Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Speak f**kin English !

Wikiposts

Speak f**kin English !

Old Jun 5th 2006, 3:59 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Speak f**kin English !

Originally Posted by Partystar
O levels are GCSE's, right? If so, then that's how I see it too.
Yes, except the average O-level/GCSE leaver is 16 compared to 18 in the US.

Children under 18 in the US should not be allowed to drop out any more than a 6-year-old can drop out.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:06 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Yes, except the average O-level/GCSE leaver is 16 compared to 18 in the US.

Children under 18 in the US should not be allowed to drop out any more than a 6-year-old can drop out.
That's what I thought, personally I prefer the condensed learning, less time to get bored & want to leave early. I think it should be mandatory to get your basic school education, after all, it's basic stuff, what everyone should know.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:08 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partystar
That's what I thought, personally I prefer the condensed learning, less time to get bored & want to leave early. I think it should be mandatory to get your basic school education, after all, it's basic stuff, what everyone should know.
You *can* opt out here by taking the GED -- General Equivalency Degree?? -- which is supposed to prove that you know what the average high school graduate knows. If there's a six-year-old that can place out of that and plans to go into other studies, fine. Same for 16-year-olds. Until you can place out, you should stay in school. If you reach 18 -- then you are an adult and can decide your own future.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:18 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
You *can* opt out here by taking the GED -- General Equivalency Degree?? -- which is supposed to prove that you know what the average high school graduate knows. If there's a six-year-old that can place out of that and plans to go into other studies, fine. Same for 16-year-olds. Until you can place out, you should stay in school. If you reach 18 -- then you are an adult and can decide your own future.
the only problem I see with is is how do the kids pass the state exams that are required as part of their High school diploma? For example, in NYS the students have to have passed so many Regents exams in order to get their High School Diploma. They aren't that hard to pass except things like earth science (and other sciences) require so many lab lessons before they can sit the Regents.

The brighter kids can finish their high school earlier by at least a year but the schools do everything they can to discourage this.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:31 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Ben

The brighter kids can finish their high school earlier by at least a year but the schools do everything they can to discourage this.
....because they'd then lose the federal and state funding for those pupils.

It's a tough balance. If you reward the schools based on "graduating" students, no matter how early, then they'll push them out the door too early. If you reward them based on keeping the kids in the classroom til 18 then some brighter students are held back. Some school districts are enlightened enough to allow students to be registered at the high school level but go to a community college for higher-level coursework. And I believe the GED trumps all exit tests -- if you pass it, you are considered to have the equivalent of a high school diploma.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

Derbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really niceDerbys12 is just really nice
Smile Re: Speak f**kin English !

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
How many times have you heard that ?
I have heard it countless times since being here and I usually give some remark like 'I am f**kin English, it's you who can't speak it'
One afternoon last week as I was driving out of a company in Glens Falls NY I saw a truck slowly pulling in and the driver was so confused, I saw him grabbing his CB mike to talk to me ... "Hey driver is this Pactive corporation ?"
I answered "Yes driver, just pull straight ahead into the trailer parking area and dispatch is on the left"
"Where's dispatch ?"
"On your left when you enter the trailer parking area"
"Where ?"
"On your left"
"Speak f**king English"
"How about I come back there and punch you on your nose you cheeky bastard ? ..... I am English"
"F**kin imigrants" He said.
"Find it yourself asshole"
As I left I heard the yard guy telling him he was lucky not to have a black eye and that to say that to me was a real insult

How often do you get reactions like that ?

Here you are Patrick!, a good site to show your American friends!
Proper English!

Very good site bud!, they might learn summat!!!
Old Jun 5th 2006, 7:49 am
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=snowbunny And I believe the GED trumps all exit tests -- if you pass it, you are considered to have the equivalent of a high school diploma.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but if you want to go on to a good 4 year college you need good SATs and Regents scores along with a High School Diploma. It is my understanding that a GED is frowned upon compared to a High School Diploma. It shouldn't be because there are many reasons why a person doesn't complete their education in school.

Yes, our school district, and I know many in the area, encourage kids to attend local colleges. I was in a Spanish course over the summer last year with a young man who was 16 and completed all the Spanish, including AP, that he could in school.
Old Jun 5th 2006, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

What's English anyway
Old Jun 5th 2006, 11:10 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by California Dreamin'
What's English anyway
welcome california dreamin'...are you a descriptivist by any chance
Old Jun 6th 2006, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

California Dreamin' is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TruBrit
welcome california dreamin'...are you a descriptivist by any chance
I might be I don't know what one of them is though
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derbys12
Here you are Patrick!, a good site to show your American friends!
Proper English!

Very good site bud!, they might learn summat!!!
Ta very much mate
Old Jun 6th 2006, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Patrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond reputePatrick Hasler has a reputation beyond repute

I can remember last summer driving down the NJ pike and chatting to another driver on the CB when some southern asshole told me to go back home. I replied that I would be later on as home was in NY. He then said "We don't need nothin' English over here"
"Really ! ...... Then can we have our language back ?" I asked him.. He spoke no more.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Smaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond reputeSmaug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler
I can remember last summer driving down the NJ pike and chatting to another driver on the CB when some southern asshole told me to go back home. I replied that I would be later on as home was in NY. He then said "We don't need nothin' English over here"
"Really ! ...... Then can we have our language back ?" I asked him.. He spoke no more.
That's hilarious Gotta love the rednecks!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:45 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm meeting a friend today for lunch at a nice little restaurant she recommended and i called ahead to ask if they had a car park and the reception lady said 'what' i repeated myself as to whether they had parking facilities (i know y'all think it's crazy the size of houston but some small restaurants do not) and anyway the woman said she didn't know what i meant so i said 'y'know car/ve-hicle parking space er parking lot' and she said 'oh you mean valet' lol whatever..it's all sooooo terribly hot today to be bothered with this
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:51 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TruBrit
i'm meeting a friend today for lunch at a nice little restaurant she recommended and i called ahead to ask if they had a car park and the reception lady said 'what' i repeated myself as to whether they had parking facilities (i know y'all think it's crazy the size of houston but some small restaurants do not) and anyway the woman said she didn't know what i meant so i said 'y'know car/ve-hicle parking space er parking lot' and she said 'oh you mean valet' lol whatever..it's all sooooo terribly hot today to be bothered with this
You know, this is one that I didn't even realise until our meetup this past weekend. I've always said Car Park & then someone at our meetup (sorry can't remember who it was!) said, you mean Parking Lot? I said, you know what I never had a problem with saying Car Park, I didn't even realise people didn't say that here, or were they wrong? I'm sure I've heard people say Car Park.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.