British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

trinbrit Jun 13th 2011 10:45 am

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9426614)
They'd not be work authorised in the US though

point taken

trinbrit Jun 13th 2011 11:55 am

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9429253)
hey eanne06

Well i sent in for my first time PP and was told by Ian (really nice chap and actually spoke to him about 3 or 4 times which i have proof via phone bill and cc payment for the call which will show the tel operator at the time of call) at the PP care line in what i now believe is in Scotland,
as that i too am citizen by descent and sent my documents off to DC on the 1st of April and was received in DC on the 4th Apr,The payment was taken out of my Acct on the 16th of may and it is now the 13th of June...
i was told by Ian at the PP care line that all i needed was copies of my current PP which i sent copies of all three that i have,my original birth certificate and my dads original British Document and that i would be fine with that app they want to see that your parents were married before or after your birth(depending on if that you were born before the 1st Jan 1983 as the citizen by descent is only done once through a generation and that's that,
i was informed from Dean at the Embassy who took the time to read queries and replied that new applicants will be poss be taking as long as 8 to 12 wks after payment is taken so i hope that helps. So if you love Britain as much as me then you will some how find the patience mate.

well unofficially CBD until they tell me so hahaha but my dad is a BC and im just waiting now for it to be official.

lyonsden1193 Jun 13th 2011 2:13 pm

Called careline again this morning and actually got a very nice chap called Steve. seemed genuinely concerned and took all info for escalation. Says will call back in 72 hrs ...here's hoping:blink:!

Ps... did you know it is now 72pence per minute + vat ... wow!

warmachine Jun 13th 2011 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193 (Post 9429641)
Called careline again this morning and actually got a very nice chap called Steve. seemed genuinely concerned and took all info for escalation. Says will call back in 72 hrs ...here's hoping:blink:!

Ps... did you know it is now 72pence per minute + vat ... wow!

Yup, 1p for every hour they keep you waiting on that call back haha.

I called them on Friday morning at 11.30am. It's Monday 7.40am and I still haven't had an email or call from them. Only 4 hours of the 72 hours left, don't think I'll be hearing from them somehow, just like everyone else. Such a shambles.

ian-mstm Jun 13th 2011 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9428680)
Is it a bad idea to leave the States on my US passport?

No... and, in fact, it's your easiest solution. Just use your US passport. AFAIK, there is no obligation to use a UK passport to enter the UK even if you're a UKC... and you'll need your US passport to enter the US afterwards anyway.

Ian

eanne06 Jun 13th 2011 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9429782)
No... and, in fact, it's your easiest solution. Just use your US passport. AFAIK, there is no obligation to use a UK passport to enter the UK even if you're a UKC... and you'll need your US passport to enter the US afterwards anyway.

Ian

Right, but I will not be coming back to the US after I leave. I will be working in Bulgaria for a year. What if I need an interview?

LexPat Jun 13th 2011 4:49 pm

...and you think your passport is taking a long time.

First time application for baby daughter.

Mailed application: Jan 25
CC charged: Jan 29
Called Careline: May 23
Told they would escalate and someone would contact me in 3 days (no call)
Called Careline: May 30
Told they would escalate to supervisor and someone would definitely call me
No call. Also told the info has been entered into the computer but, for some
reason, has not been printed.

No passport yet... just waiting (approx. 18 weeks)

lyonsden1193 Jun 13th 2011 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by warmachine (Post 9429711)
Yup, 1p for every hour they keep you waiting on that call back haha.

I called them on Friday morning at 11.30am. It's Monday 7.40am and I still haven't had an email or call from them. Only 4 hours of the 72 hours left, don't think I'll be hearing from them somehow, just like everyone else. Such a shambles.

totally agree about the shambles... also noticed this A.M that if you go to the embassy website and click thru to where their number should be you get error 404 pop up on your screen.

nsbarker Jun 13th 2011 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by LexPat (Post 9429938)
...and you think your passport is taking a long time.

First time application for baby daughter.

Mailed application: Jan 25
CC charged: Jan 29
Called Careline: May 23
Told they would escalate and someone would contact me in 3 days (no call)
Called Careline: May 30
Told they would escalate to supervisor and someone would definitely call me
No call. Also told the info has been entered into the computer but, for some
reason, has not been printed.

No passport yet... just waiting (approx. 18 weeks)

Good God, please tell me youre kidding.

lyonsden1193 Jun 13th 2011 5:19 pm

Here is part of everybody's frustration ... nobody is kidding!!!! about timelines

As I just said on the other thread ..Change name to Zola Budd(?) tell them you can run ...wait 48hrs and voila..!!!

trinbrit Jun 13th 2011 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by nsbarker (Post 9429982)

Listen guys let's not panic,someting serious must have happened for this to be delayed to this extent so let's not make it worst with a panic attack,I am sure its being sorted at its highest and hopefully we will see it starting to speed up,come on guys positive thoughts for positive energy....it will come through soon

LexPat Jun 13th 2011 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by nsbarker (Post 9429982)

Not kidding.

When I applied for my son's passport about 4 years ago it only took about three weeks. I don't know what's going on now.

I found an email address for the local Consulate in Boston and just sent them an email. I don't know if it will help but I have to cling to whatever shreds of hope I can lol.

nsbarker Jun 13th 2011 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9429993)
Listen guys let's not panic,someting serious must have happened for this to be delayed to this extent so let's not make it worst with a panic attack,I am sure its being sorted at its highest and hopefully we will see it starting to speed up,come on guys positive thoughts for positive energy....it will come through soon

I'm not panicking, I'm just shocked at the waiting time. :blink:

lyonsden1193 Jun 13th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9429993)

Sorry TrinBrit but cannot agree with you ... many years of dealing with 'officialdom' has taught me one VERY valuable lesson..trust with verification!!!. Unless people vent and try to be heard by the powers that be.. they (govt) will just sit on their upholsterd behinds and do nothing.. there are MANY posts on this thread that prove that... broken promises of replies etc...rip off prices for no info.. and the list goes on. Like many people on this site we booked travel allowing for time to deal with hiccups in the system. In my case I want as much face time as I can get with my sick eldest brother. I don't want an emergency travel doc.. that should be reserved for bereavement and dying.. What I want is what everybody wants.... If you tell me four weeks then at least do it in eight!!.if not employ someone who can make contact with applicants... and provide REAL info ..not just leaving out in left field.

and anyway my name is not Capt Mainwaring!!:rofl:

ian-mstm Jun 13th 2011 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by eanne06 (Post 9429838)
What if I need an interview?

Then you'll be coming back to the US before you head off to Bulgaria. You wrote about your conern getting to the UK without a UK passport... no one here is a mind reader. :)

Ian