British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Passport Delays (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/passport-delays-607794/)

British Consul Jun 15th 2011 12:54 am

Re: Passport Delays

Originally Posted by trinbrit (Post 9430974)
Dean
If your app was rejected because of incorrect filling and is sent back for adjustments do you have to pay the full fee again when you send it back with the corrections?

If it's rejected then it will be sent back to you to make corrections. Only one application fee is charged, but you may have to pay additional postage charges.

If it's denied then you will get charged the application fee but not receive a passport.

British Consul Jun 15th 2011 1:01 am

Originally Posted by hotscot (Post 9432200)
This situation is unbelievably ridiculous...months to renew a passport?
And stating 4-6 weeks on the website?

And Careline is next to useless. If someone should call back why aren't they doing it?
Is there no accountability at all?

Someone should be fired over this incompetency.

The complaints procedure is outlined here: http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...ts/contact-us#

cpf Jun 15th 2011 1:23 am

A Passport to Success!

I thought everyone would find this glowing case-study from Careline entertaining reading:

“We rely upon Careline to deliver exceptional service and, at the same time, to
gather intelligence that will help us to understand the impact of our processes on
the applicant and whether the changes we’re bringing about are truly making
things better.”
Caroline Cross,
Head of Passport Policy and Procedures,
FCO

http://www.careline-services.co.uk/d...ine_cs_fco.pdf

Rannix Jun 15th 2011 2:23 am

rant on.
Having finally gotten through to the 'careline' number and trying three different telephones numerous times and not have the system able to process my credit card number.

No other means of entering the credit card information so they cannot help you.
No supervisor on duty to escalate the issue to.

The only suggestion is to call the 900 number and be charged even more.

Got to love outsourcing.

rant off.

Claire Le Jun 15th 2011 2:45 am

Originally Posted by jenmar100 (Post 9432881)
I sent my daughter's passport renewal application on April 22nd and it was received on April 24th (per UPS website). I sent a certified bankers check along with the application. I received the green certified mail receipt on 18th May).
We are hoping to travel to the UK in ten days. I am concerned by reports on here that passports are taking way longer than the 4-6 weeks processing time quoted on the British Embassy website!
I called the careline two weeks ago and was told that we were 'not on the system' and to call back in a few days. I called back again a few days later and was told that the payment was taken on 19th May but that my application could not be escalated until three weeks after payment!! So I called back on 10th June, I was told that someone from Washington would call me back before Tuesday. Today is Tuesday and I have not received a call back, so I called the careline for a fourth time (who knows how much this is all going to cost!!!) and I spoke to a very helpful girl who told me that we are at the data entry stage. Does anyone have a timeline from data entry stage?
I am starting to panic now. When should I call the embassy to get the ETD? IS it something I can get the day before travel?

who did you call??? I am in the same situation with flights booked and I sent off my application in March. Still nothing. I am so stressed. This is so horrible.

AmerLisa Jun 15th 2011 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Claire Le (Post 9433401)
who did you call??? I am in the same situation with flights booked and I sent off my application in March. Still nothing. I am so stressed. This is so horrible.

Try this and under contact....

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...w-to-apply/usa

Btw, when in March did you send off your application? When was payment taken (can you trace it on your credit card?) My husband's was sent off March 4th (received March 9th) and payment was taken on April 1st. He received his passport on May 26th. You can see it took quite a while, I'm thinking if you sent yours off at the end of March it should be coming soonish....

Claire Le Jun 15th 2011 3:09 am

Originally Posted by Amanda F (Post 8373237)
So on the day they charged my card (Feb 17th) I was told it would take 3 weeks to process a renewal from that point.

My travel date is March 4th so I just spoke to Careline today who passed on my flight itnerary info to DC office so the process could be escalated. There is now a 72 working day call back process - which means I have to wait until Monday to get a call back to find out if my renewal can be returned to me in time for the flight.

My application was received Jan 27th and obviously sat for a while, I think the snowstorms added to the delay as the office was unexpectedly closed for extra days.

Anyhow - either way the wording of the processing time has been modified on the website since I mailed in my application - whether the original statement of a ten day processing time was correct or not is irrelevant - it was clearly very misleading. And Careline rep said this too.

This has been an extremely upsetting, stressful and now potentially costly experience.

what was the careline number you called???

Claire Le Jun 15th 2011 3:12 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9433415)

Btw, when in March did you send off your application? When was payment taken (can you trace it on your credit card?) My husband's was sent off March 4th (received March 9th) and payment was taken on April 1st. He received his passport on May 26th. You can see it took quite a while, I'm thinking if you sent yours off at the end of March it should be coming soonish....

it was mailed in on March 24th and arrived on March 30th and payment by bankers cheque was cashed on April 28th. Nothing since. :(

Claire Le Jun 15th 2011 4:53 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 9433415)

Thanks, I hope so. It is such a tedious wait though. I cant stand it.

Claire Le Jun 15th 2011 5:31 am

Originally Posted by magsworld (Post 9403823)
I got my son's passport today. My timeline was

Received at Washington April 11th

Card charged May 19th

Began to get worried as we are flying on June 12th. Last week passport was listed as "processing" but careline could not give me an indication of when it would be ready. They said it would be at least 4 weeks from date of charge.

I asked Dean if he could help and also sent a polite letter to Washington with a copy of my flight details.

Result - received passport today. Just over 7 weeks from start to finish but clearly it would not have happened without the right intervention.

Very thankful that I came across this forum and all the helpful people here.

how do you contact Dean?? I am having terrible anxiety over my passport renewal. I am now at week seven after payment was taken. I fly out in just a few weeks and i have to go home. I sent out my renewal forms in March!!! Who did you mail in Washington? Please send me the address.
I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you. x

Simosa88 Jun 15th 2011 6:22 am

Originally Posted by British Consul (Post 9433257)
It takes a day or so. If it hasn't shown after a while, then there is a problem with the credit card number you provided. You should write and enquire about your application to:

Identity & Passport Service
Regional Passport Processing Centre Manager
19 Observatory Circle NW
Washington DC 20008

Include the tracking number of the package you sent to Washington (UPS or Fedex).

OK but why would the money have been taken from my account if there was something wrong with the credit card number? Sorry for the persistent questions.

British Consul Jun 15th 2011 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Simosa88 (Post 9433731)
OK but why would the money have been taken from my account if there was something wrong with the credit card number? Sorry for the persistent questions.

Simosa,

You'll have to write to the address I gave you. I can't do anything for you here I'm afraid.

Dean

Jerseygirl Jun 15th 2011 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Claire Le (Post 9433648)
how do you contact Dean?? I am having terrible anxiety over my passport renewal. I am now at week seven after payment was taken. I fly out in just a few weeks and i have to go home. I sent out my renewal forms in March!!! Who did you mail in Washington? Please send me the address.
I would really appreciate any help.
Thank you. x

Read through this thread...the information is there.

ian-mstm Jun 15th 2011 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Claire Le (Post 9433648)
how do you contact Dean??

Dean made several posts immediately above and below yours. His username is British Consul. Click on his username and check out his profile.

Ian

AmerLisa Jun 15th 2011 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Claire Le (Post 9433433)
it was mailed in on March 24th and arrived on March 30th and payment by bankers cheque was cashed on April 28th. Nothing since. :(

So a few weeks later than my husbands..... I bet yours will be along shortly. It really does take 12 weeks from the time you mailed it. This will be the 12th week since you mailed it, so going on that, you should have it this week or beginning of next. :fingerscrossed: