006, 12:28 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
OK, so we had an open house at work tonight with all our clients and people involved with the company.

Me and another guy are standing by my desk when one of the guests comes up and introduces himself to which we introduce ourselves. Next thing I know this guy is putting on a terrible Scottish accent "Duncan Roberts, from Scotland" and proceeds to tell me about a guy working with him who is Scottish. I politely tell him I'm English and he repeats the same thing in what I assume was supposed to be an English accent but sounded very similar to his Scottish one. Then he goes off on one about the Scottish and English fighting and warring to which I'm kind of speech less. Then he asks if I keep up to date about the fighting then walks off leaving me scratching my head wondering what just happened.

Later on he's doing another sweep introducing himself and I happen to be in a group he hasn't met so he's going through them and comes to me "I know you, Brit guy" and moves on.

Mad as a box of frogs.
Presumably got that Mel Gibson film mixed up with the news.
Old May 2nd 2006, 3:56 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Speak f**kin English !

Originally Posted by ironporer
I should probably keep silent, but there have been tomes while watching an English movie (or Irish or Scottish or Aussie...) that I have such a damn hard time understanding it that I will turn on the f**king subtitles to help me understand wtf they're saying.
I'm struggling to comprehend the idea that someone would have difficulty understanding an Australian accent.

Don't even get me started on people who try to copy it. Absolutely excruciating.

The Australian accent is a lot harder to mimic than most people think. It's not as complex as many English accents, but it is highly nuanced.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 2nd 2006 at 3:59 pm.
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:44 am
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
The Australian accent is a lot harder to mimic than most people think. It's not as complex as many English accents, but it is highly nuanced.
yeah right the aussie accent is easy peasey

"g'day mate, cor look at the size of that croc, isn't she a beauty, lets throw her on the barbie and don't forget to bring the Fosters and yer sheila"

see......
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:47 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel

"g'day mate, cor look at the size of that croc, isn't she a beauty, lets throw her on the barbie and don't forget to bring the Fosters and yer sheila"

see......
Kath and Kim..."look at mooyyyy, Kim, look at mooyyyy...."
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:49 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celtic_Angel

see......
No self respecting Australian drinks Fosters!
Old May 3rd 2006, 10:50 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
Kath and Kim..."look at mooyyyy, Kim, look at mooyyyy...."
I had forgotten about that show, that was a pretty good one.

"It's supposed to be a statue of baby Jesus, not baby cheeses!"
Old May 5th 2006, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
<snip>
How often do you get reactions like that ?
Often. Too often. It's even worse when my boss does it in front of our vendors.

'I'll translate what he said - he's fresh off the boat'.
'Oh don't worry, he's English'.

Once I asked for help in RadioShack after waiting patiently in line for several minutes, and as soon as the assistant heard my accent he said 'I can't understand you, I'll get someone else', and then I had to wait several more minutes to speak to somebody else. He didn't even try to listen, and treated me like I had no business being in his country.

Sometimes it happens the other way around.. Once I phoned up a cereal company to complain I had found something rather unwanted in the cereal I was eating. I felt really bad complaining when the woman on the other end said 'Oh I really love your accent, where in England are you from?'
Old May 5th 2006, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Tweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to allTweenies is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Elvira
Never actually.

I usually I get the "I just love your accent!!!" and "Which part of England are you from?" comments.

That's if they're not wondering whether I'm from Australia or South Africa...

The only real problem I have is obtaining a glass of "water"...

LOL this is exactly what i get all the time too
Old May 5th 2006, 2:21 pm
Pain in the Butt

Wildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant futureWildandcrazy0525 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Boiler
England and Wales are seperate countries, Spain has many regions. The only Gaelic connection I can think of with England is Cornish but that is essentially a dead language, maybe a few hundred speakers and I would not expect anyone outside the UK to know that.

Afrikaan is based on Dutch, Lower German? and I believe has little connection with any form of English.
OMG... in qwork some of the guys try taking the piss out of some of the words I use, but the best one I had was one day about a year ago, I was getting my haircut and the stylist asaked me where I was from. When I told her I was from the UK, she said... and I quote.. "Well you speak very good English considering your from there"!!!

I didn't say anything..... but boy did I want to!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.