British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

trinbrit Jun 13th 2011 5:47 pm

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9430013)
Sorry TrinBrit but cannot agree with you ... many years of dealing with 'officialdom' has taught me one VERY valuable lesson..trust with verification!!!. Unless people vent and try to be heard by the powers that be.. they (govt) will just sit on their upholsterd behinds and do nothing.. there are MANY posts on this thread that prove that... broken promises of replies etc...rip off prices for no info.. and the list goes on. Like many people on this site we booked travel allowing for time to deal with hiccups in the system. In my case I want as much face time as I can get with my sick eldest brother. I don't want an emergency travel doc.. that should be reserved for bereavement and dying.. What I want is what everybody wants.... If you tell me four weeks then at least do it in eight!!.if not employ someone who can make contact with applicants... and provide REAL info ..not just leaving out in left field.

and anyway my name is not Capt Mainwaring!!:rofl:

Pls don't get me wrong I hear and agree with you,I am coming into my tenth week or more all I am saying is that it is cleary a prob that dean and his crew didn't for see or expect and it is clearly something that is taking some time to rectify whilst apps still keep coming in,just don't stress ourselves by trying to fix something we can't,I am sure by now dean & staff have more than read this thread and are trying everything poss to get this rectifed I have a twin bro and I have a brother who died years ago so I understand the value of face time as I could not get there in time to see him,and if I knew I was in line before you I would give up my space if it would get you there sooner to be with ur bro,but if you get sick with stress then what good would you be. Trust in god mate I'm sure you will get urs soon.

LexPat Jun 13th 2011 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9429993)
Listen guys let's not panic,someting serious must have happened for this to be delayed to this extent so let's not make it worst with a panic attack,I am sure its being sorted at its highest and hopefully we will see it starting to speed up,come on guys positive thoughts for positive energy....it will come through soon

I don't think anything *serious* happened. We are just numbers to them.

lyonsden1193 Jun 13th 2011 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by LexPat (Post 9430053)

I'll go for that idea.... 1193!!:p

eanne06 Jun 13th 2011 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9430015)
Then you'll be coming back to the US before you head off to Bulgaria. You wrote about your conern getting to the UK without a UK passport... no one here is a mind reader. :)

Ian

Sorry I wasn't more clear. Is there any way to do the interview in the UK, in the event that an interview is required?

aml1982 Jun 13th 2011 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by LexPat (Post 9430053)

I'd have to believe in your case that there has to have been some sort of processing mistake somewhere along the way. Everything I've read in here suggests it's taking 3 or 4 weeks before the initial payment is taken + 6-10 weeks to process after that. For them to have processed your payment almost instantly and then take the best part of 5 months to actually get the passport printed (without them sending you requests for further info or informing you of mistakes)......somewhere, someone misplaced a file or forgot to hit "send" on an email or something.

LexPat Jun 13th 2011 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by aml1982 (Post 9430093)
I'd have to believe in your case that there has to have been some sort of processing mistake somewhere along the way. Everything I've read in here suggests it's taking 3 or 4 weeks before the initial payment is taken + 6-10 weeks to process after that. For them to have processed your payment almost instantly and then take the best part of 5 months to actually get the passport printed (without them sending you requests for further info or informing you of mistakes)......somewhere, someone misplaced a file or forgot to hit "send" on an email or something.

I think you're probably right. One would have hoped that the calls to the Careline would have alerted someone to the problem. My fear is that the application fell through the cracks or they lost the file, etc.

meauxna Jun 13th 2011 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9430087)
Sorry I wasn't more clear. Is there any way to do the interview in the UK, in the event that an interview is required?

You're going to need the UK passport to be eligible to work in Bulgaria, aren't you? Otherwise you will need a visa in your US passport.

eanne06 Jun 13th 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9430109)
You're going to need the UK passport to be eligible to work in Bulgaria, aren't you? Otherwise you will need a visa in your US passport.

Thus is my dilemma. My visa to Bulgaria is supposed to take 30 business days from the date it is turned in. I am still waiting on paperwork from Bulgaria before I can turn in the visa application. I was hoping that the UK passport would be here before I leave for the UK (and then on to Bulgaria), because I know the visa won't be ready and the Bulg. embassy needs my US passport to put the visa stamp on it. My original plan was to leave my US passport at the Bulg embassy for visa processing and travel on my UK passport until the visa was done. But, it isn't looking like that will be a possibility.

meauxna Jun 13th 2011 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9430125)
Thus is my dilemma. My visa to Bulgaria is supposed to take 30 business days from the date it is turned in. I am still waiting on paperwork from Bulgaria before I can turn in the visa application. I was hoping that the UK passport would be here before I leave for the UK (and then on to Bulgaria), because I know the visa won't be ready and the Bulg. embassy needs my US passport to put the visa stamp on it. My original plan was to leave my US passport at the Bulg embassy for visa processing and travel on my UK passport until the visa was done. But, it isn't looking like that will be a possibility.

Oh, I thought you would be working in Bulgaria as a UK citizen (EU work permit).

eanne06 Jun 13th 2011 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9430142)
Oh, I thought you would be working in Bulgaria as a UK citizen (EU work permit).

No, I working there as a Fulbright English Teaching Assistant.

JaniceT Jun 13th 2011 9:13 pm

I am a first time applicant and it's been 8 weeks since I sent out my application. They finally processed payment on the 7th of June. Like many others here I too think the website has not been clear with the 6 weeks turn around time is supposed to be after payment is processed.

I need to head back to Malaysia on the 17th of June for my grandfather is very ill, I really need to get home soon. Unfortunately, my passport is still not here, is there a chance that I could get my application expedited?

Please help!

Bob Jun 13th 2011 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna (Post 9430142)

Wouldn't help I don't think, I think Bulgaria and somewhere else had delays put on them for visa free travel through the EU, so I'd have thought that would have included work too....something to do with corruption.

Could have missed something as I only skimmed the story a couple days ago.

JaniceT Jun 13th 2011 9:17 pm

By the way, the Careline representative I got today was pretty helpful. Finally, someone that sounded like she wanted to help, I had some pretty bad experiences with Careline :/

Bob Jun 13th 2011 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by JaniceT (Post 9430401)
I am a first time applicant and it's been 8 weeks since I sent out my application. They finally processed payment on the 7th of June. Like many others here I too think the website has not been clear with the 6 weeks turn around time is supposed to be after payment is processed.

I need to head back to Malaysia on the 17th of June for my grandfather is very ill, I really need to get home soon. Unfortunately, my passport is still not here, is there a chance that I could get my application expedited?

Please help!

Emergency Travel Document, certainly...no idea about the passport being expedited.

JaniceT Jun 13th 2011 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9430414)
Emergency Travel Document, certainly...no idea about the passport being expedited.

Thank you, I will definitely look into that option as well.